Sign in to follow this  
big_t

Strengthen 1rst person only user base for Apex launch.

With the coming launch of Apex / Tanoa I'm sure there will be large influx of players loading up Arma for the first time in while.   I think it could be a good time to set up a 1PP server.

I believe these facts to be true:

• There are a fair amount Arma 3 players who prefer playing 1pp only

• The 3PP enabled servers seem to gather more players so most server owners opt for 3pp, fair enough.

• Many 1pp players have to compromise and live in a 3pp world because of the lack of servers.

My question is this: Would it be feasible for some of us 1pp advocates join together to buy some server time to ensure a solid 1pp wasteland or Team vs Team or CTI server?  

I have no experience with game servers or admining but am willing to contribute financially. Any ideas? 

I think the best solution would be to make 1PP the default setting for servers. I've heard the opinion here that 3PP is often enabled out of laziness, so if it was 1PP by default then if you found yourself on a 3PP server you can be sure it is a deliberate decision, and you can make an informed decision from that.

• Like 4

Playing third in a forest environment is a sure way to die easy and not see it coming, I call hax on those 1st person layabouts.

I play both BTW, third in the woods in Tanoa is suicide.

I think BI should set 3rd person disabled as a default setting. It would allow servers to switch it on, but "culture" the newcomers into 1st person being the norm.

• Like 3

Currently trying to set up a first person wasteland server just for 1st person play, because Tanoa is a map that works best in 1st person. After all when you go through the woods and really only get at best like 50 meters of visibility, combat as well as chasing after people becomes way more tense and exciting. Only problem I'm having is the guy that has the server is having trouble getting things working, something with the server just not appearing on the browser.

I think 1P/3P could do with some more options (possibly as bitflags that might be combined);

- Allow-3P when in a vehicle.

- Allow-3P when driving a vehicle.

- Allow-3P (and/or Command View) when in control of AI.

It might then be hoped that server admins would be more prepared to restrict 3P when on foot (being the occasion that invites actual abuse).

• Like 2

I think 1P/3P could do with some more options (possibly as bitflags that might be combined);

- Allow-3P when in a vehicle.

- Allow-3P when driving a vehicle.

- Allow-3P (and/or Command View) when in control of AI.

It might then be hoped that server admins would be more prepared to restrict 3P when on foot (being the occasion that invites actual abuse).

problem with vehicles having 3rd person is they already have a lot of extra fire power, armor, and speed, when compared to infantry. Giving them 3rd person now takes away the restricted view that helps balance them out away, so now getting the jump on them or evading them becomes more difficult then it should and would be.

problem with vehicles having 3rd person is they already have a lot of extra fire power, armor, and speed, when compared to infantry. Giving them 3rd person now takes away the restricted view that helps balance them out away, so now getting the jump on them or evading them becomes more difficult then it should and would be.

I don't mind using first person only in a vehicle, as long as I have different options on optics like those RHS vehicles, instead of stuck on a single view port.

I don't mind using first person only in a vehicle, as long as I have different options on optics like those RHS vehicles, instead of stuck on a single view port.

that i understand, because stuck on the same screan can get a bit boring. Though would be great if the PIP camera screen we could adjust, thus actually control stuff from that.

The issue with this, is 3rd person infantry allows you to do things you normally can't do. For example, lying prone behind a low cover allowing you to watch a area without risk exposing yourself. Vehicles can only really do this at long distances, which they naturally work well at anyways. In urban environments a player can outpace a vehicle easily. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing more hybrid solutions.  Yes, vehicles are way more unbalanced having 3PP and not having to deal with blind-spots but the only favorable alternative right now is playing on 3PP servers where 3PP is available across all players in all scenarios... that's a shame.  Personally I'd like to see servers where soldiers on foot are 1PP only, non-drivers in vehicles are 1PP only, drivers in vehicles get 3PP only if the engine is on.  This would make drivers and pilots happy but the "on foot" core of the game would remain 1PP.  It would also mean that you could potentially sneak around vehicles... if the engine is off then a foot soldier has options.  If the engine is on then at least both players are aware of the same situation.  And it means that the driver has to risk giving away their position by cranking the engine if they want to abuse 3PP... which is a better alternative to what happens now. 

It would be essential to have first person view Endgame servers on Apex launch. Better yet, without the crosshair.

As a long time A3 player I was first keenly waiting for Endgame.
Then I played Endgame and just stopped before few minutes, because 3rd person and crosshar were enabled. Wonder if extended armor was on too I wouldn't be surprised.

Man that was a bonerkiller. 3rd person ruins every aspect of PvP combat.

Thermals, Extended armor, 3rd person view and crosshair. Why not throw combat optics and long range optics for all!  There couldn't be a better way to kill it

Why do 1pp players insist they are the "real Arma players" and insist everyone cater to them?  I never see 3pp players deriding 1pp players or demanding that 1pp be disabled.  But I see the reverse on these forums ALL THE TIME.  If you like 1pp, great.  Just be aware, you are in the minority.  If you weren't there would be as many 1pp servers are there are 3pp. 

My advice, sincere and without sarcasm, is that the 1pp community should consolidate, not expand.  One, or even 100, more server(s) is not the answer.  Because you will have 100 servers with between 0 and 3 people on them.  CONSOLIDATE.  Less 1pp servers means more 1pp players per server.  2 or 3 per mission, per region should be plenty to handle this limited segment of the community.  

I think BI should set 3rd person disabled as a default setting. It would allow servers to switch it on, but "culture" the newcomers into 1st person being the norm

I agree, it doesn't make much sense for a shooter game to allow 3rd person view, at least by default.

Why do 1pp players insist they are the "real Arma players" and insist everyone cater to them?

Because Washington didn't cross Delaware using third person. [^] ;)

Oh man,this was discussed till the end of the time. Dude stop playing on servers with 3rd person enabled. It is so easy really

• Like 2

Oh man,this was discussed till the end of the time. Dude stop playing on servers with 3rd person enabled. It is so easy really

By making this post I was hoping to muster unity and more 1PP options for people who prefer 1PP  not start an endless debate about 1PP vs 3PP . Each camp is fairly dug in, so be it, it's just that options for 1PP only servers are quite limited, hence the post. 

Ivan I will check your server , I hope it gets up and running  !!

By making this post I was hoping to muster unity and more 1PP options for people who prefer 1PP  not start an endless debate about 1PP vs 3PP . Each camp is fairly dug in, so be it, it's just that options for 1PP only servers are quite limited, hence the post. 

Ivan I will check your server , I hope it gets up and running  !!

If you want to play 1st person, i would suggest join a gaming community that operates in that fashion. I help run a 1st person gaming gaming community, but it doesn't mean i think 1st person is the best thing ever. Arma3 is a diverse game platform, you can play the game how you want to play it. It doesn't need to be nor should it be set to one type of game preference or genre. The freedom of BIS games since the dawn of OFP has always allowed players to choose how they want to play.

And before this threads descends into further nonsense i will close it. :padlock:

• Like 2