taro8

M2 Slammer Firepower Upgrade Project v6.1

M2 Slammer Firepower Upgrade Project
Current version: v6.1

Hello, I have created a little config mod with adds a new tanks based on the M2A4 Slammer tank for BLUFOR. It's my first mod like that so not everything works perfectly, so if you have any suggestions how to fix, or improve, certain elements, feel free to weight in. It was done mostly to figure out how to properly edit the config files.

THIS MOD DOES NOT CONTAIN NEW MODELS (sadly)

[FLUFF]
NATO found the existing M2A1 firepower to be lacking. To fix this issue the "Firepower Upgrade Conversion Kit" has been developed for the M2A4 Slammer with was already upgraded with the TUSK (although M2A4 only had 105mm main gun). Along with the improved armor of the M2A4 variant, the additional firepower of the M2A6 is something to be respected. It can still carry troops as well, making it a unique jack-of-all-trades armored fighting vehicle.

However, recent high intensity conflicts have shown that a highly trained and motivated enemy, as opposed to usual goat pushers NATO likes to stomp on, can withstand suppression from .50cal MG's. To rectify this, two further modifications to the M2 Slammer has been designed, based on the successful M2A6 Firepower Upgrade; the M2A7 and M2A8. For both, the gunner's 12.7mm coaxial machine gun has been replaced with 20mm autocannon, with has much bigger shock & terror impact on the infantry. The "Designated Infantry Combat Killer" variant, the M2A7, sees commander with 20mm Grenade Machine Gun instead of usual .50cal. The 20mm GMG have been proven useful in dealing with the infantry in cover. The M2A8 is a slight variation of the M2A7. Not happy with decreasing the long range engagement capabilities of the commander's weapon system in M2A7, the NATO engineers came up with the idea of mounting and "Advanced Suppression System", in a form of an 20mm autocannon, for commander's use. While the cannon lacks some of the splash damage 20mm grenades had, it allows for a long range engagements, retains most of the shock value, and can serve as an anti-air weapon.
[/FLUFF]

Features

4 new Slammer variants: M2A6, M2A7, M2A8 and M2A9

The main features of M2A6 Slammer Firepower Upgrade:
  • new standalone tank for BLUFOR (just for compatibility's sake), the M2A6
  • improved armor of the M2A4 variant
  • M2A6 can still carry troops
  • enhanced optics for both, commander and the gunner. 2 new extra zoom levels and the commander gets an additional ultra wide default zoom (old one is still included)
  • FLIR modes changed to black and white
  • 120mm main gun
  • ability for main gun and gunner's MG to lock onto ground targets (MG can lock onto air targets as well) with impact point calculation and automatic range and leading correction for moving targets
  • 12.7mm coaxial machine gun for the gunner (Ma Deuce still got it) with 3x500rnd magazine with ability to lock onto air and ground target, impact point calculation and automatic leading for moving targets
  • commander's MG now has impact point calculation
  • ability to launch guided anti-tank and anti-air missiles, in both wire guided as well as fire-and-forget modes
  • commander has a fully functional laser designator available for designating targets for other M2A6's, aircraft and such
  • commander can fire 82mm mortar rounds, 8 shells in total
  • AI gunner, once locked onto laser designated target, keeps following it allowing for guiding really tricky shots as a commander
  • the M2A6 AI crew is aware of laser designated targets and will engage them, meaning UAV or infantry designation for the M2A6 is possible
  • improved the engine power so the tank is more nippy and feels better to drive
The main features of M2A7 Slammer Firepower Upgrade Cannons Infantry Terrorizer:
  • further firepower enhancement of the M2A6
  • all of the advanced M2A6 features (laser designator, CCIP, 82mm mortar, etc.)
  • 12.7mm coaxial MG has been replaced with a 20mm autocannon
  • commander's MG has been replaced with 20mm Grenade Machine Gun
The main features of M2A8 Slammer Firepower Upgrade Cannons Advanced Suppression:
  • further firepower enhancement of the M2A6
  • all of the advanced M2A6 features (laser designator, CCIP, 82mm mortar, etc.)
  • 12.7mm coaxial MG for both commander and the gunner have been replaced with a 20mm autocannons
The main features of M2A9 Slammer Firepower Upgrade 140:
  • further firepower enhancement of the M2A8
  • most of the advanced M2A9 features (laser designator, CCIP, etc.)
  • commander loses his mortar
  • no passenger capacity in exchange for more ammo
  • new 140mm main gun with ammo: APFSDS, HE and FAE. The new gun can still fire missiles
  • new 140mm main gun has a 4 shots autoloader with 5.5s delay between each shot and 20s magazine reload time
  • new 140mm ammo: a thermobaric rounds (140mm FAE). They have pretty low damage, but they have huge splash radius
  • less nippy then the other variants due to added weight of the bigger gun and ammunition (it just doesn't get the improved engine other variants got, it behaves like vanilla M2A4)
Classnames
B_MBT_01_FU_F - M2A6 classname
B_MBT_01_FUC_IT_F - M2A7 classname
B_MBT_01_FUC_AS_F - M2A8 classname
cannon_120mmFU - new gun classname
cannon_140mmFU - new 140mm gun classname
mortar_82mmFU - commander's mortar classname
HMG_127_FU_Hull - gunner's machine gun classname
HMG_127_FU_Commander - commander's machine gun classname
20mm_cannon_FU_Hull - M2A7 & M2A8 gunner's autocannon classname
GMG_20mm_FU_Commander - M2A7 commander's grenade machine gun classname
20mm_cannon_FU_Commander - M2A8 commander's autocannon classname
ultra_Wide - new, additional, minimal zoom level for commander
extra_zoom1 - extra zoom classname
extra_zoom2 - new additional maximum zoom classname
Sh_140mm_APFSDS - 140mm APFSDS shell classname
Sh_140mm_HE - 140mm HE shell classname
Sh_140mm_HET - 140mm FAE (thermobaric) shell classname
4Rnd_140mm_HE_shells - 4 round magazine of the 140mm HE shells classname
4Rnd_140mm_APFSDS_shells - 4 round magazine of the 140mm APFSDS shells classname
4Rnd_140mm_HET_shells - 4 round magazine of the 140mm FAE shells classname

Known Issues
1. I have created a new gun based on vanilla 120mm, the classname is "cannon_120mmFU", its rather important as some script might require the gun classname to function properly (smart tanks for example). Also the model of the M2A4 is unchanged, meaning the gun still has 105 model, but it's not really all that noticeable.
2. For some reason the commander's weapons only get lead indicator when target is locked in by the gunner and for that target only. I think it's some engine limitation.
3. The AI likes to fire AT missiles first, so M2A6 only gets 2 AT missiles
4. Sorry, but this one is rather janky. I couldn't get the artillery computer working for the commander, it only worked for gunner and he didn't have the mortar available to him. You will need to eyeball it when firing. Also due to how turrets and such work, the mortar shell is fired from the commander's MG.
5. It's pretty random what weapon AI will use to fire at the laser marker, they like to fire AT at it. Also, they do not always spot the marker, so moving it around their field of view might get their attention.
6. With the new autocannons AI REALLY likes them for some reason, so far it may fire them at targets like APC's and such. If anyone knows how to limit that: drop an info.
7. The new CCIP has some issues with ACE, if you use the ACE FCS to range the target the CCIP will NOT be corrected for new range. This more of ACE issue with Arma 3 then with my mod, I'm sure it wil be fixed someday.

Changelog
v6.1 - current version
* automatic leading and rage correction for the gunner returns
* 140mm gun changed to be more like a World of Tanks autoloader: 4 shots in the magazine, 5.5s delay between shots, 20s magazine reload
* lowered pitch on the 140mm firing sound to make it sound more powerful
* added muzzle flash to 140mm (just artillery firing effect didn't have that for some reason)
* added magazine reload sounds to 140mm
* nerfed splash damage of the 140mm FAE (thermobaric) round, from 50m to 30m
* changed ammo composition for the A9 with 140mm, now it has 4 round magazines with overall ammo count same as before, more or less
* AT missile magazine to be bigger

v6
* new variant the M2A9 with a new 140mm main gun. The new gun is bigger so commander lost his mortar in this variant and the passenger compartment was converted into ammo storage. The added weight makes the M2A9 slower then the other variants (it just doesn't get the improved engine other variants got, it behaves like vanilla M2A4). It still gets the 20mm autocannons as secondary guns
* new 140mm gun gets new ammo as well with better stats then 120mm shells
* new 140mm FAE shell. This thermobaric round has a low damage, but huge splash radius, ideal for taking out large groups of infantry
* improved the engine on the M2A6, M2A7 and the M2A8. The tanks feels a bit more nippy especially on slight inclines.
* lowered artillery charge of the commander's mortar to 30%. 50% made it shoot too far and it was hard to lob shells over close obstacles
* removed the automatic leading correction for gunner. I discovered it could mess with your aim, the new lead indicator is shown instead, same as with commander

v5
* new additional zoom levels for commander and the gunner. The commander also gets a new extra wide zoom level
* FLIR modes for commander and the gunner changed to black and white
* commander's mortar: reload time increased to 6 seconds (from 1.8), artillery charge dropped to 50% (from 70%)
* 20mm cannons got another slight buff to RoF (still slower then 20mm GMG)
* reduced magazine number for 20mm cannons and 20mm GMG, removed 1 magazine each

v4.3
* fixed an issue in with commander's weapon systems were automatically corrected for targets aimed by the gunner. Now commander only gets target lead indicator, so he can fire at other targets without aim being messed up.

v4.2
* fixed some of the 82 mortar issues: removed 2 firing modes so you only have 70% artillery charge, now you only need to press button once to change from mortar. Removed firing effect from the main gun
* fixed AI sounds for 20mm cannons, now they are same as player's
* 20mm cannons got a tiny RoF buff
* decreased the amount of ammo for

v4.1
* fixed the AI rate of fire and sounds for autocannons, hopefully without braking it in other ways

v4
* two new variants for the Slammer, M2A7 and M2A8. Both now sport 20mm coaxial canon. The M2A7 is the infantry killer variant with 20mm GMG for the commander. The M2A8 has 20mm cannon for commander instead

v3
* M2A6 now has it's own custom version of the .50's for both commander and the gunner. Both sport impact point prediction and gunner's MG can track air targets as well as automatically give lead to locked moving target. Those are custom in order to not create any possible compatibility issues
* cleaned up config a bit

v2
- fixed ballistic computer prediction, for now main gun can only lock onto ground targets, AA missiles work as they did

v1
- initial release

Download (Mediafire)

Armaholic mirror
news_download_a3_3.png

Play withSIX mirror
banner-420x120.png

OOoh I like the idea of the CCIP for the gunner !

Not sure if it actually works.

Unfortunately not much. I was also trying CCIP for the tanks it really is meant for the aircrafts. Target tracking on the other hand shows some more promising results for the ground vehicles.

Unfortunately not much. I was also trying CCIP for the tanks it really is meant for the aircrafts. Target tracking on the other hand shows some more promising results for the ground vehicles.

So, should I leave it in?

Good work!

Now if only trophys can be figured out

Do you plan on adding the mortar and atgm to the other variants?

(also, have you tried this with ace?)

Good work!

Now if only trophys can be figured out

Do you plan on adding the mortar and atgm to the other variants?

(also, have you tried this with ace?)

Yeah, trophy would be awesome...

Nah, at least not for now, I want to iron out the kinks before that. Adding those features now after I figured out how to do that properly wouldn't be too hard.

Works ACE FCS, not sure about overpressure since gun is new, although it uses vanilla 120mm so it may inherit the overpressure settings as well. Since M2A6 is based completely on M2A4's config with just slight changes. there isn't many issues.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the lead indicator working.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the lead indicator working.

ballisticsComputer = 4;

0=disabled

1=manuel and automatic adjustment

2=only manuel adjustment

4=lead indicator

8=ccip

you can use multiple variables.

ballisticsComputer = 1 + 4;

If you enable both CCIP and target leading when you locked on to a target CCIP gets disabled, only lead indicator shows. Removing or keeping the CCIP is up to you my friend however as far as I know it is totally inaccurate on ground vehicles.

ballisticsComputer = 4;
0=disabled

1=manuel and automatic adjustment

2=only manuel adjustment

4=lead indicator

8=ccip

you can use multiple variables.

ballisticsComputer = 1 + 4;
If you enable both CCIP and target leading when you locked on to a target CCIP gets disabled, only lead indicator shows. Removing or keeping the CCIP is up to you my friend however as far as I know it is totally inaccurate on ground vehicles.

Thanks, I got it working now. It does not make much of a difference it,s still hard to shoot down an aircraft. The target prediction does seem to work on ground targets as well.

I have decided that gunners will not be able to lock onto aircraft using cannon shells (AA missiles still can). I'm testing an edit to commander's HMG with will allow for AA fire.

EDIT: Unfortunately commander cannot lock onto targets for some reason. Gunner with same weapon can (I tested it). However the point of impact prediction works for commander MG, ie. you can see where, more or less, bullets will fall. Right now I'm testing special MG's configs for the M2A6 version will will have CCIP enabled.

New version is up, v3.

Now both commander and gunner get a custom MG. Gunner's MG has predicted impact point, leading for moving targets and can lock onto air and ground targets. Commander's MG sadly only has impact point calculation as it seems he cannot lock onto targets the way gunner can. All the features are activated for both commander and gunner, so if there is a way for a commander to lock onto targets he should have all the features available to him.

I think I now have tried everything I could to upgrade the Slammer. Including trying to add an artillery computer for indirect firing, but that didn't work. The only way I could think of improving the Slammer now, is adding the Trophy active protection system, sadly nobody figured out how to create something like that.

I may add another variant of the M2A6 with would have disabled ability carry troops, but have much more ammo. However I will need to figure out how to disable the cargo space for that.

BTW: foxhound, there some slight formatting issues with the mod description.

If someone would like to create a video, have some recording of gameplay featuring my tank, or something like that feel free to share, I will gladly link to it. Ideas and tips are very much welcome.

• Like 1

Updated mod v3.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey taro8 , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.

All right! New version is up.

Good news everyone: I have found a new way to make M2A6 even more dangerous and broken. I have decided to make OPFOR infantry's life even harder by creating 2 new variants.

The new variants, the M2A7 and M2A8 keep all the goodies form M2A6, like mortar, advanced ballistic computer etc. For both variants, the gunner's MG has been replaced with 20mm autocannon! In the M2A7 variant the commander's MG has been replaced with 20mm Grenade Machine Gun. On the M2A8 commander has 20mm autocannon instead.

All of the new weapon system have the advanced ballistic computer features (impact prediction etc.) enabled.

EDIT: Slight issues with the autocannons ATM: AI fire rate and sound are wrong, working on a fix.

EDIT 2: Sound for AI firing and AI RoF fixed, hofulle without breaking something else in the process.

New fix version is up: v4.2

Fixed few of the 82mm mortar issues. Namely I removed 2 extra firing modes with had different artillery charges, now you only get the 70%. I may stay with 70% or change it to 35% depending on feedback, 70% charge has a flatter trajectory, but can fly further while 35% ran be lobbed over really close buildings, but range sucks. I also fixed the main gun firing animation on mortar shot, now only commander's MG has the animation when mortar is fired.

I also changed AI firing sound of the 20mm autocannons, so they match player's sound. 20mm cannons also got a slight RoF buff, just to make infantry's life even shittier :P.

EDIT: I have discovered an issue with commander's weapon systems. Their aim prediction do in work, but it's slaved to what gunner is aiming at, so if you tell gunner to aim at something (like helicopter) and you want to shoot at something else, you shoots will be corrected for the helicopter. I'm working on a version with will just give commander point to shoot at instead of automatically correcting the shot.

EDIT2: Now commander's weapon is not automatically corrected to lead targets locked in by the gunner. Instead commander has a lead indicator with does not mess aim if you want to shoot at something else then the gunner.

New version v4.3 is up.

BTW: foxhound I think my mod should be in vehicle section as it adds new vehicles instead of new weapons. The weapons added by me a re simple editions to ensure compatibility with other mods.

Damn it! A forum monster ate half of my OP!

EDIT: TWICE!

Got it back into what it was before, more or less.

New version: v5, Hubble edition!

So I figured out how to edit optics. I have decided to to add 2 new extra zoom levels for both commander and the gunner. Additionally commander gets a new ultra wide default view for better situational awareness. Refer to screenshots to see changes in action.

Additionally, I have changed FLIR modes for both commander and the gunner to black and white, they are more readable IMHO.

I have finally wrested the control over the mortar firing modes. The big change is a new 6 seconds reload time (I wanted it from the start) and the artillery charge has been dropped to 50%, from 70%. The new charge still has quite some range, less then 70% though, but it's easier to lob shells over obstacles.

http://imgur.com/a/jjT2h

• Like 1

Will you post this on Workshop?  Very neat way to add the updates...don`t forget the .cpp file,to make it work...

Will these show up in Zeus?

Could you add to the traction/friction of tracks,so that it could keep at least 40km/h uphill? How do I use the laser for the missiles in this Arma addon?

Could you add a Group? For Combined Arms?

Will you post this on Workshop?  Very neat way to add the updates...don`t forget the .cpp file,to make it work...

Will these show up in Zeus?

Can't get the steam publisher to work. Not a big fan of steam workshop anyway.

They should appear in Zeus, at least I think so.

Could you add to the traction/friction of tracks,so that it could keep at least 40km/h uphill? How do I use the laser for the missiles in this Arma addon?

Could you add a Group? For Combined Arms?

Never touched tracftion engine or anything like that, I'll check and see what can be done, no promises though.

I may add groups. I always wanted to add an "Armored Infantry" group, with a infantry and M2 Slammer mixed unit. Still, no promises about that one.

EDIT: As for missiles, they work the same way they did in Arma you can order to lock onto stuff with lock target key (check configuration) as the commander. Thing is AI doesn't always spot the marker, try pointing the laser near the tank and press lock target key repeatedly until the gunner gracefully decided to lock onto the marker. I didn't change anything about the missiles they work exactly the same way they do in vanilla.

Good news everyone! A new version: v6, is up.

I have found a way to make a new OP variant of the M2 Slammer. The idea came from the Armored Warfare game and its 140mm top tier tanks. I decided to create a new variant, the M2A9 for with I created a new 140mm gun along with new ammo. The new gun has firing effects and sounds of the 155mm artillery with makes it looks and sound awesome (especially with dragonfyre and blastcore). Aside from APFSDS and HE rounds I have created a new FAE round. This new round is a thermobaric round with low damage, but a huge splash radius. This makes it rather ineffective against vehicles, but it will wipe infantry like nobody's business. The new HE get a mortar impact effect to make it look good, while the FAE round gets the bomb effects as well the sounds (looks and sounds sick with dragonfyre and blastcore). The new 140mm gun can still fire missiles.
However, to keep things at least a bit balanced, I have removed the commanders mortar as well as passenger compartment, but M2A9 can carry more ammo instead.

In other news: I have discovered stats responsible for engine power and such. While I was unable to crack the advanced gears, torque and such, I was successful at increasing the overall engine power. This makes the new variants (except for M2A9 - more weight) a bit more nippy and makes the tanks feel better to drive, especially on slight inclines. Just hold that shift key.

The gunner lost automatic leading for targets. I discovered it sometimes messed with the aim when you wanted to quickly shoot at something other then what you targeted. Also the MG's correction for fast moving targets looked really weird with guns firing pretty much sideways. Instead the gunner now gets the lead indicator, same as the commander.

I also decided to decrease commander's mortar charge from 50% to 30%. I felt that 50% gives too much range and makes it hard to lob shells over obstacles.

I noticed that ACE FCS module does not play well with the new CCIP in Arma 3, if you range targets using ACE's FCS the CCIP will NOT get updated to the new zeroed range. This is more of an issue between ACE and Arma 3.

EDIT: Question; how do you guys feel about the 140mm having a World of Tanks style autoloader? I kinda want to give it a 4 shot autoloader with something like 3.5s delay between shots and something like 40s reload on magazine. I tested it and the A9 now has a huge burst damage potential, but is less flexible as it cannot load different shells as fast. The magazine reload time isn't as noticeable as in WoT as you have the 20mm and can still do stuff. I think this makes the M2A9 different and, IMHO, interesting.

• Like 1

New version is up v6.1!

I decided to restore the automatic range and leading correction for the gunner. I feel it actually works better with ace.

I made a decision to turn the 140mm cannon on the M2A9 into a World of Tanks style autoloader. Now it has 4 shots magazine with 5.5s delay between shots and 20s magazine reload. I feel it makes the A9 different from all the other tanks. This brought a change of the magazines with now are 4 shots each. However I modified the magazine count so the overall shell number is, more or less, as it was. I also changed the AT missiles magazine to be bigger (5 instead of 2).

I messed around with sounds: I lowered the pitch of the firing sound of the 140mm, to make it sound more powerful. I also added loading sounds.

I nerfed the splash radius of the 140mm FAE (thermobaric) rounds to 30m (from 50).