A new engine, or not, for Arma 4  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather see BIS move to a new engine for Arma 4, or continue to use Real Virtuality engine?

• A new engine
    • Real Virtuality engine

Arma 4 is still some years away, but that means that development of Arma 4 could begin at literally any time, if it hasn't begun already. Thus, I put forward to the community this question: do you want to see the next Arma game continue to use the Real Virtuality engine? Or do you want to see BIS make a change that has yet to happen in fifteen years, and move to a new, better engine?

Personally (warning, rant): I am sick and tired of the RV engine, and all the shit it entails. You heard about the upcoming vehicle-in-vehicle transport feature, I assume? Guess what, we won't be able to actually drive vehicles up a ramp into another vehicle, thanks to, hey-ho, engine limits. However, the limits are only half of what I hate; in fact, what I hate most about the RV engine is the horrendously poor quality of its animations. Arma 3, literally, has the worst animations of a top dollar game and a standard of its genre. Then, of course, you have the lack of detail that's gone into weapons and vehicles. Arma 3 is the definition of quantity over quality, and even then they fail in proper quantity.

What really pisses me off, though, is that BIS markets Arma 3 like its animations, visuals, and so on are of Battlefield quality. Hearing Jay Crowe talk about Arma 3 like it's this super smooth, super refined platform when in fact it's a clunky clusterfuck saved only - ONLY - by the modding community and all those mods that bring high quality content and features. Imagine, for a moment, Arma 3 without mods. Yeah. I just watched the Apex trailer (I am buying Apex, by the way), and surprise surprise, BIS makes out Arma 3 as it's not; having gorgeous visuals and 100 FPS, flawless texture and model quality, and best of all, seamlessly smooth and real-looking animations. COME ON! You can fool those who've never played, but you can't fool us! Case in point, I love Arma, but I've been ready for a new engine for a very long time, and Arma 4 seems like the perfect platform for BIS to engine change. I don't care if we have to wait another five years, I want to see a new engine in a new Arma game.

You missed a shitload of discussions on that matter, mate.

The whole point of this is the poll.

I thought they already confirmed the new engine (Enfusion) for all future games?

I don't think the modding community will be very happy with starting from scratch. Also I don't see the point in making an entirely new engine when it's way more practical to just add the elements you want to an existing engine.

I don't think the modding community will be very happy with starting from scratch. Also I don't see the point in making an entirely new engine when it's way more practical to just add the elements you want to an existing engine.

That's what the enfusion engine is about, iirc.

• Like 2

Is there any information on this Enfusion engine?

Learning how to mod on a new engine shouldn't be an issue. That's how technology is, it changes, people are inevitably going to have to learn new things.

Who knows, perhaps a new or improved engine may allow for more modding capabilities.

• Like 2

Closing - that has already been discussed previous. Please search before creating new threads on the same subject. The Arma4 thread can be found here: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/147471-a-quantum-leap-arma-4/

Search before posting:

If you have a question, please use the forum search function before posting, to make sure that it has not already been asked and answered. Searching the forums before posting will help prevent duplicate posts, which may result in you being able to find what you are looking for much faster.

• Like 3