monotone

VBS3 grabbed their DAYZ Chernarus. Then, how A3 could do that?

https://bisimulations.com/content/mon-06272016-0846/after-apocalypse-%E2%80%9Cde-zombifying%E2%80%9D-dayz%E2%80%99s-chernarus-terrain-military

Bohemia Simulations announced that they added Chernarus of DAYZ version on their non-civilian variant of Arma series.

This news made me wonder how it is fun to play DAYZ's Chernarus in Arma 3 that is technically possible obviously.

https://bisimulations.com/content/mon-06272016-0846/after-apocalypse-%E2%80%9Cde-zombifying%E2%80%9D-dayz%E2%80%99s-chernarus-terrain-military

Bohemia Simulations announced that they added Chernarus of DAYZ version on their non-civilian variant of Arma series.

This news made me wonder how it is fun to play DAYZ's Chernarus in Arma 3 that is technically possible obviously.

Money talks. Money can make anything happen.

It would take one man 40 years to recreate Chernarus?! (40 man-years)

I'm skeptical as to the truth of that statement.

Sent from my iPhone so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

• Like 1

I made a thread once asking if Chernarus Plus could ever become Arma 3 DLC (thread has mysteriously disappeared) and someone in there said they couldn't port it to Arma because of legal reasons.

I made a thread once asking if Chernarus Plus could ever become Arma 3 DLC (thread has mysteriously dissapeared) and someone in there said they couldn't port it to Arma because of legal reasons.

If that's the excuse they made, it's a terrible one. DayZ is owned by BIS and the map is just a modified version of what was in ArmA 2, why would there be legal reasons that would prevent it from going to ArmA 3.

• Like 3

I know right, it's really dumb. Imagine what awesome maps the community could make with all the new and updated assets on Chernarus Plus.

• Like 2

If that's the excuse they made, it's a terrible one. DayZ is owned by BIS and the map is just a modified version of what was in ArmA 2, why would there be legal reasons that would prevent it from going to ArmA 3.

The legal reasons might be something to the effect that Chernarus+ is to remain a VBS exclusive. To the benefit of their government customers.

Sent from my iPhone so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

I think I made that thread about a year ago so I'm pretty sure it was before the idea of porting C+ to VBS was conceived.

I think this news sucks big-time, given that both DayZ and Arma 3 are actively sharing technology and assets, DayZ 0.61 will inherit the new audio tech from Eden update, Arma 3 added a bunch of small items from DayZ SA back in October 2013. 

Heck, I would happily pay for an updated Chernarus as dlc for Arma 3......maybe we should start a petition! :D  

• Like 1

I made a thread once asking if Chernarus Plus could ever become Arma 3 DLC (thread has mysteriously disappeared) and someone in there said they couldn't port it to Arma because of legal reasons.

A wild thread appears!

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/181340-chernarus-plus-as-dlc-for-arma3/

The legal issues probably stem from sounds / textures / models that are used or perhaps the map data from Chernarus itself. Anything subject to an outside license is probably what's spoiling our fun :) It's the same with Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series.

Chernarus+ for A3 won't happen for a number of reasons.

1) It's not possible to simply copy&paste it. A3 and DayZ are using different engines and it would require additional work to port the map. The people doing this work wouldn't be able to do other work (like making a map for the next Arma).

2) It isn't finished and it will be worked on probably until DayZ is released. Every time a new update would be released, it would needed to be ported to A3 again.

3) Performance. Chernarus+ is designed for the new renderer. Density of objects is much higher than on the old Chernarus and all buildings have interiors and furniture. It would run like shit in A3.

4) The map isn't designed for military AI. DayZ is using completely different AI for zombies and animals. Who knows how AI cars and tanks would behave on this map.

5) Pricing. If they made it a free DLC, they would spend resources on porting the map and never get anything back from it. Plus it would anger people who bought DayZ ("So people who have Arma 3 can have DayZ map for free, but we can't have Arma 3 maps? This is bullshit!!!").

If they decided to make it a $5 DLC they would anger people who own both A3 and DayZ ("So I need to buy a map that I already paid for again? Money-grabbing whores!!!!!").

• Like 3

I've seen it as well. All textures are an exact replica of what they are in DayZ SA. Including trees, ground, and sky. Though I would have to say the standard weapons look out of place.

To my knowledge, if you own both DayZ and Arma 3, you should have no issues copy pasta. However, you can't make a mod of it's port, as legal issues will of course tear you to pieces. for personal use though, i'm pretty sure it's no big deal.

To my knowledge, if you own both DayZ and Arma 3, you should have no issues copy pasta. However, you can't make a mod of it's port, as legal issues will of course tear you to pieces. for personal use though, i'm pretty sure it's no big deal.

Simple copy paste isn't possible after 0.60.

4) The map isn't designed for military AI. DayZ is using completely different AI for zombies and animals. Who knows how AI cars and tanks would behave on this map.

Then why port it to the landmark King of military software VBS? Arma 3 is used for much more diverse reasons than is the strictly military VBS. As far as the performance due to furniture etc, I'd be willing to take the hit using smaller, story based AI based missions. Be curious to those whom have ported how demanding it actually is

• Like 2

What is this?

That's Chernarus + running on Arma 3 ;)

Then why port it to the landmark King of military software VBS?

The same way anything makes its way into VBS - someone paid some money for it :)

• Like 1

Then why port it to the landmark King of military software VBS? Arma 3 is used for much more diverse reasons than is the strictly military VBS. As far as the performance due to furniture etc, I'd be willing to take the hit using smaller, story based AI based missions. Be curious to those whom have ported how demanding it actually is

Because nato militaries want to have a scenario where they can train waging war in the Blacksea area... and they pay good money for it.

Probably a completely out there idea and would never happen but would be nice if we could band together a community fund with community led stretch goals a bit like Star Citizen was when it was funding. As in Dev's list things they want to do we choose our priority's and devs set a money goal to be able to deliver it.

• Like 2

Probably a completely out there idea and would never happen but would be nice if we could band together a community fund with community led stretch goals a bit like Star Citizen was when it was funding. As in Dev's list things they want to do we choose our priority's and devs set a money goal to be able to deliver it.

I love the idea but this is a developers nightmare, at least it would be for me. It's impossible to manage the expectations as people start 'interpreting' the goals you set, especially if your company's name is BI. On top of that, it would mean that we can have nice things :o

I love the idea but this is a developers nightmare, at least it would be for me. It's impossible to manage the expectations as people start 'interpreting' the goals you set, especially if your company's name is BI. On top of that, it would mean that we can have nice things :o

Yep that is the problem with it unfortunately, this will sound like im putting my own idea down but I think Star Citizen is a very different beast to Arma but it was the only thing I could think to explain it. Expectations are always the downfall of promises. People would always interpret the goals differently unless they were so precise. 

Isn't the whole point of C+ that it is basically a post zombie apocalypse version of Chernarus with upgraded and opened buildings, additional buildings to certain areas and debris (bodies, dead cars, objects and etc...) yet the terrain itself is the same?

Instead of asking to pay more money for the same map AGAIN which is now available via CUP and which all A2CO and DayZ owners already own, wouldn't it make more sense for Bohemia to create, license and port an additional content pack and let the CUP team create a C+ version using those assets? It would be like a winter or summer or zombie or plus version with additional content removed, replaced or added to the map to make it more detail, yet not require everyone to re-download or install technically the same map again, eating up additional HD space.

One thing I want to see is a patch to open up all the default OpFP/A1/A2/A3 buildings in CUP and then added in some furnishings to those buildings! That would be a good start to make all the OpFP/A1/A2/A3 terrains looks more immersive already.

While I would like to see the VBS river system in ARMA 3, we know its not going to happen so forget it. Removed ponds is good enough for me at the moment.

Maybe create a patch similar to the VBS procedural generation for outside of the map boundaries so it looks good at the map border instead of a lowres flat plains texture.