duda123

Advanced Rappelling

steamLogo.jpg

Adds support for helicopter rappelling. SP & MP Compatible.

Features:
  • Rappel up to 6 players or AI from any helicopter at the same time (depending on helicopter size)
  • Enhanced rope physics. Takes into account wind speeds (from the rotor and environment) and air resistance. Players will swing around if the helicopter doesn't stay still.
  • Players control when and how quickly to descend down the rope using the "move backward" key
  • Supports rappelling onto tops of buildings, through trees, etc
  • Command AI in your group to rappel from a helicopter. AI will automatically descend the rope once told to rappel.
  • You can shoot your rifle and handgun while rappelling (if you have the addon installed client-side)
Directions:
  1. Get into any helicopter (not as pilot)
  2. Once more than 5m off the ground, actions become available to rappel either yourself or your AI units
  3. Once you are rappelling, press the "move backwards" key to descend down the rope. Press the turbo (left shift) key to rappel faster. (note: AI will auto-descend)
Installation:
  1. Subscribe via steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=713709341or download latest release from https://github.com/sethduda/AdvancedRappelling/releases
  2. If installing this on a server, add the addon to the -serverMod command line option. It's only needed on the server side. Clients dont need it.  (However, if clients want to hear the nice rappelling sound effects, they can optionally install it locally)
Notes for Mission Makers:

You can customize which classes of vehicles support rappelling by setting the AR_SUPPORTED_VEHICLES_OVERRIDE variable in an init.sqf file. 
AR_SUPPORTED_VEHICLES_OVERRIDE = [ "CUP_CH47F_base", "RHS_CH_47F" ]; 
The example above will only allow rappelling from vehicles of class CUP_CH47F_base and RHS_CH_47F.

You can disable shooting while rappelling by setting the AR_DISABLE_SHOOTING_OVERRIDE variable in an init.sqf file. Defaults to false (shooting enabled).  
AR_DISABLE_SHOOTING_OVERRIDE = true; 

You can limit the number of rappell positions (for all helicopters) using the AR_MAX_RAPPEL_POINTS_OVERRIDE variable in an init.sqf file. Defaults to 6. You can set any value from 1 to 6. 

AR_MAX_RAPPEL_POINTS_OVERRIDE = 2; 
You can define custom rappel points instead of using the default 6 rappel points by using the AP_CUSTOM_RAPPEL_POINTS variable. You can either specify [x,y,z] model positions or memory point names. Define the AP_CUSTOM_RAPPEL_POINTS variable in your init.sqf file.

Here's an example mixing both memory point names and [x,y,z] model positions. You would put this in an init.sqf file.
AP_CUSTOM_RAPPEL_POINTS = [
    ["CUP_CH47F_base",["slingload0",[1.2,1.0,0.5],"fastrope0"]],
    ["RHS_CH_47F", ["slingload0","slingload1","fastrope0"]]
];
In the example above, all vehicles of class type CUP_CH47F_base will use the rappel points defined by memory point slingload0, model position [1.2,1.0,0.5] and memory point fastrope0. All vehicles of class RHS_CH_47F will use rappel points defined by memory points slingload0, slingload1, and fastrope0. All other vehicles will use the default 6 rappel points.

If anyone works on heli models and would like their heli's rappel points pre-defined in my addon, let me know.

You can have AI auto-rappel from a helicopter using the following script (all units in the cargo seats will rappel):
[HELI_NAME] call AR_Rappel_All_Cargo
This function will rappel the cargo units at 25m at the heli's current position. If the heli is currently moving, it will stop so units can rappel.

If you want more control, there are addtional parameters you can set:
[HELI_NAME,RAPPEL_HEIGHT,POSITION_ASL] call AR_Rappel_All_Cargo
RAPPEL_HEIGHT: height in meters to rappel
POSITION_ASL: Exact position ASL where you want the units to rappel to. This script will get them within ~1m of that position.

Not working on your server?

Make sure you have the mod listed in the -mod or -serverMod command line option. Only -serverMod is required for this addon. If still not working, check your server log to make sure the addon is found. 

FAQ

This addon is only required on the server - is it going to slow down my server?

No - while this addon is server-side only, it installs itself on all clients without them downloading the addon. Most of the time, the rappelling code actually runs client-side, even though you installed the addon only on the server. Magic! 

Battleye kicks me when I try to do xyz. What do I do?

You need to configure Battleye rules on your server. Below are the files you need to configure: 

setvariable.txt 

Add the following exclusions to the end of all lines starting with 4, 5, 6, or 7 if they contain "" (meaning applies to all values): 
!"AR_"
setvariableval.txt 

If you have any lines starting with 4, 5, 6, or 7 and they contain "" (meaning applies to all values) it's not going to work. Either remove the line or explicitly define the values you want to kick. Since the values of the variables above can vary, I don't know of a good way to define an exclusion rule. 

Also, it's possible there are other battleye filter files that can cause issues. If you check your battleye logs you can figure out which file is causing a problem.

The rappelling action appears while in a heli, but do nothing when I select them. How do I fix that?

Most likely your server is setup with a white list for remote executions. In order to fix this, you need to modify your mission's description.ext file, adding the following CfgRemoteExec rules. If using InfiStar you should edit your cfgremoteexec.hpp instead of the description.ext file. See https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Remote_Executionfor more details on CfgRemoteExec.
class CfgRemoteExec
{
class Functions
{
class AR_Client_Rappel_From_Heli { allowedTargets=0; }; 
class AR_Hint { allowedTargets=1; }; 
class AR_Hide_Object_Global { allowedTargets=2; }; 
class AR_Enable_Rappelling_Animation { allowedTargets=2; }; 
class AR_Rappel_From_Heli { allowedTargets=2; }; 
};
};
Issues & Feature Requests

If anyone wants to help fix any of these, please let me know. You can fork the repo and create a pull request. 

Special Thanks for Testing & Support:

- Stay Alive Tactical Team (http://sa.clanservers.com)
- Boosh and Beachhead
  • Like 24

Awesome release, will be trying this out shortly on dedi.

Is there way way to limit the amounts of ropes dropped and rope points on different helis (other than creating a config patch that is)?

Awesome release, will be trying this out shortly on dedi.

Is there way way to limit the amounts of ropes dropped and rope points on different helis (other than creating a config patch that is)?

No, but that's at the top of my list. Currently it finds up to 6 points in real time based on the model size and intersection tests. I will add a way to specify via SQF specific attachment points for specific vehicle classes.

• Like 1

That's outstanding, thanks man!

That's outstanding, thanks man!

Just updated the addon (v1.0.1) to include this functionality:

You can define custom rappel points instead of using the default 6 rappel points by using the AP_CUSTOM_RAPPEL_POINTS variable. You can either specify [x,y,z] model positions or memory point names. Define the AP_CUSTOM_RAPPEL_POINTS variable in your init.sqf file.

Here's an example mixing both memory point names and [x,y,z] model positions. You would put this in an init.sqf file.

AP_CUSTOM_RAPPEL_POINTS = [
    ["CUP_CH47F_base",["slingload0",[1.2,1.0,0.5],"fastrope0"]],
    ["RHS_CH_47F", ["slingload0","slingload1","fastrope0"]]
];

In the example above, all vehicles of class type CUP_CH47F_base will use the rappel points defined by memory point slingload0, model position [1.2,1.0,0.5] and memory point fastrope0. All vehicles of class RHS_CH_47F will use rappel points defined by memory points slingload0, slingload1, and fastrope0. All other vehicles will use the default 6 rappel points.

If anyone works on heli models and would like their heli's rappel points pre-defined in my addon, let me know.

• Like 5

Very nice!
Congrats on the release!

BTW, is it possible to script a fastrope insertion with it?

• Like 1

It is awesome! I can't wait to test it on dedicated server! :D

I made compatibility to a couple of RHS choppers. Here is my effect:

QFSftNd.jpg

ic4iGDQ.jpg

689fSWS.jpg

DpjDwTQ.jpg

j4FyQlT.jpg

V3cnVB4.jpg

VNRYzNx.jpg

• Like 4

QFSftNd.jpg

Well placed rope on this screen brought me to an idea or maybe feature request.

Feature request(just an idea, i don't now if feature requests are allowed):

Would be great if we could send help on rope to someone on land/water, and after that pick up two of them.

Example:

• Like 1

Is it possible to make script version of it ?

Script is on GitHub in addon/function folder. Execute via serverInit.sqf

Nice work! Can you post your rappel point configurations? I'm sure others would find them useful.

• Like 2

Is it possible to use it in a script in SP mission?

I mean, if I create a SP mission and I want to make a fastrope insertion, how can I do it?

• Like 1

would it be possible to rappel from buildings mountains etc too ? imagine that would only be a small step  from what you already did ;)

Very nice!

Congrats on the release!

BTW, is it possible to script a fastrope insertion with it?

^^^THIS!!!

Script is on GitHub in addon/function folder. Execute via serverInit.sqf

Sorry for the noobish question..how I execute it in a SP mission that's WIP? Can you just give me a step by step intruction? Sorry :unsure:

Nice work! Can you post your rappel point configurations? I'm sure others would find them useful.

I second this.  We just found this and would appreciate it as we use RHS and MELB for our insertion birds.

would it be possible to rappel from buildings mountains etc too ? imagine that would only be a small step  from what you already did ;)

I guess you could add a dummy and invisible object to the AR_SUPPORTED_VEHICLES_OVERRIDE array, and spawn said object when you need it - but I don't know how the ropes would behave regarding collisions with nearby walls/rocks...

I guess you could add a dummy and invisible object to the AR_SUPPORTED_VEHICLES_OVERRIDE array, and spawn said object when you need it - but I don't know how the ropes would behave regarding collisions with nearby walls/rocks...

Unfortunately you'll swing right into and thru the wall/hill.

I'll look into implementing this though. I would set it up so that it detects when a player is on the edge of a cliff/roof/brige etc. Then, give the option to use rappel ropes, placing the rope anchor where the player is standing and immediately move the player into the rappel position, facing the wall/cliff.

Then, I'd have to make it so you can kinda jump in a direction or move down, but prevent the player of going into the wall... sounds possible to me, but complex.

• Like 2

I second this.  We just found this and would appreciate it as we use RHS and MELB for our insertion birds.

Just wanted to let people know that this does work with RHS and other helis out of the box. However, the 6 rappel points will be on the bottom of the heli. The config they're asking about will change the default behavior so that the ropes attach to pre-defined rappel anchors.

• Like 1

From a quick test, it doesn't look like there are any velocity restrictions on rappelling, or at least that it was possible for me to rappel out of a helicopter going at travel speed. At the very least, you should probably take damage if you're going too fast when you land. It might also be nice to do something like TOH where if you move too fast while rappelling the rope breaks.

Other than that, really nice mod! It's great to have mods that aren't required on clients, makes it much easier to add functionality without making things harder for player. 

I've only come this far, but here are my RHS anchor points (using 2 per helicopter):

["RHS_MELB_MH6M",[[1.17,0.8,-0.1],[-1.17,0.8,-0.1]]],
["RHS_UH60M_base",[[1.43,1.93,-0.47],[-1.25,2.6,0]]],
["RHS_CH_47F_base",[[0.51,-7.5,-1.05],[-0.51,-7.5,-1.05]]]

The second non-hook anchor on the UH60 is a bit on the iffy side to say the least. Rope basically comes out on the left side air filter :D

I packed those setting into a .pbo that adds it post init to missionNamespace (so you don't need to add to init.sqf if you don't want to). Tried it on our groups' dedi and seems to work fine: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4170539/arma3/mods/source/bamse_adv_rappelling_init.pbo

Remember, this is not how the authors instructions on how to do it so use your own risk and all that :)

• Like 2

I've only come this far, but here are my RHS anchor points (using 2 per helicopter):

["RHS_MELB_MH6M",[[1.17,0.8,-0.1],[-1.17,0.8,-0.1]]],
["RHS_UH60M_base",[[1.43,1.93,-0.47],[-1.25,2.6,0]]],
["RHS_CH_47F_base",[[0.51,-7.5,-1.05],[-0.51,-7.5,-1.05]]]

The second non-hook anchor on the UH60 is a bit on the iffy side to say the least. Rope basically comes out on the left side air filter :D

I packed those setting into a .pbo that adds it post init to missionNamespace (so you don't need to add to init.sqf if you don't want to). Tried it on our groups' dedi and seems to work fine: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4170539/arma3/mods/source/bamse_adv_rappelling_init.pbo

Remember, this is not how the authors instructions on how to do it so use your own risk and all that :)

Forgive the nood question, but do I put the your PBO file in my mission folder?