Hello all!

I am building my first terrain based on the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton as it is something, I beleive, would greatly benefit the arma milsim community.

Since this is my first terrain I would like to see if anyone out there would be interested in helping. Right now I have been able to generate the terrain using L3DT and a very low resolution satelite image of the terrain and put them together which got good results. Right now all I am trying to do is get a better satelite image cropped together so i can use that in the terrain. I will not be making or recreating any sensitive areas of the base, nor will I be making any buildings from scratch that would detail any sensitive information. It will primarily be only arma 3 buildings or assets from CUP terrains.

• Like 10

Sounds great! I am not an experienced map builder so goodluck! I am looking forward to this map!

As someone who has been on Pendleton many times, I got to warn you, Its a lot of BEQ/BOQ, family housing, and such. As for sensitive areas? Most of the base is for training and storage, so I doubt your going to run into that problem. The base is split by a highway that has special crossing built underneath to facilitate access to the beach line. The Corps will "invade" the beach every couple of months or so to practice amphibious warfare.Also the only other real facility on the beach side is Assault Craft Unit 5. On the inside are a lot of storage depots, training facilities with obstacle courses, rifle ranges, and various tank courses. Remember this is home to the entire 1st Marine Divison, so its got a lot of facilities. Other than that they have a brand new hospital, right by the entrance. I know you said no custom buildings, but ALL Pendleton buildings are made from the same sand coloured stucco and red roofs. 

• Like 1

V8puCIU.png

terrain loaded with bad satellite image.

edit: i look forward to this mod. so far the progress looks good! keep up the good work

edit: i look forward to this mod. so far the progress looks good! keep up the good work

Same here, thing is that I can create an CH46 Formation flight around the map :D

hey all, Sorry for not replying in a timely manner. The project is being restarted by friends who are more capable than I am as of right now. The images above were very early stages anyway, so duplicating that shouldn't take long at all. We are building it using CUP terrains and APEX assets and such.

• Like 2

I think Arma 3 building Assets would go well with this base type build. Im def gonna keep my eye on this project especially if their are firing ranges. Really would like a dedicated training map for my community 

• Like 2

Glad to see that progress is still being made, keep it up!!

Still stuck on making the satellite imaging merge into the map. This is a good time to post the intended features however.

40 x 40 kilometer map encompassing the majority of the base including School Of infantry in the North and Boot camp in the south.

All buildings used in the map will be derived from CUP, vanilla as well as APEX. (there will be NO custom buildings of barracks or living areas)

Areas of San Clemente and Ocean side are In the map but will also be left as wilderness in the final product.

Other extremely sensitive areas of the base shall be left as blank wilderness (such as the naval weapons station)

If anyone would like to assist in this please send me a DM.       

Project restarted again.

Unfortunately arma 3 tools aren't the best as well as most tutorials out there are now only in German. Luckily the satellite images is about 50 % done as well as being done more quickly and efficiently.

Anyone in the community that would want to help with this is appreciated.

Our alpha version will be grass only to make sure that it works and the terrain looks accurate, then the final version will utilize satellite images.

APEX,and CUP terrains will be required for this map. No barracks or sensitive areas of the base will be recreated exactly, where they will have default buildings in their place or will outright not be made at all (plain field or something).

Semper Fi

- First Sea Lord Kiwi

• Like 2

Pendleton? Where are we talking about in the world here? 

6 hours ago, suds420 said:

@Midnighters Camp Pendleton is in Southern California, near San Diego.

Cool, this is interesting. 

Satellite images completed. images shall be gimped together later in the week. This by far was the biggest hassle but a quicker method was found and is honestly much more efficient.

• Like 2

And now i've been roped into this project to help with buildings and such :P 

Because who can say no to Kiwi lol :P

start of connecting the multiple satellite images (I took roughly 400) together and then eventually editing out vehicles and a lot of buildings when the time arrives for release in order to avoid any potentially unwanted issues. The buildings in the satellite images are merely references of what to place and where using buildings from CUP, APEX and vanilla arma 3. Eventually I would like someone to make an H barracks building for Edson range. Since I have had some free time and my project at work is coming to a pause I sharing this image with you to show that I am in fact working on this still. 

*DISCLAIMER: All satellite images have been acquired through google earth, and terrain data through Opentopography.com which are publicly available to anyone and everyone.

lA6EtWx.png 

• Like 3

Came across this issue. When I took the satellite images, all I did was scroll down using my arrow key, but as we can see roads and such on other parts of the image are not matching. I did not change my altitude when taking the images. The horizontal lines represent the different images.

Perhaps try out something like Autostitch or PTGUI It automatically combines pictures or maptiles. There are also some simillar tools, but i lost the links. Might be an easier way to get the whole map. Adjustments can still be done later. (It worked pretty well for my map project and saved a lot of time)

Otherwhise you have to resize your sattiles bit by bit manually.

21 minutes ago, Cosmo_D41 said:

Perhaps try out something like Autostitch or PTGUI It automatically combines pictures or maptiles. There are also some simillar tools, but i lost the links. Might be an easier way to get the whole map. Adjustments can still be done later. (It worked pretty well for my map project and saved a lot of time)

Otherwhise you have to resize your sattiles bit by bit manually.

is there a image limit cap?

Unfortunatelly i dont know anymore which program i used for my satmap, so i cannot tell you. But as this or a similar program helped me a lot, it might be worth trying out. Especially as there are trail versions. With some google there are also some other simillar tools. The big advantage is, that they ususally recognize shapes on the boarders and fit the tiles accordingly, even with overlapping pictures. And yes the tool i used made a whole satmap for me with 16K x 16K from my pictures.