scottb613

Arma 3 and 21:9 monitors ?

Hi Folks,

I've been in the market to upgrade my monitor - I've heard some good things about the 21:9 ultra wide monitors in other sims.... Any feedback in performance with Arma 3 ? I would think it might give you a more realistic sense of peripheral vision... Any thoughts welcome...

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

I was in the same position a few months ago. A 21:9 screen looks very sleek on the desk but I decided against it because I need the monitor not only for gaming but also for productivity. I didn't want to buy a screen which sacrificed a lot of the vertical space you get in traditional designs. I finally bought this one: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_bdm4065uc.htmThe idea was to play ArmA in a 21:9 window. But I found that my graphics card could handle ArmA in the full resolution, so I gave up the idea.

• Like 1

I own a 34' Dell U3415W Curved Monitor (IPS 21:9 panel - resolution 3440x1440) which is by far the best purchase i made in quite some time. yes it is more expensive than your your average monitor, but damn it is worth it. I am now running a single monitor instead of my former 2x1080p monitors. From a productivity POV, works really damn great, at least from myPOV i now have space for all my working tools and toolbar on the same monitor instead of moving them about on the secondary monitor.
From a performace POV, for course jumping from 1920x1080 to 3440x1440 means less FPS, hence i have ordered yesterday a new gtx1070 to replace my current GTX 780TI
W1Ucl5b.jpg

EDIT:
don't bother with 2560 x 1080 21:9 monitors..is not worth it if you ask me

• Like 4

Would be intrested if the new graphics card will compensate the higher resolution.
(also thinking about getting a 3440x1440)

I just bought this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009869 along with a gtx1080 - i can tell you it works perfect with Arma3.

And dont worry about productivity its great for that too.

Preivious i had this http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus-launches-designo-series-mx299q-ultrawide-219-cinematic-monitor.html its under 1/2 the price of the Acer - but 21:9 is so great - absolutely recommend it.

Would be intrested if the new graphics card will compensate the higher resolution.

(also thinking about getting a 3440x1440)

to be honest, i don't have real issues with the current 780TI, but since my other PC is in a dire need of a GPU upgrade(amd 7970), it only makes sense to buy the gtx 1070 for the bigger screen and move the 780TI to the PC i still use 2x 1920x1080 monitors with (so i only play in 1080p resolution there).

3440x1440 here and would never go back.

Arma fully supports the Aspect Ratio perfectly.

Went from a 3 x 24" Triple Screen to one 3440x1440 plus a 1920x1080 (just for TS and other small stuff which I could easely live without)

HI Folks,

Hmm - sounds really promising - appreciate the feedback...

I'm still running my old 4:3 1600x1200 on a top end GTX970 - so this will be a major step for me...

Regards,

Scott

I'm still running my old 4:3 1600x1200 on a top end GTX970 - so this will be a major step for me...

a 970 should handle it. besides you really don't need to push supersampling above 100-125% anymore

3440x1440 here and would never go back.

Arma fully supports the Aspect Ratio perfectly.

Went from a 3 x 24" Triple Screen to one 3440x1440 plus a 1920x1080 (just for TS and other small stuff which I could easely live without)

Pretty much the same as myself, ditched triple monitor and SLi and now run 3440x1440 from a single Titan. Looking to upgrade to a 1080 at some point later this year as the Titan is getting a little old now (first gen).

The change from the triple monitor actually upped performance and the visual fidelity increased as well, less pixels to shift overall but more where you actually see them.

I wont be going back to triple monitor anytime soon.

Why not just go for a full 4k monitor?  3840 x 2160 vs 3440x1440  , 21:9 will look like a 4k monitor chopped which is what it is.

lots more sky with the 4k and in arma things kill ya from the sky :)

Why not just go for a full 4k monitor?  3840 x 2160 vs 3440x1440  , 21:9 will look like a 4k monitor chopped which is what it is.

Just wondering is the field of view actually lower with the 3840 x 2160? Or does the FoV increase both vertically and horizontally?

Looking to upgrade to a 1080 at some point later this year as the Titan is getting a little old now (first gen).

#pcmasterrace   :lol:

I'm using a 29" 2560*1080 freesync monitor (It's an LG, I can't remember the exact model number), and contrary to common wisdom, I think that it's absolutely great. Don't expect to get 1440p levels of cripness, but that wasn't what I was going for when I bought it. It works great with ARMA, the only caveat being that some of the UI elements are a little far away. But, as a size, 2560x1080 works great, and it was a steal at a shade over £200, which was at LEAST £300 cheaper than any equivalent 1440x3440.

The FOV is far better on a 21:9, and performs better than a 4K where you get shot by people you don't even see because they are out of your peripheral vision.

We still have the exact same vertical FOV as your 4K, just a good deal more to the sides.

4K is a mugs game, they are selling you shit you don't even need (unless you have an 80" TV and those pixels look like bricks). it is like PPI, only in the form of a screen.

And those black bars you have on your 4k when watching a movie on it, well those pixels aren't wasted on a 21:9. ;)

Think of 21:9 as when you are sat at the cinema and the curtains fully open after the adds. Welcome to 21:9.

• Like 1

The FOV is far better on a 21:9, and performs better than a 4K where you get shot by people you don't even see because they are out of your peripheral vision.

We still have the exact same vertical FOV as your 4K, just a good deal more to the sides.

4K is a mugs game, they are selling you shit you don't even need (unless you have an 80" TV and those pixels look like bricks). it is like PPI, only in the form of a screen.

And those black bars you have on your 4k when watching a movie on it, well those pixels aren't wasted on a 21:9. ;)

Think of 21:9 as when you are sat at the cinema and the curtains fully open after the adds. Welcome to 21:9.

You have more pixels both on the vertical and horizontal on a 4k monitor and your 21:9 will fit  inside of the 4k screen with black borders top bottom and sides, so all that black can be used with the right setting to give you a better fov both vertical and horizontal or am i wrong?

Is Win10 finally capable to scale text properly in all applications or is it still hard on the eyes to read some text on a 4k monitor?

Back when I got my 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawidescreen that was one of the many reasons why to choose a 3440x1440 monitor over a 4k for productive work.

But anyway. IF I would need a new monitor now... I would go out and shop for a Predator X34 or a ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 

3440x1440, curved, G-Sync, up to 100Hz OC Panel

The ONLY issue I have with those screens is IPS Glow. Many devices have a backlight bleed in the corners, which can be annoying if you are looking into a dark screen..

You have more pixels both on the vertical and horizontal on a 4k monitor and your 21:9 will fit  inside of the 4k screen with black borders top bottom and sides, so all that black can be used with the right setting to give you a better fov both vertical and horizontal or am i wrong?

FOV has nothing to do with screen resolution - the only advantage is pixel density, no other advantage to it from a fov perspective WHATSOEVER

Below, for the same FOV settings

a. 21:  9 - background (2560x1080, 3440x1440)

b. 16.10 - the non overlayed centered image , up to blue borders (mostly pro grade monitors running 1920x1200 / 2560x1600)

c. 16:  9 - up to red borders (most common, 1920x1080, 2560x1440, 3840x2160-[4k], 5120x2880[5k] )

dkJKBU8.jpg

• Like 4

Arma 3 works well with 21:9.

I use 2560x1080 on a 34" LG Screen.

Hi Folks,

Think you sold me on 21:9 - just out of curiosity - anyone know if the 21:9 FOV near what our normal FOV is in real life ? Been looking at the posted images and it appears in the same ball park... The one drawback I've seen mentioned with the really wide monitors is that light bleed on the edges... I've been leaning towards the Dell model as I've had good experiences with them on monitors...

Regards,

Scott

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Think you sold me on 21:9 - just out of curiosity - anyone know if the 21:9 FOV near what our normal FOV is in real life ? Been looking at the posted images and it appears in the same ball park... The one drawback I've seen mentioned with the really wide monitors is that light bleed on the edges... I've been leaning towards the Dell model as I've had good experiences with them on monitors...

Regards,

Scott

FOV depends on the game settings and are not directly tied up to the resolution, but if you mean a normal FOV value without distorting the image to much you are a bit away from a real 180 degrees FOV.

The drawback with large horizontal resolution combined with a wide FOV is that the picture gets stretched against the edges of the screen, and objects at the center looks further away than they really are.

If I try to run arma on my triple screen setup(5760x1080) the picture becomes very distorted at the edges. And if I compensate with narrowing the FOV to get more realistic proportions of objects I run out of vertical space. 1080 are not enough vertical resolution.

My dream setup would be nine screens, (or even better one giant screen) in 5760x3240 to get a more realistic FOV without distortion :)

Hi Folks,

Regards,

Scott

from the available models i do recommend the following

Dell (same as mine - IPS panel) - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3415w.htm- not really a high refresh rate twitch gaming monitor - 60Hz

Acer (IPS panel) - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm - gaming monitor - AMD Freesync 75Hz

Asus (IPS panel) - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg348q.htm - gaming monitor - nVidia G-sync 100Hz

Samsung (TN panel) - http://www.digitaltrends.com/monitor-reviews/samsung-s34e790c-review/ - multipurpose - 60Hz

The IPS glow on my Dell is pretty low to be honest, you can only see it when in pitch dark on a darkish image. I do miss the USB on the side of it like i have on my other 2 24' monitors though. Otherwise, as i said, one of the best purchases i made. everytime i move from it to my other 2x1080p setup i gag a bit

The maximum visual range for humans is 

a. 135 vertically

b. 180 horizontally.

which translates into 1.3 aspect ratio btw.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Drama said:

Is it really worth paying additional 500$ to get the monitor with gsync? 

i have the acer model PuFu has linked above, gsync maybe be a little better than freesync but 500 bux better! not a chance imo..

41 minutes ago, FatFukinLenny said:

i have the acer model PuFu has linked above, gsync maybe be a little better than freesync but 500 bux better! not a chance imo..

yeah that is what im thinking. I got a gtx 1070 and i love it, so Freesync wont help me at all.

So, here a little overview for the current market in Europe(correct me if I am wrong please):

1. 4k UHD - 3840x2160 - 16:9 - without Gsync:

•     Price: from 340€
  •     different models: 98

2. 4k UHD - 3840x2160 - 16:9 - with Gsync:

•     Price: from 600€
  •     different models: 6

3. UWQHD - 3440x1440 - 21:9 - without Gsync:

1.     curved
  •     Price: from 680€
  •     different models: 20
  1.     normal
  •     Price: from 540€
  •     different models: 10

4. UWQHD - 3440x1440 - 21:9 - with Gsync:

1.     curved
  •     Price: from 1200€
  •     different models: 2
  1.     normal
  •     Price: from €
  •     different models: 0

sadly i never had Gsync before and can't really say if its worth paying the additional 150++€ for it...