Sign in to follow this  
silentghoust

Lore friendly way of explaining for a AAF operation on Tonoa?

I feel that I'm wasting a 3rd faction with just using Syndicate(even though they are pretty cool). When you have a entire army that you can use. The issue is, as I'm a immersion kinda person. I find it hard to believe a tiny island nation would send a significant force a crossed the world. 

Maybe the whole island is after Miller?! :S

Any ideas for a possible scenario would be awesome!

• Like 2

An international peacekeeping coalition on Tanoa that includes AAF assets?

• Like 3

I would agree with that; the newly democratic and west-aligned Altian republic deploys its armed forces to Tanoa as part of a peacekeeping mandate.

If I remember correctly, Operation Arrowhead had a similar scenario, where Chernarussian forces were deployed alongside NATO troops.

• Like 4

Doesn't matter what you do, it's not believable, imo. Just look at the map and see where Altis and where Tanoa is. Can't say it's just around the corner. Also Altis has more than enough problems on their own, as far as I am aware. So sending out the few available units to the other side of the world is kinda weird.

But other than this, the faction names aren't visible ingame, if I remember right. So nothing stops you from using the assets and giving the people a new name. Even the camo kind of fits the setting... just change the gear a little bit here and there.

I'd agree with that Lexx said, I don't think that you can really explain Altis sending armed forces to Tanoa in the context of the official ARMA III lore. What you can always do is just come up with an alternative name and story for the AAF, e.g. call them a general Greek Armed Forces who might send a peacekeeping detachment. Or just use the equipment, change the faces and you have a local powerful army (Indonesia maybe, if you weren't fussed about the voices you could even call them Australian (and claim the flag on the uniform is a unit patch or something)). 

I use AAF as "insert any western army name".It's my go-to any future western army including a future UN task force.As a faction for me it doesn't have any identity so it can fill any role,the hardware they got can't be economically explained when you look at the island.

There are richer island nations that can't support an air force or tank platoons like Altis does,not to mention even in Arma lore those units are high-end stuff so even if they had them donated I doubt altasians could even afford the maintenance costs.

It has mostly western equipment and the only immersion breaker are the Kamaz trucks and the greek names otherwise it's a good filler for a lot of scenarios including ops on Tanoa.

I would agree with that; the newly democratic and west-aligned Altian republic deploys it's armed forces to Tanoa as part of a peacekeeping mandate.

If I remember correctly, Operation Arrowhead had a similar scenario, where Chernarussian forces were deployed alongside NATO troops.

Not really applicable here as Chernarus was next door to Takistan whereas Altis on the other hand is located to the south of Italy and is on the other side of the world.

• Like 1

Would most likely make sense as a peace keeping force, probably company sized transported there by other powers.

A company of infantry with a few support trucks and 1 or 2 helis would fit Tanoa perfectly.  Especially given Tanoa itself is not a country but part of a larger set of islands called the Horizon Islands.

Heck, look at some of the tiny island nations even now that send out peace keeping forces like Fiji or New Zealand :P

Is there even a background story to Tanoa? Never even heard of the Horizon Island thing.

We only know a fraction; Horizon Islands have been hit by a natural disaster of some sort and in the ensuing chaos Syndicate has gained ground.

What we don't know fully is why CTRG/NATO and CSAT are appearing on the island.  Presumably something to do with the seismic device from Arma 3.

Would most likely make sense as a peace keeping force, probably company sized transported there by other powers.

A company of infantry with a few support trucks and 1 or 2 helis would fit Tanoa perfectly.  Especially given Tanoa itself is not a country but part of a larger set of islands called the Horizon Islands.

Heck, look at some of the tiny island nations even now that send out peace keeping forces like Fiji or New Zealand :P

Probably the most possible situation. Hopefully the Tanoa campaign will explain the fate of Altis a bit more. I mean Chern had cake and pie for a ending compared to the fate of Altis as of current lore.

• Like 2

Probably the most possible situation. Hopefully the Tanoa campaign will explain the fate of Altis a bit more. I mean Chern had cake and pie for a ending compared to the fate of Altis as of current lore.

?

The ending of The East Wind (presumably the "good one") already explains everything that happens to Altis:

And by "good" I mean Paradise Found.

Altis is no longer ruled by a highly unpopular dictatorship under Akhanteros and returns to its pre-civil war democratic roots while no longer being CSAT-aligned as they were essentially kicked out after CSAT had retrieved the seismic device and abandoned Akhanteros and the rest of the AAF to their fate.

Meanwhile NATO continued its draw down efforts and has "abandoned this region" in favour of sending its forces to the Pacific region (i.e. Tanoa), even though the new FIA-led government would not object to keeping NATO forces on it. So Altis is back to normal and since there's no more fighting there isn't a reason to explain anything else about it apart from maybe a cameo or two.

Anyway, you can forget about a "New Altis Armed Forces" faction appearing lore-wise on Tanoa as it's already been ruled out by the devs themselves.

Considering the AAF are done for, if not wiped out entirely. Plus being at least 2000 miles from Tanoa and that's being really generous. I don't see how the AAF could in any way shape or form be at Tanoa.

How about, AAF research into earthquake on demand technology requires a second device on almost but not quite the exact opposite side of the earth?

• Like 1

?

The ending of The East Wind (presumably the "good one") already explains everything that happens to Altis:

And by "good" I mean Paradise Found.

Altis is no longer ruled by a highly unpopular dictatorship under Akhanteros and returns to its pre-civil war democratic roots while no longer being CSAT-aligned as they were essentially kicked out after CSAT had retrieved the seismic device and abandoned Akhanteros and the rest of the AAF to their fate.

Meanwhile NATO continued its draw down efforts and has "abandoned this region" in favour of sending its forces to the Pacific region (i.e. Tanoa), even though the new FIA-led government would not object to keeping NATO forces on it. So Altis is back to normal and since there's no more fighting there isn't a reason to explain anything else about it apart from maybe a cameo or two.

Anyway, you can forget about a "New Altis Armed Forces" faction appearing lore-wise on Tanoa as it's already been ruled out by the devs themselves.

The story is a bit more complex then that.

It's heavily implied that the Miller and his team have been working behind the scenes to instigate the whole conflict from day one. They pretty much would use and shaft anybody both NATO and AAF to get to the device. Characters from NATO, FIA, and AAF all seem to have connections to Miller and his team. Honestly it seemed like the only good guys were the AAF themselves, and the NATO peacekeepers who were not in on the conspiracy. Just play the first mission again and look at the clues such as the helicopter landing at camp maxwell and the strange explosion from a satchels charge as your commander request you to do some "heavy lifting" with the trucks.

Why I agree that the AAF probably is being rebuilt and doesn't have the manpower. Having a small team of black ops heading to tanoa after a certain indivual for revenge would be a pretty sweet story.

• Like 2

Btw. this part of the story - especially how everything begins in the very first mission - is pretty well done, imo. It's subtle and not IN YOUR FACE like most other games like to do it nowadays.

The story is a bit more complex then that.

You mean we need more information in Apex explaining what led up to the events of The East Wind, not what the fate of Altis was after the campaign was over. In which case you'd be correct. Semantics matter.  ;)

It's heavily implied that the Miller and his team have been working behind the scenes to instigate the whole conflict from day one. They pretty much would use and shaft anybody both NATO and AAF to get to the device. Characters from NATO, FIA, and AAF all seem to have connections to Miller and his team. Honestly it seemed like the only good guys were the AAF themselves, and the NATO peacekeepers who were not in on the conspiracy. Just play the first mission again and look at the clues such as the helicopter landing at camp maxwell and the strange explosion from a satchels charge as your commander request you to do some "heavy lifting" with the trucks.

It's a bit subjective as the AAF weren't really "good guys" to begin with, at least if you take into consideration what they did in the Prologue to the FIA and the rest of the island's citizens (or in the five years of civil war prior to 2031 for that matter).

You're right that only TF Aegis

(and probably the 111th MBCT that helped retake Altis if you take the alternate ending into account)

were the unlucky ones left out of the loop on purpose; with fatal consequences for them of course.

Why I agree that the AAF probably is being rebuilt and doesn't have the manpower. Having a small team of black ops heading to tanoa after a certain indivual for revenge would be a pretty sweet story.

We've got Viper Team for that, although if the trailer and list of animations were indicators of anything that certain individual has already been caught; though obviously we still don't know how or why that happened.

• Like 1

Biggest issue with Arma 3. Lack of real back stories. A half assed AAF story. An all NATO story...somewhat-which turns in more guerilla story instead of combined arms really. Then we have this illusive CSAT faction...who again has no story. Apex may be the finalization of all gameplay issues inherent in Arma 3. But the story is iffy.

The whole Communist China expansionists ideals of the collective could have been brought in.

Regards AAF. Simple betrayal by CSAT against them (The AAF) on Altis and Straits. Civil unrest which we have with FIA and civilians winning the Coupe de tat. A new Democratic elected government opting to commit troops to the new Flashpoint on Tanoa against CSAT. CSAT pushed back by militia and organized government forces on Altis and Stratis.

Tanoa lacks a military. An under funded poorly equipped Military would have served as a better independent faction against a Proxy funded CSAT guerrilla faction hell bend on over throwing the current Tanoan Government-which makes for easier picking and invasion. Look at supposed little green men and paid mercenaries in the Ukraine. Tanoa is based of Fiji and Fiji's military is basic. Against the technological behemoth of CSAT they would not stand a chance.

I can only assume why a decent story of three factions was not made. Time and Money or the lack there of. The only issue why they-troops fighting-on Apex that maybe hard to explain. But you could finally brought in the Super weapon threatening world democracies and by chance it was on Tanoa. Plane shot down. Test bed for the Quake machine.

• Like 1

@ graemeshute : What do you mean in saying  " ... the Coupe de tat." . In French we are saying "une Coupe d'Europe" ou "un coup d'état". B)

@ silentghoust : if AAF is in fact AustralAsianFriendship meaning the troops were send here by an interested 3rd side such as a countries linked in the "Nauru Treaty".

"Nauru Treaty" is a treaty signed in 2027 between Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, New Caledonia, Wallis &Futuna, Fiji, Nauru, Vanuatu, Solomons Islands in order to defend natural ground and sea resources against ASEAN countries  and China appetites. The choice of Nauru is highly symbolical for this very small country has been destroyed by intensive phosphate mining and now in 2035 it has no future.

The main problem is that these countries are not populated by Greek Altian people.

In the same way using FIA as Bluefor seems that the Greek pitas vendors mafia has joined the democracy and freedom  side.

So I hope somebody at BI can help us to create Bluefor tanoan irregulars units.

It will be great to have FAT in game in order to fight  NTFS ... "Front d'Auto-défenses de Tanoa" against "New Tanoan Forces Syndikate"

Call it Armada Aérienne Française or Armada Aérea Filipina.

As AAF uses european equipment, and you dispose of French voices the first one suite well. You only need to change the voice protocol and names. Problem is that Syndicate will be friend of French soldiers.

you want to include the AAF in the Apex with some backstory?

why not that AAF become a Malaysian Army?

1280px-PT-91M_Pendekar.jpg
or indonesian 

Leopard_MBT_Revolution_MBT.jpg

I think Singapore Army is even better, they use green digital uniform, TAR rifles, Leopard 2 and is British related.

Doesn't matter what you do, it's not believable, imo. Just look at the map and see where Altis and where Tanoa is. Can't say it's just around the corner. Also Altis has more than enough problems on their own, as far as I am aware. So sending out the few available units to the other side of the world is kinda weird.

Same could be said in a way of the real life Fiji... But they are one of the countries that participate more in UN peacekeeping missions around the globe, even when there was turmoil and coups d'etat in their home turf.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji_and_the_United_Nations#Peacekeeping

Yeah, but when it comes to current A3 lore, Altis had a long civil war that is still partly going on. So they really shouldn't have the necessary resources for sending out troops somewhere else. :>