zerocrack01

Managing AI's Gear

Most played Game Series in my life. :)  It is comfortable that the ai commands have not changed after 15 years. But it is not comfortable that it is still a pain to manage the inventory of ai units in my squad as leader. 

Yes, you can access all members inventory on the map which is not the issue and yes, you can command by choosing an individual and press 6 to get a list of 10 weapon of the same type and hope that the ai do not run 10km away to pick up the weapon you want him to pick up even 1m in front of him is the same thing and yes, you can let them move to a body press 6, press inventory and hope he picks the correct body.

Because of the more complex gear options, including weight, backpacks etc. it is a pain and very frustrating to manage that. Is the engine so limited, that it even after 15 years not possible to choose an ai, point at a weapon/ body gear and get an option to let them directly access the inventory/ pick up . Similar to the 'get in' command with vehicles.

I am really that stupid and miss some function or is there really no efford to adress that problem?

• Like 2

Seems I have been telling a lot of people about this sweet mod recently-it's perfect for SP players like myself  http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25910

Next time you are in game, go into the arsenal or use any arsenal mod you like, and make several loadouts. i go to the editor and use the arsenal in MCC but any arsenal will do-it's just to build loadouts.What I do is make a squad for different camo's, so I will have rifleman AOR1, Sniper M81 etc. i change them up every week or two for variaty or when i get new helmets or weapons etc. You save the loadout-which is what ever you are -currently equipped with- using the mod I linked.

Then in any mission you open the loadout screen either from your own inventory or from any container.Pick whichever loadouts you made and double click on the ai teammate--he will then be equipped with that loadout. It is the best mod I have ever found-no more equipping my team in proper camo and weapons at the start of each mission,no more worrying about them running out of ammo.I have about 20 different loadouts saved and I use them as needed.

• Like 1

I think he's more talking about commanding the AI to pick up weapons in mission and accessing the units equipment when looting. As a matter of fact when telling the AI to pick up a weapon from a dead unit you have not the possibility to figure in what distance the weapon will be from the units position. In order get the nearest weapon you need to select your unit and give him a move command and move him close to the dead AI and access the equipment menu. It hasn't changed since OFP times when commanding AI in game.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I think he's more talking about commanding the AI to pick up weapons in mission and accessing the units equipment when looting. As a matter of fact when telling the AI to pick up a weapon from a dead unit you have not the possibility to figure in what distance the weapon will be from the units position. In order get the nearest weapon you need to select your unit and give him a move command and move him close to the dead AI and access the equipment menu. It hasn't changed since OFP times when commanding AI in game.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh I know, believe me :) Thats why I mentioned the mod-I just gave up trying to equip and manage ai, so I just use that mod now.

Spyder Addons has a loadout manager module which can be synced to any item in the editor.

When you open the loadout manager, you can transfer any Arsenal saved gear to any AI in your squad. You can make different folders for your stored loadouts too (one for RHS, one for 3CB, etc).

I'm not saying the above linked mod probably isn't better (seeing as you don't need to apply the loadout manager within the editor itself), but it's definitely another option if that doesn't work out (or if it stops working in the future).

• Like 1

but it's definitely another option if that doesn't work out (or if it stops working in the future).

Dont even say that! I dont know what i will do if it stops working :D

• Like 1

Seems I have been telling a lot of people about this sweet mod recently-it's perfect for SP players like myself  http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25910

Next time you are in game, go into the arsenal or use any arsenal mod you like, and make several loadouts. i go to the editor and use the arsenal in MCC but any arsenal will do-it's just to build loadouts.What I do is make a squad for different camo's, so I will have rifleman AOR1, Sniper M81 etc. i change them up every week or two for variaty or when i get new helmets or weapons etc. You save the loadout-which is what ever you are -currently equipped with- using the mod I linked.

Then in any mission you open the loadout screen either from your own inventory or from any container.Pick whichever loadouts you made and double click on the ai teammate--he will then be equipped with that loadout. It is the best mod I have ever found-no more equipping my team in proper camo and weapons at the start of each mission,no more worrying about them running out of ammo.I have about 20 different loadouts saved and I use them as needed.

I must say, you have a very creative way you solved that for yourself. You manage it by totally avoiding such situation, which is understandable. But I see no reason why i should download a mod, prepare each mission and destroy my immersion because BI is not capable  improving such a basic thing. And trust me, modding the game is not the problem. Only that there is no mod that addresses the problem i described. It seems the community do not see such importance in that. Why they should?  Anyways, it is so basic and a no brainer to improve. I can understand having this issue in OPF CW, where gear was very basic,  but not in 2016 where i have a graphical update with fancy water shader, but need to use minutes and 100 inputs to let ai pick up a god damn backpack.

Do know how i solved to give the ai a item? I go to a dead enemy, pick up the item, move 10 m away where is nothing, command the ai to stand on the item, press 6, press multiple time 0 until inventory is found, choose inventory, chances are 50/50 (recommended to run 1km further away from any interactive objects) that ai will inspect the item (which is very high), I equip the ai, finish.  Lets do that with again with other 5 ai mates and you are ready to go. 

I love this game with its god sides and flaws, but this really triggers me after 15 years  :wacko:  ;)

Just my 2 cents.

Exactly what i meant  :)  I mean, i like guerilla missions, where i must live with that what i have or loot what enemies have.

God, i really wish classic OPF Resistance style missions. That is why scouting is the only funny part in the east wind campaign.  Main missions are too short and just running from one script to another.  :rolleyes: Dreaming..., but that is another topic.

• Like 1

It's not so bad if the mission has unit switching on, because you can just switch to the guy in question and pick up what you need. But you're so right, the AI controls have stayed the same since Flashpoint while the game has gotten so much more complex. 

Would be nice to see 1 or 2 of the devs take a run at improving AI control after the expansion hits.

Imagine something very similar to ACE interaction system where you could select your AI unit, then look at the backpack on the ground, interact with it and have a selection of options that your AI can perform on that item. You could then select a unit, look at a vehicle and see the actual options to get in as driver/gunner/passenger etc.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2016 at 12:58 PM, zerocrack01 said:

Then in any mission you open the loadout screen either from your own inventory or from any container.

When you say "from your own inventory" what do you mean? I have a problem I can't get around because as far as I'm aware Outfit Gear requires an ammo crate to work. If you could tell me how to access it without one that would be amazing.

4 hours ago, lionhawk123 said:

When you say "from your own inventory" what do you mean?

He means your own gear, you can access your own inventory without needing an ammo, or weapons crate around.

When ingame do this ---> Press Escape----> controls-----> under common----> inventory (top of the list)

set your key for that, and when you press that key you can access your gear that your player character is wearing and using.

On 11/27/2017 at 12:33 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

He means your own gear, you can access your own inventory without needing an ammo, or weapons crate around.

When ingame do this ---> Press Escape----> controls-----> under common----> inventory (top of the list)

set your key for that, and when you press that key you can access your gear that your player character is wearing and using.

Thanks for the reply, but that's not quite what I was asking. Luckily I managed to "find" the solution (it was actually described on Armaholic how to fix my issue, but the section is so small I read right over it when installing).

• Like 1