Sign in to follow this  
vashcz

Can not launch Arma 3 due to worshop mods.

Hello,

when A3 is finally playable I wanted to try some mods(CUP etc.) and so I went to Steam workshop and ticked many things... 50GBs.With my limited internet I am able to download them in 24 hours.

BUT when I press launch arma button on steam it says it needs to UPDATE. WHILE there is actually written "ARMA 3 - Ready to play" in my library :-D.

So... if I ticked mods 500GBs big I would have to wait everyday for 50Gigs updates? You guys should fix it or I ll really go good old manual download. At least you shouldn´t blame me saying it is ready to play.

VashCZ

edit: Currently I am in half... unsubscribe, play Arma, close Arma, subscribe mods again :-D?

The things is, mods are frequently updated - new things added and bugs fixed etc. so frequent re-downloads/updates are to be expected. Your complaint shouldn't be with the game, its with Steam being a fussy and temperamental piece of shit. That and Steam Workshop being a waste of time...

With a bad connection (by comparison 50GB would take me a couple of hours) you truly would be better off going the "old-fashioned" manual download route, and then just make sure you're aware and keep up to date with updates of mods you're a fan of.

• Like 3

I blame Arma 3 developers for forcing use of Steam. Is my complain OK now? LOL

They can just set that A3 can ignor undownloaded mods. I know it is a bit different, but for Total War series it works. And I may name probably all other games.

And now if you say it´s nothing wrong then I blame devs for use of old engine for Arma 3 and being lazy.

When it says "ready to play" that actually means stuff is updating. It should just say "play".i too would go the manual download route.I dont use the workshop for anything except missions for this reason. Downloading huge map pack etc from the workshop seems to cause a lot of issues and people get a lot of corrupt downloads as well from what I can see.

Edited this post as it previously said "I agree with the post above" but I meant "two posts above".The post above this, i completely disagree with.

• Like 2

They can just set that A3 can ignor undownloaded mods. I know it is a bit different, but for Total War series it works. And I may name probably all other games.

And now if you say it´s nothing wrong then I blame devs for use of old engine for Arma 3 and being lazy.

There is nothing to blame there mate, I suggest you to download big mods over night. The reason being why you can't Play while downloading is for example to ensure a complete and clean Installation of the mods, downloading and storing 50GB is a big load for your

hard drive, Imaging trying to Play at the same Moment with the game also reading stuff from your drive will slow everything down what would decrease your fun ingame.

The think with the Workshop is a compatability Thing, if you find a mod that you like on the Workshop and you dislike that you can't play at the same time but still want to ignore that you can find most of the mods on websites just try to Google the mod name.

Small tipp:

Don't try to download all the 50GB at once, try it once after another to see if there are conflicts.

I hope I could help you

Retch ;)

• Like 1

"There is nothing to blame there mate" Man I am used to Arma behaves badly since I played Arma 2 and I had issues about mods.

But it is mainstream game now  you know. Bestseller on Steam for long time. It was PREDESTINED to succes and make money since A2 DayZ.

When there is an advertised function I want it to work not to waste my time. So fuck off with these phrases.

I do not need to download mod when playing Arma. I don´t mind it can stop. But I AM NOT ABLE to SWITCH it OFF. It WANTS me to download these.

Do not even try to tell me that there can be conflicts between different mods. It would be for another bug fix. THERE IS NEVER conflict between manually downloaded mods just being in one folder.

Oh guys... I am reporting bug here and you think it is special and good and whatever. Support me and pressure them. This is a problem for casual players.

@vashcz listen man, firstoff I did not say that ArmA dosen't got any problems but surely it's being worked towards solutions.

You are saying that you are having Problems since ArmA 2, as far as I can remember there wasn't a Workshop for it and when A3 just launched I can neither remember that.

Workshop mods normaly are also shown in the Steam Libary under downlaods, did you try to cancel/stop the downlaod there?

There can be conflicts between mods ,not by beeing in the same folder but content wise, i.e. AiATP and CUP Terrains, I'm not sure if both of them would work good together.

Same class names or overwriting of files and stuff wont work anymore.

I can't support you on this because it is not a bug, I can try my best to explain it to you, that are different systems chained together that cause your sroblem.

Steam Workshop, you subscribed the Mod, your Steam automatically starts to downlaod the Mod unless you are already In-Game. The A3 Launcher checks if there are any new folders in your A3 folder,

if it finds something for example in the Workshop folder it will check the Status and either allow you to activate the mod now or show that it is being downloaded.

So either cancel the downlaod of the mod in the Steam Libary, unsubcribe the mod, delete the mod Folder in you A3 main Directory(not suggested) or check your steam settings to see if there is a setting that mods are not automatically downloaded.

I hope that helped and pls mind your language

Retch ;)

• Like 1

Mod downloaded from the workshop (especially that many) first need to be initialized by the launcher. so even though you downloaded it all it first needs to initialize the 50gigs before you can launch the game...

• Like 3

"There is nothing to blame there mate" Man I am used to Arma behaves badly since I played Arma 2 and I had issues about mods.

But it is mainstream game now  you know. Bestseller on Steam for long time. It was PREDESTINED to succes and make money since A2 DayZ.

When there is an advertised function I want it to work not to waste my time. So fuck off with these phrases.

I do not need to download mod when playing Arma. I don´t mind it can stop. But I AM NOT ABLE to SWITCH it OFF. It WANTS me to download these.

Do not even try to tell me that there can be conflicts between different mods. It would be for another bug fix. THERE IS NEVER conflict between manually downloaded mods just being in one folder.

Oh guys... I am reporting bug here and you think it is special and good and whatever. Support me and pressure them. This is a problem for casual players.

Please appreciate we are trying to help you and resolve your situation. As you decided to result to insults i would think users of this forum maybe less inclined to help you. 

• Like 4

Steam workshop is optional, you'll find manual download links on Armaholic or PW6 if you prefer to do things manually.

The workshop though will keep your mods updated, each to their own, the end result is the same.

Steam \ Library \ Arma3 - click context menu "Properties"
Section Updates \ background downloading - select "stop, background downloading."

Steam \ Library \ Arma3 - click context menu "Properties"

Section Updates \ background downloading - select "stop, background downloading."

This is good, as far as I know this only prevents it from downloading while you are In-Game.

Yes, but the game always starts from arma3launcher. It always stops all downloads.

• Like 1

I dont think any of this is a case of "who can we blame?" It's about feedback and looking for a solution to your problem

And calling BI lazy is just silly.They support their games for years and years which almost no other developer does.

• Like 2

"I can't support you on this because it is not a bug, I can try my best to explain it to you, that are different systems chained together that cause your sroblem."

They appearently launched Steam workshop to prevent people playing Arma 3... oh yes... HELL NO, it is problem

Launcher does not even appear, it I have to download all partially useless mods to play vanilla.

"check your steam settings to see if there is a setting that mods are not automatically downloaded"

It want mods to download first.

"As you decided to result to insults i would think users of this forum maybe less inclined to help you."

If I insulted anybody, then I were insulted by somebody first. I do not think you can really help me saying something to me. I am here NOT because I can´t ubsubscribe all mods and download manually. I am here because I guess there is a problem in programming of Arma 3 Launcher to Steam. You can help me by saying this to devs.

"Steam workshop is optional"

Not again please.

"This is good, as far as I know this only prevents it from downloading while you are In-Game."

Yes, this does´t work.

"game always starts from arma3launcher".exe

Yes this is it! Partially resolved. Steam want me to download mods, but arma3launcher.exe launch the launcher so I can play

"They support their games for years and years which almost no other developer does."

Because first two years their games are unplayable :-D. Ever talking with them personally? They do work. But the things they want, not the ones community does.

what I see from that video is that your download is really slow so it will take a while befor it launches.

other than that there is also no disk activity what so ever... that is not supposed to happen, during the download the disk should write the download in their specific section aswel...

maybe something wrong with that station?

usually steam stores workshop content in default steam folder -> appdata -> workshopcontent (or something like this)

usually steam stores workshop content in default steam folder -> appdata -> workshopcontent (or something like this)

Appdata on C? Nah. I probably changed it. My old SSD would be filled up by now :-D. Appdata says 7GBs.

You can always go to the heavy handed approach, back up your Arma3 profile etc. And then delete Arma3 from Steam and reinstall it.

Are you sure the 50gb has fully downloaded to install the mods in the first place? It does seem rather redundant for it to download over again if nothing has updated, and given your apparent impatience its not beyond the realms of possibility you rage-quit out of Steam before the initial download was ever complete. That is all this may simply be - the initial install and download finalising/re-downloading a corrupt portion due to an early exit.

Yeah, interesting to see is that it is showing that small windows with the eta. of the download and the launch once ready, that shouldn't apear for mods.

But if it's a Steam thing I got no clue what is causing them, if everything fails and you continue to have that problem I suggest you to contact the Steam Support.

Good Luck

Retch

Your video where Arma3 download - 50mb, 4:50  -  0bytes/s disk usage.

That said - there is no recording on the disc.

Are you sure you have a place where arma3 on the disc?

All mods downloaded and everything works fine just like it should.

Thank you for your answers. It was probably Steam bug. My fault.

Thread can be locked.

All mods downloaded and everything works fine just like it should.

Thank you for your answers. It was probably Steam bug. My fault.

Thread can be locked.

Glad that you were able to resolve your issues in the end. :)

Closing :padlock: