Sign in to follow this  
TheDragon117

Issues with Vehicles on dedicated server

Since Eden release I've had lots of issues with vehicles. When I test it in the editor everything works golden, but when I move it over to the dedicated server things just seem to go haywire.

I think they're all tied to some similar problem of something that I'm just completely missing. I have a mission where at the beginning the players should spawn, run to a helicopter on a helipad, it should take off once they are inside and then other planes in the area should also take off when the chopper hits a trigger a few feet in front of it. 

When testing it in the MP mode in the editor works exactly as intended. When I load it on dedicated server all the vehicles immediately take off and seem to ignore all the way points that were set in the editor.

In case it helps, its not pressing but may be a symptom of something I'm doing wrong I've also had a problem where I make a mission, a bunch of empty planes and helicpoters. in MP test it works fine, but when loaded to my server all of the planes and helicopter spawn with engines going full blast take off and crash because there is no pilot. I've googled for hours and cannot seem to find anyone else having this issue, so I'm assuming I'm a special bird and I'm doing something the wrong way. All of the missions I made in the 2d editor never had this issue, so I"m at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

I've even tried removing the gas from the vehicles now, and the helicopter and plane still jerk forward or up and down several times like its trying to decide if it can fly or not and then usually explode from the bouncing now. I'm at a complete loss.

Remember KISS.  Instead of having all these interconnected triggers and actions and hoping AI does what you want just start your mission in the air.  

People will quickly get sick of the whole "Ok, we're playing this again, gotta run and load up, and wait to try to board again since someone took my seat, ok now we're in lets wait for the helo to start up, oh god why is that AI turning this way now?" and so on...

You might try reinstalling all your mods as well.  This sounds a little bit like this issue where some guy had problems with his mods and objects were spawning in the air on a server.  If those were vehicles they would start with engines on and fly off.

But I'd strongly suggest sacrificing some "gee whiz" for playability any day.

Kylania, first and foremost thanks for taking the time to offer some advice and help. I've actually considered starting them inside of the helo since I could give the story line in flight as easily as a scripted briefing and its become such a massive headache for me, I'll try reinstalling all of the mods on both the server and the client and see if that helps. I'm not infront of it at the moment but as I recall its about 6. I had not considered that during the course of making it there have been a few updates to a couple of the mods perhaps this has caused a hiccup in the system somewhere, I'd just assumed it was something I was doing wrong.

Part of the reason i was hoping to find a cause was eventually I may find myself in a situation where there isn't a simple work around like starting in the helo vs having a scripted briefing then walking up to it after doing other things. Also since i'm seeing this issue with empty vehicles as well some vehicles that i want people to interact with later in the mission are getting destroyed in the first couple of seconds. I'm hoping to create very strong story driven campaign and while I appreciate that playability is fundamentally the most important piece of the puzzle, I'm hoping to really make the environment feel real and for the players to feel vested in the story and assuming i can get some of the little bugs along the way sorted out i'd hope that they won't be replaying a single mission for a while as I'd like to release with 3 or 4 missions to begin with and crank a few more out soon there after. After I've reinstalled all everything I'll report back on whether or not its fixed anything. Thanks again for the advice!