ginntonic

What I dont understand about Arma

I am fairly new to Arma stil, but what I dont understand is why is crazy awesome game is so terrible when it comes to overall player/enemy movement sync.  Id blame it on lag and other factors except the issue is present (albeit to a lesser degree) in the campaign single player mode.  Enemy players jump all around often, appear to walk backwards, and just overall feels like ultra-bad lag. 

Why doesn't Arma do something to fix this?  Its really ruins this game in some ways.

Well mate, I've got over 1300 hours in arma 3. Played the campaign more than enough times. Nothing like you describe happens. Something on your end for sure.

• Like 7

I haven't seen them doing stuff like that... I've seen them do the odd bug here and there but nothing like your saying :unsure:

What system are you running? Game settings? Game shouldn't be running like that.

Here is my system spec - plus I use an Nvidia Titan.  Id add the fact I launch through steam.

Gosh, I really hope its a problem on my end since this game is amazing otherwise.  I've played with a few buddies of mine from a WG clan and we've talked about this same issue between ourselves.  Whatever is happening to me is happening to them too - so this is curious.

Can I ask - is everyone experiencing as fluid character movement as say BF games?

system.jpg

Just now I went to watch some youtube videos of game-play from other people to see what they experienced.  I did see some of that odd stuff happening on their videos too.

Here is a for instance -

If you go to 5:26 when he is zoomed in, notice the enemy player (not the one he is shooting at) but visible in his scope to the upper right.  That enemy runs to a location and then as if ultra-lag graphically repeats the same movement as if in a mini-loop.  This type of thing happens to me often.

What game modes do you play? As certain mission type's don't necessary have well optimised missions. Also where in the world are you? And what servers do you connect to? As connection issues can be related to several factors.

I dont play with any mods - although id love to explore those options.

I am North of Seattle and use a high end Xfinity/Comcast internet connection.  My ping is pretty good for most servers.

Just now I went to watch some youtube videos of game-play from other people to see what they experienced.  I did see some of that odd stuff happening on their videos too.

Here is a for instance -

If you go to 5:26 when he is zoomed in, notice the enemy player (not the one he is shooting at) but visible in his scope to the upper right.  That enemy runs to a location and then as if ultra-lag graphically repeats the same movement as if in a mini-loop.  This type of thing happens to me often.

Thats a bad for instance, thats an MP game as evidenced by the kill messages in the bottom left, ergo the 'lag' caused by actual lag/latency.

The OP is talking about this kind of thing happening in SP (apparently)...

What I do not understand about Arma:

- 50% of all games I played so far have severe griefing, team killing and trolling. I love being a support player but people keep ramming my helicopters with go-karts, vehicles, other choppers, that for me, are expensive to get, while I wait to load friendly toops.

Admins don't do crap....

-50% of all games I fly fully loaded to an area, and get A-10 team killed, all passengers dead, my chopper that cost me a lot gone.

This in ALL servers I played so far, in 10 different ones, ALL of them have this, none-stop.....

Such an amazing game, I put so many hours into reading, youtube, etc, even to learn how to fly properly, for being constantly killed and griefed while admins don't do crap instead of advertising for paying for reserved slots...

So sad, I have Apex pre-ordered but for what at the end...

- 50% of all games I played so far have severe griefing, team killing and trolling. I love being a support player but people keep ramming my helicopters with go-karts, vehicles, other choppers, that for me, are expensive to get, while I wait to load friendly toops.

Admins don't do crap....

-50% of all games I fly fully loaded to an area, and get A-10 team killed, all passengers dead, my chopper that cost me a lot gone.

This in ALL servers I played so far, in 10 different ones, ALL of them have this, none-stop.....

Such an amazing game, I put so many hours into reading, youtube, etc, even to learn how to fly properly, for being constantly killed and griefed while admins don't do crap instead of advertising for paying for reserved slots...

Find yourself a PvE server, something like Exile can be fun

Admins don't do crap....

That''s exactly the point. 

I have 1800 hours in CS GO and i can say that you are correct. Plagued with cheaters and trolls. But the the thing is, Arma was different, unique, was.

Now with llife crap (and similar)  is just one tree in the forest.

Simple solution, join a group instead of playing on crappy public servers.

Simple solution, join a group instead of playing on crappy public servers.

War_lord, I work a lot and at uneven hours. I cannot be always online when all go and play. I just want to join, and have fun. I wish I could join a group, but then also how? I ask in-game and the messages flood so fast, that people do not even read. I played with one guy that explained me a lot, and I was his spotter while he sniped, it was AMAZING. He got the sniper gear for me, and we both went to snipe and spot. My third ever Arma game I was rank 5 of 120 players. Long-range tactical sniping and especially, counter-sniping. We sniped enemy snipers that were shooting at our troops. This game is so amazing, for support players, this is a dream.

I do not understand however, how in those few King of the Hill public servers that have so many players, that there is zero monitoring... 

I am looking forward for Apex, but if you guys know any admins from King of the Hill games, the popular 90-120 player servers that are always full in US/EU (there's like 10), then people, please let those admins know to do something about it...

That''s exactly the point. 

I have 1800 hours in CS GO and i can say that you are correct. Plagued with cheaters and trolls. But the the thing is, Arma was different, unique, was.

Now with llife crap (and similar)  is just one tree in the forest.

The sad thing is, for me, I am at this point more afraid flying transport helicopters of our own people, then the same 1-2 guys in the enemy team flying A-10s for 5 hours straight and shooting our choppers down. I choose alternate paths, fly extremely low, that is, if I can make it off the ground. Trolls are smart. I hover usually so I can't be flipped and troops can still get it (the few people that get why I hover instead of being on the ground), but then, they pick that truck to catch me, or another chopper and land on mine to screw my blades up... Why can't they just make an no-mass respawn mode, or a no damage, no flip mechanic or so... Anyway, often times I load my guys up to fly to the city and we get team killed by own aircraft, and trolls even laugh at us. I am more afraid of my own team in this game then the enemy...no joke and no understatement.  :(

King of the Hill and the like, are always going to have issues, because when you get 120 internet strangers together, a good portion of them will be jerks and the Admins have no idea what they're doing. Arma multiplayer just isn't a plug and play experience.

The sad thing is, for me, I am at this point more afraid flying transport helicopters of our own people, then the same 1-2 guys in the enemy team flying A-10s for 5 hours straight and shooting our choppers down. I choose alternate paths, fly extremely low, that is, if I can make it off the ground. Trolls are smart. I hover usually so I can't be flipped and troops can still get it (the few people that get why I hover instead of being on the ground), but then, they pick that truck to catch me, or another chopper and land on mine to screw my blades up... Why can't they just make an no-mass respawn mode, or a no damage, no flip mechanic or so... Anyway, often times I load my guys up to fly to the city and we get team killed by own aircraft, and trolls even laugh at us. I am more afraid of my own team in this game then the enemy...no joke and no understatement.  :(

Hey man that happens quiet often in public Servers, either try to find a Server with active admins or less trolls or as someone mentioned before join a closed community (they normally have their own locked Server, the Thing here is that there isint always something going on).

If you think about joining a unit you might want to check out ArmA 3 Units or something like Armaclans (Carefull some Clans are Spamvoting) or just Google/Enjin.

Good luck and have fun

Retch

Why do you play on Public servers? Only trolls and griefers play on public servers. Join a milsim comunity. No trolling, No bulshit, No casuals.

• Like 1

I would just look at joining a community, not all community are Misim. My community i lead is not such a community, we just enjoy playing PvP. No ranks or any of that sort of nonsense. 

I would just look at joining a community, not all community are Misim. My community i lead is not such a community, we just enjoy playing PvP. No ranks or any of that sort of nonsense. 

I run a Milsim Comunity For arma 2. And i can assure you, that there is no nonsense in it. All our procedures are desingned specificaly for the game by real life military personel, adjusting real life military procedures to fit the limitations and pissibilities of the game. We dont use Firm military ranks,    we have  1 mission commander and 2 or 3 squad leaders, who are either volunteered or voted at the begining of each mission or campaign, instead. 

Milsim doesnt mean bullying people with rank. Milsim means roleplaying as an realistic military unit without all that gamey or hollywood-style nonsense casual players love so much. 

• Like 1

Admins don't do crap....

You'll get that behavior on KotH and Life type servers. People griefing. If you want to play public, try playing Invade and Annex. It's a gamemode that basically requires teamwork and cooperation. If you want to fly, join a servers Teamspeak, hop in, and start flying.

• Like 1

I have another question, I've recently started to get into tactical shooters like Insurgency, and I am having a blast with them.  I look at Arma 3 gameplay, and it looks really fun, tactical, and super realistic.  But I don't understand some things about the game.  Is there real multiplayer in which you and your team of "real players" go up against another team of "real players?"  It seems like it's always against the AI.  Is it strictly co-op against AI?  Because I am not into playing against the AI in any game really, but if I can play against "real players" I might pick it up.  Also how many players can there be on one map?  Can there be 100+ players altogether or more?

-TacticalAlbo

I have another question, I've recently started to get into tactical shooters like Insurgency, and I am having a blast with them.  I look at Arma 3 gameplay, and it looks really fun, tactical, and super realistic.  But I don't understand some things about the game.  Is there real multiplayer in which you and your team of "real players" go up against another team of "real players?"  It seems like it's always against the AI.  Is it strictly co-op against AI?  Because I am not into playing against the AI in any game really, but if I can play against "real players" I might pick it up.  Also how many players can there be on one map?  Can there be 100+ players altogether or more?

-TacticalAlbo

TvT or Team vs Team is indeed possible with Arma. In fact it has been possible throughout the Arma series, i.e. the past 15 years.

AFAIK the soft-coded limit is 255 players, i.e. 128 per side but if you want good performance (>30fps), then you probably want to limit player count to 50 per team.

Here is a good video (clear, detailed & wide-ranging)

• Like 1

-TacticalAlbo

As domokun said, yes there are PvP and TvT games ranging from capture the island (CTI) to King of the Hill (KoH) 

BUT... you should consider playing against the AI.  The AI are much better than most other games and still quite challenging.

Why insult groups that use ranks and play milsim... no one bashes the way you play the game so why bash the way I and many others do?

• Like 1