Sign in to follow this  
2nd ranger

New Skylake system issues

Hi, I just put together a brand new system, and I'm having some performance issues. My specs are:

ASUS Z170-A

I7 6700k 4ghz

GTX 970

16gb HyperX DDR4 2666mhz

Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

Windows 7 home premium

Overall FPS is fine. With vsync off I get around 70-80 most of the time. But every so often I experience short freezes, where FPS will drop to something like 20, then go back up after a second. There doesn't seem to be any particular pattern to it. A couple of times in MP I've had very bad FPS drops where it will go down to about 10fps, then it might correct itself if I do something like open the options menu then come back out.

Has anyone had similar issues? Does it sound CPU or GPU related? After some googling, I tried turning off C-states in BIOS but that didn't help. The CPU is lightly overclocked to 4.2ghz.

Probably unrelated information, but:

The SSD still had all my data from my previous PC, including Windows which is now in a 'Windows.old' folder. Windows was reinstalled.

Nvidia Shadowplay does not allow me to record video while playing A3 (a red strike through the icon).

Another issue I had even on my old system is that if I play a mission that has very bad FPS with alot of stuff going on, the next mission I play will also have bad FPS unless I restart Arma. I suspect this is GPU-related because the GTX 970 was carried over from my old PC.

Hi, I just put together a brand new system, and I'm having some performance issues. My specs are:

ASUS Z170-A

I7 6700k 4ghz

GTX 970

16gb HyperX DDR4 2666mhz

Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

Windows 7 home premium

Overall FPS is fine. With vsync off I get around 70-80 most of the time. But every so often I experience short freezes, where FPS will drop to something like 20, then go back up after a second. There doesn't seem to be any particular pattern to it. A couple of times in MP I've had very bad FPS drops where it will go down to about 10fps, then it might correct itself if I do something like open the options menu then come back out.

Has anyone had similar issues? Does it sound CPU or GPU related? After some googling, I tried turning off C-states in BIOS but that didn't help. The CPU is lightly overclocked to 4.2ghz.

Probably unrelated information, but:

The SSD still had all my data from my previous PC, including Windows which is now in a 'Windows.old' folder. Windows was reinstalled.

Nvidia Shadowplay does not allow me to record video while playing A3 (a red strike through the icon).

Another issue I had even on my old system is that if I play a mission that has very bad FPS with alot of stuff going on, the next mission I play will also have bad FPS unless I restart Arma. I suspect this is GPU-related because the GTX 970 was carried over from my old PC.

I have the same CPU and GPU and have neither issue.

Try using Intel XTU or similar software to monitor CPU temperatures and any throttling. Skylake can throttle if the CPU power draw gets too high, which is possible if you have voltages too high.

Try flush command:

-Press the LEFT Shift key + the NUMPAD Minus key together.

-Type flush