plutoto74

Why arma 3 is less realistic than other games on some points ?

I would agree that ArmA's 3D scopes are certainly less realistic than other games that do 3D scopes, but I also find 3D scopes to be less realistic than 2D scopes in general. 3D scopes usually limit field of view and resolution far more than a 2D representation. Also, 3D scopes with free aim just make no sense at all.. The view should be fixed through the scope.. and if its fixed, why bother with a 3D scope at all?

I agree that the view should be fixed to the scope, but 3D scopes have their own realistic aspects; parallax, scope shadow, misaligment.

• Like 1

I agree that the damage system is a huge problem. Do you know the moment if the enemy is wobbling while shooting him. I mean you now that you hit him but that looks kinda ugly and it's not that realistic as it should be.

Adrenaline? :P I guess it depends where you hit them.

Probably because arma isn't actually a very realistic game? But it's just become such a thing people think that that's what everyone just says. When you really think about it there really isn't a whole lot that that's very, if at all, realistic about arma. The things you mentioned are but 2 of many examples, one being a technical limitations(the scopes) that with the current engine(or probably any due to the size of the maps) are never going to change. While the grenade thing is a complete mystery as to why they chose to go about it in such an infuriatingly unrealistic, dangerous and arcadey way.

In the end, it was billed as a "Military shooter" which is about as vague as you can get as pretty much every shooter out there could be classified as a "Military shooter"(CoD, BF, RO, etc) so that really doesn't say much.

Only things I can really think of that I'd actually consider realistic in arma is it's ballistic system and advanced flight model(for helicopters only mind you..) Other than that there really isn't anything realistic.

Actually i would like to see grenade throwing system like in Squad. Left click for throwing frag/smoke far away and right mouse click for throwing it up close (for example into the building). Butas far as i know there isnot throwable physics in the game as of yet so im not sure if that would be of use (example throwing frag short into the building knowing the inertia is in place and frag will bounce/roll further). Maybe some form of grenade cooking for PTSD too? Then ability to grab frag/smoke that landed under your feet and return it to the enemy that would be lols but nice detail.

Damage system is something that BI has been struggling with for a long time. The basic problem is that while it's rare to kill a person instantly in a single shot, it's quite common to incapacitate your target with just one bullet. I think that the current system does approximate that in a decent way, though with the "revive" system currently under development, this may improve further. It's also compounded by the lack of bleeding and dismemberment. IRL, taking a large round in the arm wouldn't kill or even incapacitate you (like in ArmA), but it will cause you to bleed out quickly unless you do something about it, not to mention depriving you of being able to use that arm. A unit that has lost an arm is "dead" as far as the mission is considered, so it's an understandable simplification. It would be more immersive to have the unit in an incapacitated state, able to be medevaced for some future benefits, but it'd require a much better medical system. 

The damage system in ArmA3 is actually surprisingly detailed, it's just that not all that much is done with it. It has many "hitboxes" which could become a foundation of a much more advanced system. I think that with further development of the Revive feature, we might actually see that happen. America's Army 3 was particularly in-depth about its medical system, I think ArmA could take some clues from that.

I believe that grenades should be done more like in America's Army 3, as well. A separate "weapon" to be equipped, with pulling the pin being a separate action from throwing. That way, a far more extensive functionality could be implemented ("firemodes" for different ways of throwing, for example). They could certainly use better physics, too (bouncing, throwing back, etc.).

There are certainly areas where A3 could improve on realism (in particular, vehicle simulation and damage system), but it's better than its predecessors. 

There are certainly areas where A3 could improve on realism (in particular, vehicle simulation and damage system), but it's better than its predecessors. 

Vehicles and weapons from RHS mods actually have very realistic damaging systems.

Instead vehicles simply blowing up, they have detailed after effect/spalling when being hit by anti tank weapons. Most of all, their weapons effects also apply to non-RHS vehicles.

Wish the scope adjustments were a bit more realistic. The 100 meter increments is far from realistic. 

Have you tried the ACE3 mod?

From what I gather it offers greater realism in many aspects.

Have you tried the ACE3 mod?

From what I gather it offers greater realism in many aspects.

I agree, but I play a lot of MP games and I don't believe it is usable?

You seem one of those types that will always find something to complain about, no matter how good the current situation is :)

You seem one of those types that will always find something to complain about, no matter how good the current situation is :)

That was a bit rude.

I recommend ACE3 it is playable and a very good mod you need the compatibility patch if you are using CUPs and RHS. Its worth a try since I can hit bad guys over a kilometer away.

Has throwing grenades back at the enemy ever happened in real life? I don't know about you but if I was a soldier and a grenade landed that close to me, I would be diving for cover or at the very least trying to get as low as I could. Not trying to throw it within the 4 seconds I might have before it blows my hand off and fills me with shrapnel.

• Like 1

Has throwing grenades back at the enemy ever happened in real life? I don't know about you but if I was a soldier and a grenade landed that close to me, I would be diving for cover or at the very least trying to get as low as I could. Not trying to throw it within the 4 seconds I might have before it blows my hand off and fills me with shrapnel.

It probably happened, but not a common practice as depicted in movies or Call of Duty.

Throwing a grenade back is certainly very risky, you can't know how much time the fuse has left, nor what type of fuse it has to begin with.

a four second fuse, being thrown at maximum distance, would have at more a second before detonation. 

I agree with the damage model. Another thing that I think Arma definitely should get right, but doesn't, is weapon handling mechanics. That should be quite simple (although they would need two reloading animations for each weapon instead of just one). I'm amazed that Arma, after so many years as a fairly authentic shooter, doesn't get such a simple detail right. If you keep a bullet in the chamber then reloading is a bit faster, because you only have to switch the mag. Except in Arma, of course, where it doesn't make a difference. The +1 bullet in the chamber can also make a significant difference for marksman rifles with few rounds per mag.

Having spent so many hours in real life practicing not emptying a clip completely, it's weird to play a shooter where you're basically rewarded for emptying a clip, due to lack of mag repacking in the vanilla game.

That said, for most other "realism" aspects: I value the feeling of authenticity over realism, and I think Arma 3 does a great job of balancing authenticity with fun.

ACE is actualy made for MP. And it works perfectly well in MP.  I didnt try ARMA 3 ACE in single player, but in Arma 2 ACE didnt work wery well in SP, so it was actualy only usable in MP. And i gues ARMA 3 version wouldnt be different. SO if you play Exclusively MP then ACE is the thing you need. 

And i guarantee you ACE is AWESOME! :-)

• Like 1

It probably happened, but not a common practice as depicted in movies or Call of Duty.

Throwing a grenade back is certainly very risky, you can't know how much time the fuse has left, nor what type of fuse it has to begin with.

a four second fuse, being thrown at maximum distance, would have at more a second before detonation.

I've read a bunch of accounts of it being done in WWII - didn't they used to "cook off" grenades by holding them in their hands for a few extra seconds to insure they couldn't be thrown back ? I think AA3 had that ability...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ACE is actualy made for MP. And it works perfectly well in MP.  I didnt try ARMA 3 ACE in single player, but in Arma 2 ACE didnt work wery well in SP, so it was actualy only usable in MP. And i gues ARMA 3 version wouldnt be different. SO if you play Exclusively MP then ACE is the thing you need. 

And i guarantee you ACE is AWESOME! :-)

I'll have to find a server that has ACE on it then. Could you recommend any? :)

I've read a bunch of accounts of it being done in WWII - didn't they used to "cook off" grenades by holding them in their hands for a few extra seconds to insure they couldn't be thrown back ? I think AA3 had that ability...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An American Grenade has a 4 second fuse, try doing that and you're likely to blow your hand off. The whole point of the spoon on a Grenade is to ensure the fuse doesn't start till the Grenade is already out of your hand. 

I'll have to find a server that has ACE on it then. Could you recommend any? :)

Fly-German.de was allways my favorite Coop server. They have 2 servers. I used to play on server 2 because server 1 required too much mods to play. Server two was just CBA, ACE, TFAR, RH, and BW.  But i didnt play since April. (No time to play) so iam not sure if they still use the same mods.

Just filter for ACE in Playwithsix server browser and you will see. 

ACE works well for single player just as good as it does for Multiplayer, it always has, both in A2 and A3  it just depends on what modules you use.

I'd love to see the secondary explosions/cook offs back.

I'd love to see the secondary explosions/cook offs back.

They still didnt add them? That was allways my favorite thing in A2´s ACE.