Foxone

We want the openable ramp on the VTOL's back!

Do we what the openable ramp on the VTOL's back  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the openable ramp on the VTOL's back?

Who say this? you? and who are you? a dev or a forum poster?

It's in the official changelog.

I think it's a bad idea to remove it as well-same as not having control of doors in the Ghosthawk etc. I get that there is no animation for entering, but big deal. Same with the ghost hawk-there is not a perfect animation for getting in, but it looks  a lot better when they do it in an open door to just phasing through the metal.

• Like 5

Wish they brought back doors opening and closing when entering Hunters too.

Surely there's no animation available for the proper entry but it looked a lot better

• Like 4

At least with Friday's Dev Build you could still open it via scripting.  We just want the addAction back on the pilot so we don't have to.  No extra functionality, no integration with the ViV system, just let the pilot (and scripts!) animate the ramp opening and closing as it was when we first saw the vehicle and as it is with the infantry version.

• Like 5

At least with Friday's Dev Build you could still open it via scripting.  We just want the addAction back on the pilot so we don't have to.  No extra functionality, no integration with the ViV system, just let the pilot (and scripts!) animate the ramp opening and closing as it was when we first saw the vehicle and as it is with the infantry version.

I totally agree!

Wish they brought back doors opening and closing when entering Hunters too.

Surely there's no animation available for the proper entry but it looked a lot better

I know right, I remember that, for the briefest time, they implemented a get in/out with door animations.

When they removed it, they told us we'd see them put back in the future...

To this day I'm still waiting...

Ifrit:

• Like 4

Still waiting... meanwhile RHS and VTN are making progress on awesome stuff like this and MUCH more. For free. Without access to engine...

the feature for this door is there... they just disabled the animationcall for vanilla stuff at configlevel. Reason supposedly was because you can't throw grenades in the vehicle if the door is open... which sounds a bit of a weak reason imo.

• Like 3

Still waiting... meanwhile RHS and VTN are making progress on awesome stuff like this and MUCH more. For free. Without access to engine...

After trying out RHS again a few days ago. Their vehicle in vehicle system is in every way, better when compared to the one BI is making. Which made me really disappointed with BI, and at first i thought they did a nice job.

Could we just get a scripting command or a module that would opt-in per-se with vehicle doors?

Keep as it currently is unless the vehicle init has a command like "EnableDoors True" or something similar? At least as a place holder until a final decision is made?

After trying out RHS again a few days ago. Their vehicle in vehicle system is in every way, better when compared to the one BI is making. Which made me really disappointed with BI, and at first i thought they did a nice job.

RHS (and others) has vehicles with animated doors because BIS made the tech in the first place... I mean, just look at that Ifrit video just above your post.

They most likely stumbled upon serious issues invalidating the whole concept from their perspective, but the feature is still there for us, because of them. ;)

They most likely stumbled upon serious issues invalidating the whole concept from their perspective, but the feature is still there for us, because of them. ;)

... let me guess, it was AI?

I have no idea, I wasn't playing much back in Alpha. ^^

My bet is on that, or some collisions issues.

I seem to remember someone pointed out you couldn't throw grenades into open vehicle doors and BIS pulled the feature shortly afterwards (perhaps there were other reasons as well).

Maybe door collisions with environment.

the feature for this door is there... they just disabled the animationcall for vanilla stuff at configlevel. Reason supposedly was because you can't throw grenades in the vehicle if the door is open... which sounds a bit of a weak reason imo.

The real reason would have been time, or not enough of it to be exact.

BIS would have realised the mammoth task of adding this to every single vehicle and realised it was a folly (at the time anyway) to do it and get it done for A3's release.

They would probably have been looking into enter and exit animations as well no doubt, ToH was just released at the time and had them and I envisage they would have liked to do the same for ARMA.

The problem being not just individual animation per vehicle, but to be realistic there would be individual animations per seat position per vehicle, a lot of work.

There would have been no time so they disabled the few they had already completed, that way there would at least be parity across the board of all the vehicles.

Back to subject at hand, as long as the rear ramps remains operable via script for mission makers or just some of us who like to doss about and retrofit it as an addaction later I would be happy.

I voted no.

I don't want it till they can't make slide in, slide out animations and the collision with the ramp. I think it's more immersion breaker if the vehicle get inside the opened ramp without collision.

Edit: The best would be to drive in and Action menu->"Secure". But they don't have the technology yet.

it would be cool if you could open the ramp in flight (for immersion) - where this issue does not matter. When you fly below certain speed it could automatically close. At the very least have the ramp open before dropping the vehicles...

• Like 1

Is it just me or did my Xian actually have the ramp action back yesterday?

Not flown it much, but during a doss about yesterday the ramp was there to play with while I was in the gunner seat.

Is it just me or did my Xian actually have the ramp action back yesterday?

Not flown it much, but during a doss about yesterday the ramp was there to play with while I was in the gunner seat.

It's only disabled on the vehicle transport variant, on the others it still works.

I also voted no. There are other major things to do than dealing with the collision from the ramp. If the vehicles get teleported anyway in, no need for the ramp to be open :P but if you want it badly to have it, mission makers can add them with a simple addAction.

WIth APEX at the doorstep, BI sadly still hasn't given us a clear reason why they removed the ramp feature other than that they could make it "look good"

• Like 1

WIth APEX at the doorstep, BI sadly still hasn't given us a clear reason why they removed the ramp feature other than that they could make it "look good"

They said it was because people were expecting to drive up and into the plane. They said they removed it after a lot of people complained about that

They said it was because people were expecting to drive up and into the plane. They said they removed it after a lot of people complained about that

It's not the first time, they remove Animations without a really important reason. Mods like RHS have Animations on Vehciles which are only for Immersion and most people like it. Bohemia remove Animations and tells, that a lot of people complained about that, because they was try to drive into it maybe. But why they wasn't made a real Poll, if they should remove a feature / animation like this? A lot of people are no real number, a lot of people can be 3 to X People,

So when we only take this small Thread with it's poll we have at the time i was write my Answare this

175 Yes - We want the Animations

12 No - We don't want / need the Animations

So i can say on this Thrad, a lot of people want the Animation back and a lot people don't want it back. But the Numbers say that more people want it back.

It's not the first time, they remove Animations without a really important reason. Mods like RHS have Animations on Vehciles which are only for Immersion and most people like it. Bohemia remove Animations and tells, that a lot of people complained about that, because they was try to drive into it maybe. But why they wasn't made a real Poll, if they should remove a feature / animation like this? A lot of people are no real number, a lot of people can be 3 to X People,

So when we only take this small Thread with it's poll we have at the time i was write my Answare this

175 Yes - We want the Animations

12 No - We don't want / need the Animations

So i can say on this Thrad, a lot of people want the Animation back and a lot people don't want it back. But the Numbers say that more people want it back.

They can't put up a reliable poll were it will touch most of the ARMA community. Not every ARMA player visits the forums, not every ARMA player browses /R/Arma, not every ARMA player looks at the SITREPS. RHS may have animations yeah, but that's because they are a mod, not a commercial product. BI Removed the animations for ONLY THE CARGO VARIANT of the planes because people were expecting to be able to drive/run up the ramp. When people saw they couldn't do that they got upset and asked BI about it. BI responded by removing that functionality. BI aren't stupid, the devs do realize 175 (not a lot BTW) people want it back. But 175 is a drop in the bucket to how many were possibly complaining. They have a good reason to remove things, and they can't put a poll up every single time a small negligible feature gets removed