scorcher24

New Computer for Arma 3 (and ofc other games)

I couldn't play the game a lot because I am scraping the bottom of the barrel for FPS and MP is simply too much for my Computer. 

My current PC:

FX4300

8GB RAM

ASUS M5A78LMUSB3

SSD

512GB HDD

AMD HD7850

Corsair 650WTX Bronze Plus

My planned PC:

Intel Skylake i5 6600K

GIGABYTE Z170-GAMING K3-EU

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B300​0C15 Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000Mhz CL15 XMP 2.0

AMD RX480

Corsair CP-9020091-EU RMX Serie RM650X

Arctic Freezer 13

Same SSD + HDD

How do you think this will fare in Arma 3? Should I go for the 100€ more expensive i7 6700k instead? Will there be a lot of difference?

I am trying to keep the cost low (although this is not really a budget build anymore), but if an i7 would be a significant improvement, I would be willing to spend it.

Not playing any of the RPG Mods, just want to play some regular good old fashioned warfare.. if those servers even still exist or Altis Life has completely taken over.

If anyone could give a good estimate, or has a similar build, I would appreciate some insight.

it looks good arma 3 loves good fast ram with reasonable cas timing and a good cpu, I5 are perfect anyway. the motherboard im not a huge fan of because of the manufacture, I like MSi and Asus as they seem to be the most durable and have a long life span. the AMD video card im not really big on because you will lose some performance with that card due to arma 3 having a horrible thing called "phyx" so you will have more cpu load instead of it going to your less demanding GPU. the GPU i would go for if you are doing 1080p would have to be the Gtx 970 and 1070. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. I am not gonna go NVIDIA, sorry, I don't want to support them, for various reason, but I also don't want to start a flame war over it. So let's just please leave it at that.

Which Mainboard would you recommend instead that supports CrossFireX and M.2 SSD lanes? Just in case I ever get around to get a 2nd 480.

Thanks for the reply. I am not gonna go NVIDIA, sorry, I don't want to support them, for various reason, but I also don't want to start a flame war over it. So let's just please leave it at that.

Which Mainboard would you recommend instead that supports CrossFireX and M.2 SSD lanes? Just in case I ever get around to get a 2nd 480.

motherboards are all the same they are just connections to be made with other components. pick a motherboard which has the amount of USB, Cat 5,6 socket, PCI, sata amount you want... they have overclocking types and they have motherboards which have decent audio cards integrated inside and then you have build quality which Asus and Msi are really good at. as to what motherboard you need, its your chose. and I would avoid going with multi-cards as they still have many problems in games,  including arma 3. get the single most powerful card you want/need.