TrueCruel_Nobody

Tanoa Lite - a possibility or a total No-Go?

Tanoa LITE  

111 members have voted

1. 1. (Apex owners) Could you live with a LITE version of the Tanoa map which would be free for all, while you have bought Apex? So the community would not be splitted?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • I don't care

If people are whining about the textures in its current guise, then lower res textures for a Tanao Lite version would suck major ass, and the whining would increase tenfold.

Also some people are forgetting, it's still in devbuild, still plenty time to tweak things and make them better.

• Like 3

Different terrain textures = units/vehicles show up differently against it at distance = either handicap or advantage for someone.

• Like 1

For people who haven't bought APEX:

1. Simply enforce Tanoe texture quality and Apex clothing texture quality to very low just like Arma 2 FREE and Arma 2: Reinforcements (BAF/PMC) did.

2. Don't let them crew APEX vehicles just like Helicopters DLC does.

3. Give them annoying popups if they use APEX weapons just like Marksman DLC does.

All systems are in place I don't see how this would be so time consuming for the devs

• Like 1

Although I will buy Apex, I do think that a lite version might be good for

1) not splitting the community

We all know that the ARMA community is already segmented, which both is a curse and a blessing.

Just look at the amount of players who play any of the zombie mods, RPG Life, milsim servers, etc.

Adding another split in these groups, will only make sure that servers die out, and less people will play.

Having a lite version of the Apex content (which allows people to at least SEE and play the content), will make sure that people won't be left behind if they don't want to, or simply can't buy the Apex expansion. This will keep the community closer together and less segmented.

2) more content

Not only the "rich kids" make content for ARMA, and not allowing people to use maps and "hardware" in their missions and addons, means less content overall.

3) potential buyers get more teasing

For all the people who don't want to buy the expansion, but are drawn in missions/server which require Apex, will be "stuck" with lower grahics, not useable content and annoying pop-ups (just like A2:CO ACR Lite, and the A3 DLC's). And this will tease them into buying the expansion, since the know there's good content (and for a bit of money with good graphics and all features).

And don't tell me it's "technically not possible", because it is... The assets already contain multiple resolutions (and a free addon can have even lower ones), and the current DLC's already have all the mechanics in place to lock out players and spam them with pop-ups.

would you buy a ferrari after a test drive if the car provided for test drive would be an uglier version, powered by a fiat 500 engine? wouldn't you simply say: fuck that shit, i'm gonna go with a lambo instead?

Wouldn't you want to test drive a Ferrari before buying it, even when it has the wrong colour, missing leather interior and the V6 instead of the V8?

The game remains the same, the gameplay remains the same, no one will notice except you, and in the end; it's still a $#*$& Ferrari!!! Uh... I meant ARMA.

• Like 1

Although I will buy Apex, I do think that a lite version might be good for

We all know that the ARMA community is already segmented, which both is a curse and a blessing.

Just look at the amount of players who play any of the zombie mods, RPG Life, milsim servers, etc.

Adding another split in these groups, will only make sure that servers die out, and less people will play.

Having a lite version of the Apex content (which allows people to at least SEE and play the content), will make sure that people won't be left behind if they don't want to, or simply can't buy the Apex expansion. This will keep the community closer together and less segmented.

2) more content

Not only the "rich kids" make content for ARMA, and not allowing people to use maps and "hardware" in their missions and addons, means less content overall.

For all the people who don't want to buy the expansion, but are drawn in missions/server which require Apex, will be "stuck" with lower grahics, not useable content and annoying pop-ups (just like A2:CO ACR Lite, and the A3 DLC's). And this will tease them into buying the expansion, since the know there's good content (and for a bit of money with good graphics and all features).

And don't tell me it's "technically not possible", because it is... The assets already contain multiple resolutions (and a free addon can have even lower ones), and the current DLC's already have all the mechanics in place to lock out players and spam them with pop-ups.

Wouldn't you want to test drive a Ferrari before buying it, even when it has the wrong colour, missing leather interior and the V6 instead of the V8?

The game remains the same, the gameplay remains the same, no one will notice except you, and in the end; it's still a $#*$& Ferrari!!! Uh... I meant ARMA.

Nice dude I agree on every point you make!

BIS made it very clear why there won't be any lite stuff.

In short: it takes time to manage that kind of extra branch.

It isn't like the lite stuff would be the same as the main stuff. They need to be updated, managed, QA etc. separately.

For people who haven't bought APEX:

1. Simply enforce Tanoe texture quality and Apex clothing texture quality to very low just like Arma 2 FREE and Arma 2: Reinforcements (BAF/PMC) did.

So exactly what Bohemia refused to do for the other Arma 3 DLCs?
's a dev laying out their thinking.
  • Like 1

BI gotta finance itself to keep development alive, so no.

• Like 1

There's absolutely no valid reason to do so, so no. That's a whole expansion, not a little dlc. People just have to buy it, period.

• Like 1

I can't reply anything but okay.

so you just lost all the arguments but you still consider that that there should be a lite version nonetheless? pretty pointless, don't you think?

Adding another split? really? so another drop into an ocean...the solution is not to give shit out for free, the solution is a better implementation between server side mods and client side, that would solve more than giving some half assed thing for free

does any other game developer allows previewing the game before buying it?

2) more content

no one disallowed anyone anything. they just need to have the content. the content you get when you buy something.

if i follow that logic, then why not allow other people that don't even either ArmA3 or Apex to create content...?i am sure that if BI would be less of a business and more of a charity of sorts, more people would put out content, not just the "rich kids" (rich kids, really? it's 25EUs for fucks sake...) 

I already told you BI will NOT go back to "lite" versions because it looks shit on them

good grief...go back to school, can't be bothered to explain to you what a resolution is...

very true, but that will still be possible (minus tanoa) using the Virtual Arsenal.

in any case, the so called "lite version" is not just gonna be a version with a less powerfull engine and just the wrong color, it's gonna be (judging by A2 DLCs) similar to this:

http://en.superbastardo.com/misc/superbastardo/img/f/35686-ferrari_wannabe1215690019.jpg

an maybe that works for weapons and vehicles, but surely doesn't work on an island.

to conclude: you just listed arguments that put the player in the center. I asked why would BI do that, since they have NOTHING to gain out of it (yes, some cheap or rock broke players might)

• Like 3

Well, Im not a guy to hide what I see and also I am not guy to have afraid of the consequences.

But in this case, c'mon.

What the  hell are a the few bucks requested for the update? Arguing against it is just insane.

This game is still a bargain when you compare with most games out there (and we cant really compare because nothing compares to ARMA).

Stop crying, you can consider yourself a freakin lucky basturd because you are getting all this pratically free of charge.

You can argue about performance, you can argue about visuals, you can argue about sound, but you cant argue about the price. Its a freakn bargain.

I request this thread to be closed.

• Like 2

There's absolutely no valid reason to do so, so no. That's a whole expansion, not a little dlc. People just have to buy it, period.

Okay mate, chill.

so you just lost all the arguments but you still consider that that there should be a lite version nonetheless? pretty pointless, don't you think?

Dude please chill out. This isn't our choice. I just told my opinion and there is no rule that is against people telling their opinion.

• Like 1

Well this thread has certainly run its course, before it descends into flame-baiting and insulting each other. I will close it, BIS have made their choice regarding the expansion. They may change their mind in the future, or not. 

• Like 4