duda123

Advanced Rappelling

Unfortunately this didn't work either

That puzzles me. I've tried leaveVehicle right now in the editor. Works like a charm, even without the jointSilent command I had to add one year ago. It looks like they fixed the bug. But maybe I misunderstood your problem ?  Here is what I did :

. place a unit on the map (player);

. put a CH-67 Huron with its crew; name it testheli;

. put a fireteam in the Huron as cargo; name its leader testleader;

. create a trigger; Activation : radio alpha; in the onAct field write : {_x leaveVehicle testheli} foreach units group testleader;

. create another trigger; Activation : radio beta; in the onAct field write : testleader move position player;

. activate radio alpha : the cargo group leaves the heli and stays around;

. activate radio beta : the group moves to your position.

Tested with crewed and empty helis. It also works when controlling the group in HC.

That puzzles me. I've tried leaveVehicle right now in the editor. Works like a charm, even without the jointSilent command I had to add one year ago. It looks like they fixed the bug. But maybe I misunderstood your problem ?  Here is what I did :

. place a unit on the map (player);

. put a CH-67 Huron with its crew; name it testheli;

. put a fireteam in the Huron as cargo; name its leader testleader;

. create a trigger; Activation : radio alpha; in the onAct field write : {_x leaveVehicle testheli} foreach units group testleader;

. create another trigger; Activation : radio beta; in the onAct field write : testleader move position player;

. activate radio alpha : the cargo group leaves the heli and stays around;

. activate radio beta : the group moves to your position.

Tested with crewed and empty helis. It also works when controlling the group in HC.

I think it has something to do with me taking the cargo crew out of the vehicle (via moveOut). If I simply do leaveVehicle and let them get out on their own (by landing) it works fine.

See if this works for you:

Place your heli in the air, and give it two waypoints. In the first waypoint's activation put:

testheli setVelocity [0,0,0];

{

moveOut _x;

waitUntil { not (_x in testheli ) };

_x setPos [(getPos _x) select 0, (getPos _x) select 1, 0];

} forEach units testleader;

(group testleader) leaveVehicle testheli;

Then, see if the heli keeps moving to its next waypoint. From what I've seen it just says put. However, if there's at least one unit still in the heli (say you don't move all of testleader's units out), the heli will land, unload that unit, and then move on to the next waypoint as expected.

For example, this should work (moving out everyone except the testleader):

{

moveOut _x;

waitUntil { not (_x in testheli ) };

_x setPos [(getPos _x) select 0, (getPos _x) select 1, 0];

} forEach ((units testleader) - [testleader]);

(group testleader) leaveVehicle testheli;

Ok, this worked for me :

{moveOut _x; waitUntil {not (_x in testheli )};_x setPos [(getPos _x) select 0, (getPos _x) select 1, 0];} forEach units testleader; 
(group testleader) leaveVehicle testheli; {unassignVehicle _x} foreach units (group testleader); 

as well as this :

testheli setVelocity [0,0,0];{moveOut _x; waitUntil {not (_x in testheli )}; _x setPos [(getPos _x) select 0, (getPos _x) select 1, 0];} forEach units testleader; 
{[_x] orderGetIn false} foreach units (group testleader);

The former definitively unassigns the vehicle, when the latter offers an option to re-embark the same vehicle later on using orderGetIn true.

With this code the chopper flies to the first WP, moves the crew out, and then moves towards the second waypoint. I've also added a trigger to move the group once disembarked and that works.

I hope this helps :)

Ok, this worked for me :

{moveOut _x; waitUntil {not (_x in testheli )};_x setPos [(getPos _x) select 0, (getPos _x) select 1, 0];} forEach units testleader; 
(group testleader) leaveVehicle testheli; {unassignVehicle _x} foreach units (group testleader);
as well as this :

testheli setVelocity [0,0,0];{moveOut _x; waitUntil {not (_x in testheli )}; _x setPos [(getPos _x) select 0, (getPos _x) select 1, 0];} forEach units testleader; 
{[_x] orderGetIn false} foreach units (group testleader);
The former definitively unassigns the vehicle, when the latter offers an option to re-embark the same vehicle later on using orderGetIn true.

With this code the chopper flies to the first WP, moves the crew out, and then moves towards the second waypoint. I've also added a trigger to move the group once disembarked and that works.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks - will try these out

v1.2 Released

https://github.com/sethduda/AdvancedRappelling/releases/tag/1.2

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=713709341

• Minor adjustments to rappelling sounds to improve timing 
  • Fixed issues with AR_Rappel_All_Cargo (editor-placed cargo groups now work and should support every heli) - Thanks Igitur for your support!
  • Reduced max rappel speeds. Action is only available under 100km/h. Players will fall from rope if heli reaches 150 km/h while rappelling.
  • Added ability for pilot to rappel if engine is off
  • Improved timing of AI rappelling (they don't all jump at once now)

For those who use the AR_Rappel_All_Cargo function: This function will now rappel ALL units that aren't part of the heli pilot's group, regardless of seat assignment.

• Like 2

Hi duda123,

That's a really good mod, and a nice work. Thanks for the effort you make to give us a such ysefull mod.

I have some questions :

1/: If I understand that well :

You can define custom rappel points instead of using the default 6 rappel points by using the AP_CUSTOM_RAPPEL_POINTS variable.

That mean that if we want to use the mod with modded choppers, we must define personnal values to make the ropes correctly placed on the model ? Normally yes, because I've just tested with a modded chopper and the ropes supports are not on the model but at some meters in the back left. We must define particular position for that or we just have to add the choppers classnames in the Override section and that will automatically applied ?

2/: Why don't you use the animation used with the FRIES from ACE ? Your mod is better because with the FRIES, there's always a moment when the character fall and die... But with yours, we can really go lower than with FRIES.

3/: [EDIT : I see that you already answered, sorry] Do you think it's possible to have a variant of this mod for being able to create this kind of mod for rappelling from roofs, or even rocks ? That should be really great if we can be inserted in area by chopper and rappelling, then engage hostiles from rooftops then deploy ropes and go down from the roof with a similar method. That's a just a question, do you think it's possible ?

Hi duda123,

That's a really good mod, and a nice work. Thanks for the effort you make to give us a such ysefull mod.

I have some questions :

1/: If I understand that well :

That mean that if we want to use the mod with modded choppers, we must define personnal values to make the ropes correctly placed on the model ? Normally yes, because I've just tested with a modded chopper and the ropes supports are not on the model but at some meters in the back left. We must define particular position for that or we just have to add the choppers classnames in the Override section and that will automatically applied ?

2/: Why don't you use the animation used with the FRIES from ACE ? Your mod is better because with the FRIES, there's always a moment when the character fall and die... But with yours, we can really go lower than with FRIES.

3/: Do you think it's possible to have a variant of this mod for being able to create this kind of mod for rappelling from roofs, or even rocks ? That should be really great if we can be inserted in area by chopper and rappelling, then engage hostiles from rooftops then deploy ropes and go down from the roof with a similar method. That's a just a question, do you think it's possible ?

No, it should work with all modded choppers without any custom rappel points. The AP_CUSTOM_RAPPEL_POINTS variable is just if you want to attach the ropes to a specific point on the chopper, instead of the default 6 positions on the bottom of the chopper.

Not sure which animation you're referring to, but the mod was built to be server side only, meaning that client's don't need it. This means that custom animations aren't possible. However, I'm working on an optional animation for rappelling (hopefully coming out soon) which will be used if a client has the addon installed locally.

Yes, rappelling from buildings and rocks is in the works. Coming out soon: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/192197-rappelling-from-structures-wip/

about the rappeling sound...

the clients need the addon installed then aswell...

but what about this...

if we add only the 3 soundfiles in the missionfile the addon itself can stay serverside only

what do we need to change in the serverside files to get that working?

i know how to add the files as sound in description.ext but im sure the adddon cfg would overwrite it afterwards

I asked this earlier, but I dont think I got a response.

Would it be possible to add in a "Hoist" system to rescue "Man" class  from

Water, Ground, High rise building etc.

Also would it be possible to indicate to the player that the rappel rope is touching the ground ?

• Like 1

Hi,

No, it should work with all modded choppers without any custom rappel points. The AP_CUSTOM_RAPPEL_POINTS variable is just if you want to attach the ropes to a specific point on the chopper, instead of the default 6 positions on the bottom of the chopper.

Not sure which animation you're referring to, but the mod was built to be server side only, meaning that client's don't need it. This means that custom animations aren't possible. However, I'm working on an optional animation for rappelling (hopefully coming out soon) which will be used if a client has the addon installed locally.

Yes, rappelling from buildings and rocks is in the works. Coming out soon: https://forums.bistu...structures-wip/

Thanks for the answer. I just asked because I see ropes support being attached out of modded choppers. I will test again, and post a screenshot if you want.

I refering to the animation of the position when the character go down in the rope with the FRIES. The one in the mod you make is good too, just that the one used by the FRIES is more realistic. But I still prefer this mod to the FRIES, we can go down longer.

Thanks for the info about the buildings/rocks version. I'll check that.

but what about this...

if we add only the 3 soundfiles in the missionfile the addon itself can stay serverside only

i know how to add the files as sound in description.ext but im sure the adddon cfg would overwrite it afterwards

Yes, you can add the sounds to the mission:

1. Include the CfgSound class (found here: https://github.com/sethduda/AdvancedRappelling/blob/master/addons/AR_AdvancedRappelling/config.cpp ) in your description.ext file.

2. Remove directory path from file names in that class. (E.g change \AR_AdvancedRappelling\sounds\AR_Rappel_Loop.ogg to AR_Rappel_Loop.ogg)

3. Place sound files (also found in github project in your mission's root directory.

That should be all that's needed

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I just asked because I see ropes support being attached out of modded choppers. I will test again, and post a screenshot if you want.

I refering to the animation of the position when the character go down in the rope with the FRIES. The one in the mod you make is good too, just that the one used by the FRIES is more realistic. But I still prefer this mod to the FRIES, we can go down longer.

Thanks for the info about the buildings/rocks version. I'll check that.

Doesn't the FRIES animation have the player on the rope like they're sliding down a pole?

I asked this earlier, but I dont think I got a response.

Would it be possible to add in a "Hoist" system to rescue "Man" class  from

Water, Ground, High rise building etc.

Also would it be possible to indicate to the player that the rappel rope is touching the ground ?

Yes, it would be possible. Wether or not I will have time - maybe :)

Yes, I could add an alert if you start rappelling and the heli is too high. Although, I'm a little more inclined to just let players judge by looking down. Also, the rope is long enough to support long rappels, so unless your're rappelling from 60m+, it won't be a problem.

but what about this...

Also, the clients aren't required to have the addon. I usually install the addon via the serverMod command line arg and then put the mod's key in the servers key folder. That will cause the addon to appear as an optional addon when joining server. Players without addon just won't hear the sounds.

Players without addon just won't hear the sounds.

that is what i meant with they need it installed ^^

that is what i meant with they need it installed ^^

Oh ok - let me know if the description.ext file hanged work for you.

You have done an excellent job with this mod. I do have a question, though. I thought I saw a video of rappelling from buildings. Is that feature still WIP, or did I miss a setting somewhere? 

You have done an excellent job with this mod. I do have a question, though. I thought I saw a video of rappelling from buildings. Is that feature still WIP, or did I miss a setting somewhere? 

I think that is being made as a separate addon

Oh ok - let me know if the description.ext file hanged work for you.

alright...

the sound stuff works fine... =)

and i found a bug

if you hang on the rope... and the heli flies over 150 you are detached...

when you get into the heli again (after respawning after death ^^) and try to rappel again you are detached immediately...

i guess its this line which detaches you in case of speed > 150 which isnt resetted to false and detaches you right away

line 554: _player setVariable ["AR_Detach_Rope",true];

Hey duda, i was thinking about how you addressed my concern and i forgot to respond.. THANKS.. I have another Idea. bear with me..

Again its your mod however, with the speed thingy...

reduce the (Safe) repel speed to 50KMPH and below.

then from 51 up to 150 kmph.  your avatar starts to slip down the rope... so say around 55-60kmph your have a random chance to slip maybe a half a meter down the rope.  then as the helicopter speed increases to 100 and over the sliding gets more and more exadurated (as if the avater is loosing grip) Until, if by chance that their still holding on around 150kmph they just slide right off..

what do you think about that idea?

• Like 1

Hi,

Doesn't the FRIES animation have the player on the rope like they're sliding down a pole? 

Yes, it's exactly that kind of animation.

But I don't say anything bad about your mod of course, it's a nice and need one.

I just try to speak about things I see here and there to you if I can find some elements you want/can add or modify. I just find that the rope down animation from FRIES is really adapted. I've read and understand what you said about the actual animation of course.

Again, it's just a suggestion, but if you have a way to get the same animation, that can be nice.

But that's really a detail, the mod is already great ! Thanks again for this work.

alright...

the sound stuff works fine... =)

and i found a bug

if you hang on the rope... and the heli flies over 150 you are detached...

when you get into the heli again (after respawning after death ^^) and try to rappel again you are detached immediately...

i guess its this line which detaches you in case of speed > 150 which isnt resetted to false and detaches you right away

line 554: _player setVariable ["AR_Detach_Rope",true];

Good find! I've fixed the source on github. Next release will include the fix.

Hi,

Yes, it's exactly that kind of animation.

But I don't say anything bad about your mod of course, it's a nice and need one.

I just try to speak about things I see here and there to you if I can find some elements you want/can add or modify. I just find that the rope down animation from FRIES is really adapted. I've read and understand what you said about the actual animation of course.

Again, it's just a suggestion, but if you have a way to get the same animation, that can be nice.

But that's really a detail, the mod is already great ! Thanks again for this work.

We're working on some custom animations for rappelling - however, it's still going to be in a sitting position since that's how you would rappel on a rope. The FRIES animation would be more appropriate if you were going down a short, thick rope that's being held at the bottom. 

• Like 2

duda - You're like a magician :) people see what they see and cant belive its happening :P i mean whoah its slide down on a rope, but it's probably based on physyx right? :)

Oh and one more thing, rappeling down from helis and buildings/ledges is awesome, but here a thing SPIE :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Patrol_Insertion/Extraction

I never saw anyone who could try to do this in arma series but in my opinion it WOULD BE real magic in comparsion to rappeling :)

Please tell me You were thinking befire about making SPIE in arma please please please :)