aluc4rd

Vehicle in Vehicle Transport Feedback

dont have em , and your looking into it is much appreciated thank you ;) ( if it helps my dev build is : 1.63.136975 )

and i have another question : is it intended that you can't load the speedboats in to the blackfish ? and would it be possible to put 10 person cargo spots in the vehicle transport version ? would make it more easy for mission makers and add to realism ;)

yeah im having the same problem with the waypoints, cant find them either i thought it was just me. Again any chance of seeing a parachute/ paradrop waypoint? 

Could There be an animation for loading in vehicles for the people in the vehicle being loaded? Similar to getting into a hellcat or something like

and i have another question : is it intended that you can't load the speedboats in to the blackfish ? and would it be possible to put 10 person cargo spots in the vehicle transport version ? would make it more easy for mission makers and add to realism ;)

Yes, because of dimensions - speedboat is too high, wide and even long. You can try it in editor and see it clips a lot. Other thing is that in reality it could be kinda complicated to load this type of boat into vehicle - sling loading seems like a better variant of transporation (and you can sling load speedboats with Huron and Taru).

Ad cargo positions - for our VTOLs we decided to have separate personal and vehical transport variants so you can maximum amount of soldiers/vehicle inside and any changes to models are not reasonable at this point.     

Again any chance of seeing a parachute/ paradrop waypoint? 

If you place VEHICLE GET OUT waypoint (after we fix its visibility issues) in air, it works as a paradrop waypoint.

Could There be an animation for loading in vehicles for the people in the vehicle being loaded? Similar to getting into a hellcat or something like

If you mean loading animations like vehicle driving in/out of cargo space, we tried it but it looked really bad and there was a lot of related issues. :(

If you place VEHICLE GET OUT waypoint (after we fix its visibility issues) in air, it works as a paradrop waypoint.

does this also work with infantry ? with the get out ir transport unload WP ?

Yes, because of dimensions - speedboat is too high, wide and even long. You can try it in editor and see it clips a lot. Other thing is that in reality it could be kinda complicated to load this type of boat into vehicle - sling loading seems like a better variant of transporation (and you can sling load speedboats with Huron and Taru).

Ad cargo positions - for our VTOLs we decided to have separate personal and vehical transport variants so you can maximum amount of soldiers/vehicle inside and any changes to models are not reasonable at this point.     

If you place VEHICLE GET OUT waypoint (after we fix its visibility issues) in air, it works as a paradrop waypoint. - so if you don't want a paradrop you first have to land then add another waypoint to do the vehicle get out ? out of interest why not simply have it use the exiting transport unload waypoint ? I think there should be a dedicated paradrop waypoint type for troops and now vehicles and hopefully cargo (ammo etc) in future.

If you mean loading animations like vehicle driving in/out of cargo space, we tried it but it looked really bad and there was a lot of related issues. :(

After finally trying out the vehicle in vehicle system all i can say is "I love it". Granted it needs some extra work, like I should be able to load in groups of quad bikes. Thus eject like a pallet or something that has 4 quadbikes on it. Also the ability to load in boats, which granted getting the in might be tricky. But for starting a mission and such, would be a great thing to have. Also crate loading needs to be a thing, because we do that that netted crate that looks like it was air dropped.

Now needs animated or some visual, like the cargo doors have to be opened for it to load and unload cargo. And performance doesn't seem to be effected at all, or maybe the aircraft are just that powerful engine wise carrying these vehicles doesn't effect them much.

also would it be possible to load the vehicles facing what would be the ramp so that when we unload  they are facing as though they have just driven down the ramp the right way as they would in real life (ie vehicle has been reversed on). I think the unload vehicle command should open the ramp and then place the vehicle at the bottom of it, if the animations are too complex to do.

I have also noticed that the AI pilots seem to have a lot of wing wobble on take off - build 1.63.137060 (only tried transport so far of the blackfish) and when trying to transport and land on tanoa the aircraft piloted by AI, the AI seems to struggle to land at tuvanaka airport, flys past it, then goes into vtol mode, attempts to circle back towards the airfield, then seems to dive near the mountain and always seems to crash on or around the mountain. Even on altis landing at the AAC airfield it took ages to actually land it, circling round - all waypoints where at default settings.

I can confirm that I also don't have "Vehicle Get In" and "Vehicle Get Out" waypoints. Moreover, I found that the AI doesn't react when I try to order (in-game) it to load up onto the Blackfish.

One issue I have noticed on our server:

People have no way of knowing what is currently being transported in the VTOL.

With openable ramp we can see, otherwise we have to either just know, or guess, or headglitch into the side.

Perhaps we could get a quick fade to black and fade in with the vehicle boarding? Could soften the 'teleporting' feel :) At least for the player!

• Like 1

Perhaps we could get a quick fade to black and fade in with the vehicle boarding? Could soften the 'teleporting' feel :) At least for the player!

This was brought up earlier in the thread and was countered with the locality of the fade - the person only? whole server? nearby units?

Vehicle occupants only. In that regard it would work a lot like units embarking and disembarking. Vehicle embarking and disembarking works (from the player side) much like analogous actions for units, so it makes sense for them to share solutions. Also, internal consistency is always good.

• Like 3

Any news about having animated ramps in the loading/unloading sequence?

Any news about having animated ramps in the loading/unloading sequence?

They've confirmed that won't happen.  

You can fake it with scripts though.  I just wish they'd restore the action on the vehicle to animate it to save us the trouble.

• Like 1

I remember them saying they'd provide the code for us to add that to community made content though, am i remembering wrong?

Was the action removed again? I could swear it was possible to operate the ramps a few days ago...

Would that be possible to make VTOLs and helos optionally ignore landing pads? I had a vision of a mission where 4 Blackfish VTOLs approach the Stratis airfield, skimming the sea, then touch down on the runway and unload a huge amount of troops directly into battle. The way it turned out, the VTOLs circled around a few times, then crashed into each other trying to land on the two dinky landing zones. :) The "Land" waypoint should have a field allowing you to specify whether the VTOL or a helo should use the runway (yes, helicopters can do it, too! In fact, a fully loaded Hind gunship requires it), the landing zones or land precisely at the waypoint. I moved the scene near Kamino and they managed to land... eventually. Hurons pulled off the scenario (at Kamino, I suspect helipads would've screwed them over as well) with much less problems.

Also, VTOLs still make a huge fuss on approach. Instead of slowing down when approaching the LZ and then landing like a helo, they overshoot, circle around a few times, then come in from a random direction (assuming the manage not to crash or get blasted in the meantime).

EDIT: Looks like there's an invisible landing pad marker that improves the situation. It doesn't help with the circling, but it does make the landing more precise. Let's see if we can avoid the pileup now...

• Like 1

I remember them saying they'd provide the code for us to add that to community made content though, am i remembering wrong?

You can use this documentation to add ViV to community projects.  Some vehicles such as the X-130 or whatever it is you can put the ramp down and at least walk up it, up to players to get it working as well as they can since they aren't bound by the need to have it A) look good and B) work with AI like BIS is.

Was the action removed again? I could swear it was possible to operate the ramps a few days ago...

It's remained available on the infantry version but was removed from the transport version, because reasons.

Just an update, in the latest dev branch update I still don't have "Vehicle Get In" and "Vehicle Get Out" waypoints. I should probably specify that I'm not an Apex owner, but since this is an engine feature, not content (I am very involved in testing Apex content, though, despite the inconveniences), I should have those available.

yeah i still dont have those WPs  either hopefully todays build will.

They've confirmed that won't happen.  

You can fake it with scripts though.  I just wish they'd restore the action on the vehicle to animate it to save us the trouble.

Its still a shame, this would be nice for all vehicles that have animated doors, or at least make an "animate vehicle doors/ramps" that mission makers can use. 

Would that be possible to make VTOLs and helos optionally ignore landing pads? I had a vision of a mission where 4 Blackfish VTOLs approach the Stratis airfield, skimming the sea, then touch down on the runway and unload a huge amount of troops directly into battle. The way it turned out, the VTOLs circled around a few times, then crashed into each other trying to land on the two dinky landing zones. :) The "Land" waypoint should have a field allowing you to specify whether the VTOL or a helo should use the runway (yes, helicopters can do it, too! In fact, a fully loaded Hind gunship requires it), the landing zones or land precisely at the waypoint. I moved the scene near Kamino and they managed to land... eventually. Hurons pulled off the scenario (at Kamino, I suspect helipads would've screwed them over as well) with much less problems.

Also, VTOLs still make a huge fuss on approach. Instead of slowing down when approaching the LZ and then landing like a helo, they overshoot, circle around a few times, then come in from a random direction (assuming the manage not to crash or get blasted in the meantime).

EDIT: Looks like there's an invisible landing pad marker that improves the situation. It doesn't help with the circling, but it does make the landing more precise. Let's see if we can avoid the pileup now... 

I think that All the helis overfly the LZ then circle round before landing, i find setting a WP a few hundred meters from LZ with "limited speed" set, and the invisible helipad at LZ helps somewhat but not helpful in hot LZ's. Unfortunately the AI pilots need to learn how to flare the helis properly and not shoot 200m into the air trying to slow and land, i constantly watch AI get shot out of the sky because of this. The blackfish come in way to fast and need to learn to bleed their speed quicker or sooner before they land. They also need to take their altitude from sea level not ground, watching the damn planes wobble around like a drunks flying is making the AI look and act stupider, in some places the planes/vtols bounce so much the AI gunners cant keep track of their targets let alone hit them. I could kind of understand it if you were going for a Nap of the Earth type of thing for the planes/helis but generally i think this hinders the AI flight ability  alot.

No, helos don't do that. At least in my test scenarios, the Huron did not overshoot. Indeed, aside form they fact they insist on transitioning into a hover and landing instead of coming in fast and flaring, my test scenario worked fine with the Hurons. You just need to give them a long enough approach (about 1km) and a clear LZ. Of course, in a hot LZ they will still get clobbered on approach, but the problem with Blackfish is when the LZ isn't hot, but some place in 500m radius of it is. 

The problem with the altitude from sea level is that if they did that, they'd probably fly into the ground too often. It's a though choice, really. I think the default behavior is fine as-is (the default altitude is 100m), but it should be possible to turn that off for high altitude flight.

Also, I don't know what constitutes "today" for you (I'm in the GMT+1 zone, for the record), but the waypoints are missing in the build I got today, just a few hours ago.