Sign in to follow this  
HeroesandvillainsOS

Can someone explain sling loading to me?

So I'm setting up a mission and I'd like to have it so players can sling load vehicles if they choose. I've never added it to a mission before so I don't know how to properly make the option available.

So how do I do this? Do I just plop the module down and viola, people can now sling load? Or do I need to sync the module to any helicopter I manually place down in the editor?

Can AI pilots use this feature, or is it just for human pilots? Example: Let's say I really want the AI to drop me off a vehicle or pick me up and take my vehicle with me. Is there a way to ask for that or is the game really not capable of such a thing?

I really know nothing about how to implement it into a mission or what it actually looks like to use it in game so any info on the topic would be really helpful.

Hello,

I want to help you a little bit.

Nearly all kind of helicopters are able to sling load (except: AH-99 Blackfoot, Mi-48 Kajman and VTOLs).

You don't need a module or something like that.

1. Just place a MH-9 Hummingbird (or all other kind of helicopters that are able to sling load) and a Quadbike (every chopper is able to sling load that vehicle)

2. preview the mission, get in the chopper and press Right Ctrl + B -> opens the "Sling Load Assistant" (SLA; radar like interface on the right side of the screen)
-the SLA helps you with the alignment of your chopper above the target
-on the SLA all sling loadable targets are marked with a square and a green dot

3. hover above the target (minimum is an altitude of 9m or lower), both lines (horizontal and vertical) should be green, now press "B" to initiate the sling load procedure
-if your helicopter is aligned correctly you should hear an engine sound (hooks got lowered) and see a visual progress (Attaching) on your SLA (strings got lowered in the third person view)

4. after the target got sling loaded (SLA shows "Hooked") you are ready to go

5. fly save to your destination
-flight characteristics are now influenced by the hooked vehicle/object

6. at the destination press "B" to drop the vehicle/object
-hover at least 10-15 meters above the ground
______________________________________________________________________________________

The AI is also capable to sling load and transport vehicles and objects:

1. Just place a player controlled soldier (for spectating), an AI controlled MH-9 Hummingbird and a Quadbike

2. click on the MH-9 and choose waypoint (F4; pair of shoes icon)
-choose "Lift Cargo" (hook icon) and click on the Quadbike
-there should be a black line from the start point of the MH-9 to the Quadbike

3. now create a second waypoint for the MH-9 on a different location
-choose "Drop Cargo" (canceled hook icon)

4. now click on preview and spectate the whole procedure with your soldier

Have fun and best regards

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

So I don't need to place a sling loading module in the editor at all? What the heck is the module there for then if you can just sling load without it?

For the AI dropping off stuff, that's really amazing. :) So would it be possible for me to do the above steps with the AI, and click on a place pretty far away on the map so I can have a vehicle waiting for me when I arrive somewhere? Or rather, when I click my second waypoint, can it be anywhere on the map and the AI is smart enough to travel somewhere and drop the vehicle/cargo?

If so that's so cool!

I would just say: "Go and try for yourself!" but I will be so kind ;)

If you are in command of a chopper crew (or just the pilot) you can tell him a what he has to lift and where he should drop it

1. place a soldier (player), a Quadbike and a flying MH-9 Hummingbird (click on it and hold Alt to set its altitude with the mouse)

2. connect the MH-9 Hummingbird with the soldier
-highlight the MH-9, hold Ctrl, click and drag the line to the soldier on the ground
-now the soldier on the ground is in command of the MH-9 Hummingbird crew

3. preview the mission and choose the pilot of the MH-9 (F-keys)

4. look at the Quadbike and choose "lift cargo"
-the MH-9 will perform that action

5. open your map and look for a destination (mouse cursor)
-now press the F-key and choose "drop cargo"

-the MH-9 will fly to the given destination and drop the Quadbike at the given position

What the heck is the module there for then if you can just sling load without it?

The question is simple answered:

With the Sling Load Module it is possible to directly connect an object/vehicle with a chopper without performing a lifting sequence

1. place a soldier (player), a Quadbike and a flying MH-9 Hummingbird (click on it and hold Alt to set its altitude with the mouse)

2. place the "Sling Load" module (F5 -> Modules -> Others)

3. right click on the "Sling Load" module, choose "Connect" -> "Sync to" and click on the Quadbike

4. repeat step 3 and "Sync to" the MH-9 Hummingbird

5. preview the mission
-the Quadbike is already hooked at the beginning of the mission

Best regards

• Like 1

Hello guys!

How to check that the cargo was sling in specific trigger area?