KoalaDSK

Mi-290 Taru - Interchangeable Pods

Mi-290 Taru - Interchangeable Pods  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do we really need interchangeable pods for the Mi-290 Taru?

• Yes, of course. Give that idling Loadmaster (and the rest of the crew) a job.
    • No, I like how it is. The possibility of sling loading the pods is enough.

Hello developers and community,

since June 14th '16  we have that new Vehicle in Vehicle Transport feature (in the development branch) and because of that I want to give it a try to revive an old topic.

With the Helicopters DLC (2014) we received the Mi-290 Taru for the CSAT and the brilliant Sling Loading feature for all types of choppers.

Many people (me either) really got excited and we had these interchangeable pod function for the Mi-290 Taru in our minds. We thought about some logistical enhancement to prepare and collect an ammo pod with the Mi-290 Taru and drop it off near our troops in the battlefield. Same with the mobile medical pod, the open and closed troops pod etc.

But it never happens: The argument was "[...] a limitation of the engine that is too complicated to overcome. [...]"

To compensate the lack of interchangeable pod functions we received eight different types of the Mi-290 Taru (Ammo, Bench, Cargo, Fuel, Medical, Repair, Transport and the naked variant without any pod) with static pods. The problem is, if you want to drop off a medical pod, you have to leave the whole chopper in the area.

Some guys would now say: "Hey you just can sling load these pods, stop whining around." But there is a difference of sling loading an object or to have directly connected it to the Mi-290 Taru. The magic word simply is "inertia". Just try to figure out the difference of flying the Mi-290 Taru (Ammo) or flying the Mi-290 with a sling loaded Taru Ammo Pod, especially if you have to fly sharp turns or if you want to fast land these choppers.

I want to come straight to the point:

If it is able to transport vehicles in other vehicles, wouldn't it be possible to see a proper transporting of objects like the Taru Pods too?

I am imagine following scenario:

- fly with the Mi-290 Taru above a pod
- sling load that pod
- pull up that pod, so the pod gets directly connected to the Mi-290 Taru (yes loadmaster, I am looking directly in your face)
- fly to your destination and land or hover above the target area
- release and lower that pod from the Mi-290 Taru
- disconnect the sling load strings from the pod
- fly back to base to prepare a new pod for the transport.

Feel free to discuss this topic.

• Like 15

One dev comment on the matter:

Q: "Does this system in someway support or could it be used for things like actually attaching the Taru modules/pods to the helicopter itself, so that it behaves like the models with the pods already attached? As far as I know, there is no proper way to do this as of now, apart from sling loading."

We have not explored that vector ourselves yet. Theoretically there are indeed similarities between those situations (especially if the pods are configured as static vehicles). But this is diving too deep for my own knowledge of the implementation, so we'll need to get one of our splendid Encoders in here. To be clear: it will not be used for Taru pods in Apex.

https://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/4o2ety/oh_bi_what_have_you_done/d4979w4

• Like 1

I support that request. It'd make the Taru a lot more flexible. Ideally, AI would be able to pull that off, to enable the feature to be used in SP. While slinging a pod does work, it's a bit hair-raising insertion procedure, especially if you're the one dangling a few hundred meters above the ground on a tiny bench, attached to the helo only by a long, wobbly sling. :) Since some Taru pods are static vehicles already, this should definitely be taken into consideration.

• Like 1

Big +1, hope this will be AI compatible aswell :D

Wrote my own script for doing this, but an engine solution would hopefully solve many desync and weird issues.

This is absolutely something that's needed, if only for the sake of having the Taru be somewhat useful.

• Like 1

Or using Taru pods as vehicles which can be "loaded" on the base Taru, using the new ViV feature.

IRL you would push the pod via airfield logistics to a Taru, then attach it and take off. But a sling>pull>connect procedure would be the most feasable game-vise.

Anyway big +1 for exploring this feature.

That Xeno mod seems pretty great.

The problem with it was (or still is) that it disables the simulation of units inside those pods. I.e. if you use that mod to sling-load and attach a transport pod full of troops, which works fine, features like FFV won't be available to said units in cargo. Even worse, due to the disabled simulation, not even the camera can be moved. So as a player, you're basically trapped inside the pod with nothing to do until the pilot releases it again.

Everyone do know there is a mod for this also? (havent tested myself)

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/176049-xeno-taru-pod-mod/

Of course a vanilla implementation would be the best solution, but until then...

I have to admit I am not a big fan of modifications.

That Xeno mod seems pretty great.

The problem with it was (or still is) that it disables the simulation of units inside those pods. I.e. if you use that mod to sling-load and attach a transport pod full of troops, which works fine, features like FFV won't be available to said units in cargo. Even worse, due to the disabled simulation, not even the camera can be moved. So as a player, you're basically trapped inside the pod with nothing to do until the pilot releases it again.

Because of that I am asking for a vanilla implementation.

The Taru transport pod is basically a shipping container with a single ramp at one end.  Only the end guys would be able to FFV out of it and if they took fire that's just drawing bullets into a confined metal lined kill box full of dudes.  You'd prefer that over just sitting quietly till you're dropped off?  The bench one is even worse, you're basically just a hanging target! :)

Tried this one out?  Doesn't seem to disable simulation anywhere.  https://github.com/Halvhjearne/taru-pods

The Taru transport pod is basically a shipping container with a single ramp at one end.  Only the end guys would be able to FFV out of it and if they took fire that's just drawing bullets into a confined metal lined kill box full of dudes.  You'd prefer that over just sitting quietly till you're dropped off?  The bench one is even worse, you're basically just a hanging target! :)

Tried this one out?  Doesn't seem to disable simulation anywhere.  https://github.com/Halvhjearne/taru-pods

Sorry, I was thinking about the bench when I wrote transport pod. While the FFV effectiness is certainly debatable, not being able to turn the camera at all when sitting in that pod is a major downside. And I don't think simulation was explicitely disabled by the mod author but instead being in cargo of an object that is attached to another object caused that behaviour. Though my tests with that particular mod were months ago so my memories might be outdated or downright wrong.

What bugs me though about both the original sling-loading and now vehicle-loading mechanics is the fact that BI just ignored major use cases here. In case of the Taru it is switching out pods during missions which is basically the obvious mechanic that particular vehicle should provide. Being a logistics helicopter, the Taru is of very limited use anyway, but the lack of that mechanic boggles my mind. And for the VTOL (going off-topic here), being able to load both troops and vehicles into the same vehicle is an obvious application of such a system which was again dismissed by BI. Without knowing the engine limitations too well, this sounds pretty much like half-assed solutions being applied.

Anyway, I'd love to see improvements to both systems which allow for that flexibility to interchange pods mid-mission. Less scripting / hot-swapping of vehicles required.

I'm not sure about the sling load step

irl it will cause alot of stress on rope system during lift up

I found it not very hard to land over it, or in case of a good surface just roll back a bit (the tail is downwards pointed tho, u have to land not very far)

I'm not sure about the sling load step

irl it will cause alot of stress on rope system during lift up

I found it not very hard to land over it, or in case of a good surface just roll back a bit (the tail is downwards pointed tho, u have to land not very far)

I will second that idea. The sling loading step (flying above the target) should not be the only method to connect the pods with the Mi-290 Taru.

By the way, I have inserted a poll into my thread. Feel free to give a vote.

I'm still disappointed that this still hasn't been addressed in 4+ years. I was toying with Xeno's mod, detached and safely skidded a manned Taru bench pod down a runway at 200+kph. That's a significant gameplay mechanic for a forced entry scenario. I'd love to see the CSAT faction have this to balance various NATO gameplay advantages.  I'll wait to see what Arma 3 2.0 will bring to the table.