aluc4rd

Vehicle in Vehicle Transport Feedback

can this tech be made so that crates/items can be carried in trucks and utilities aswell, or even in helos with no cabin seats?

just seen todays update ... please revert the decision about the ramps. whilst not a game breaker definitely an immersion killer. i understand that animations for loading/unloading have influenced this decision but it just feels wrong this way. it would feel a bit more immersive if it was tied to ramps being open/closed. and if the problem of performance arises why not add a module(s)to disable vehicles door anims so mission makes can use this to optimize their missions

Can we get event handlers for VIVT?

Preferably both for the carrying aircraft and the vehicles on board (similar to GetIn and GetInMan).

I've really enjoyed the vehicle in vehicle (ViV) feature so far :P

After testing it out I created a few ViV specific feedback tickets that hopefully you guys could consider adding/changing to help improve the feature.

I don't suppose the new ViV feature would be possible for Taru pods for the mi-290?
  • Like 2

I have posted it on the feedback tracker already but I write it here again:

If you load a car and then a quad into the Blackfish and eject them in the air, then the hunter gets ejected first which looks really weird if you know that the quad should be first in line. 

(it shows the 3 issues which I recorded for the feedback tracker, but in this thread the second one matters)

Edit:

Okay, nevermind the video. Looks like it was already fixed :)

Something is still unclear to me.

Is the bounding box only used to calculate the space taken by each vehicle, or does it have to be referenced against, say, geometries?

As in, if my memory-point defined bounding box is smaller than the actual dimension of the vehicle, am i going to have a bad time when loading stuff (like vehicles getting damaged and such), or collisions don't apply to loaded vehicles?

I'm asking this because for example there are some vehicles that have pintle mounted machineguns, but in reality when these vehicles are loaded the MGs get removed so they can fit in the back of, for example, a chinook. Since this is not really convenient to do in Arma, can i just cheat and make the bounding box shorter or am i going to make everything assplode?

Same question applies to length and width, is some clipping allowed or am i going to see bad things happen?

Same question applies to length and width, is some clipping allowed or am i going to see bad things happen?

Here's the documentation for the system.  Not a lot of detail other than "we just care about the bounding box".

• Like 1

I've already checked that, and it doesn't answer my question unfortunately. :P

Something is still unclear to me.

Is the bounding box only used to calculate the space taken by each vehicle, or does it have to be referenced against, say, geometries?

As in, if my memory-point defined bounding box is smaller than the actual dimension of the vehicle, am i going to have a bad time when loading stuff (like vehicles getting damaged and such), or collisions don't apply to loaded vehicles?

I'm asking this because for example there are some vehicles that have pintle mounted machineguns, but in reality when these vehicles are loaded the MGs get removed so they can fit in the back of, for example, a chinook. Since this is not really convenient to do in Arma, can i just cheat and make the bounding box shorter or am i going to make everything assplode?

Yes, in this case is clipping allowed and transport vehicle shouldn't explode. We are experimenting with tech for hiding parts of transported vehicles, but not sure if it will be ready for Apex - there are some complications. :(     

• Like 3

Yes, in this case is clipping allowed and transport vehicle shouldn't explode. We are experimenting with tech for hiding parts of transported vehicles, but not sure if it will be ready for Apex - there are some complications. :(     

Good enough for me. :wub:

Haven't tested it, but would it be possible to load ammo boxes?

• Like 1

None of these will load for me: ammoboxes, vehicle ammo and supply crates.

Ramps is a very interesting topic.

Of course everyone wants ramps to work. But there's a small problem, if ramps can be opened people WILL try to go inside or driver inside (which is a normal response to a visual clue of an opened cargo bay) which will cause damage to both vehicles.

Some mods made driving inside of a vehicle possible, it works most of the time, but it's not 100% reliable and can cause a great disaster too.

I vote for stability, whatever makes it less prone to explosion is better. Inconsistent workarounds always cause unpredictable results.

Maybe allow ramps opening only in the air just for the visual effect and close when landing.

Ramps is a very interesting topic.

Of course everyone wants ramps to work. But there's a small problem, if ramps can be opened people WILL try to go inside or driver inside (which is a normal response to a visual clue of an opened cargo bay) which will cause damage to both vehicles.

Some mods made driving inside of a vehicle possible, it works most of the time, but it's not 100% reliable and can cause a great disaster too.

I vote for stability, whatever makes it less prone to explosion is better. Inconsistent workarounds always cause unpredictable results.

Maybe allow ramps opening only in the air just for the visual effect and close when landing.

I have to agree stability is more important, but visual improvements and ques should be added. So one the system works without a problem or nothing really bad occuring then focus on ramps and all that.

• Like 1

I think that it should be possible to simply drive onto the ramp until the "load vehicle" icon appears, then you just press MMB and you're in. It seems to be the most sensible way of doing this. Alternatively, make an uncontrolled animation (in a similar vein to "get in" and "get out" animations for infantry, though obviously it'd be a whole new system) showing the vehicle driving in. This would be the most immersive solution, but also rather though to implement.

I think that it should be possible to simply drive onto the ramp until the "load vehicle" icon appears, then you just press MMB and you're in. It seems to be the most sensible way of doing this. Alternatively, make an uncontrolled animation (in a similar vein to "get in" and "get out" animations for infantry, though obviously it'd be a whole new system) showing the vehicle driving in. This would be the most immersive solution, but also rather though to implement.

Ramp is not a physical model, getting that close is gunna clip and "break immersion"

• Like 2

It's not impossible (I think) to make a ramp be an actual physical model. It's been done by various community models. Standing on it while the vehicle is in motion isn't a very good idea, but it's not supposed to be stood on anyway (the way VTOLs currently work, you'll simply fall off on takeoff).

• Like 1

Place Y-32 Xi'an

Place Qilin (Armed) to Cargo in Heli

Start Mission as Pilot Y-32

Set order Gunner to Drop Vehicle

Crash game...

I'm back to pester you with more questions. :ph34r:

Would it be possible to define more than one cargo bay on a carrier vehicle?

Let's say we have a big vehicle that should be able to load stuff on three separate locations, each with its own get in/out position, would this be possible or the game only supports cargo load for a single location?

Nope, it works only with vehicles. 

on the waypoints : i cant find them or are they an "extension" to the getin /get out WPs ?

There should be 2 waypoints called:

VEHICLE GET IN

VEHICLE GET OUT

I'm back to pester you with more questions. :ph34r:

Would it be possible to define more than one cargo bay on a carrier vehicle?

Let's say we have a big vehicle that should be able to load stuff on three separate locations, each with its own get in/out position, would this be possible or the game only supports cargo load for a single location?

Yes, there a parameter for transport vehicles:

exits[] = {"VTV_exit_1", "VTV_exit_2"}; // Memory points in model defining loading ramps, could have multiple

See the documentation.

• Like 1

Yes, there a parameter for transport vehicles:

exits[] = {"VTV_exit_1", "VTV_exit_2"}; // Memory points in model defining loading ramps, could have multiple

See the documentation.

What i'm asking is, is it possible to define more than one cargo space?

For example, this frigate should be able of loading three different vehicles in three different locations:

http://imgur.com/a/o5Jtj

A helicopter in the internal hangar on the rear, and one RHIB/Assault Craft on each side where the cranes are located.

Is this possible or the cargo space is limited to a single one per vehicle?

• Like 1

Nope, it works only with vehicles. 

There should be 2 waypoints called:

VEHICLE GET IN

VEHICLE GET OUT

there arent :-( or do they only appear when you select the right vehicle ?

What i'm asking is, is it possible to define more than one cargo space?

For example, this frigate should be able of loading three different vehicles in three different locations:

A helicopter in the internal hangar on the rear, and one RHIB/Assault Craft on each side where the cranes are located.

Is this possible or the cargo space is limited to a single one per vehicle?

Oh, my bad. I'm afraid only one cargo space per transport vehicle is possible. :( We already have some ideas how to expand this feature post Apex, but no promises for now.

there arent :-( or do they only appear when you select the right vehicle ?

Nope,  should be normally visible in editor like this.

I'll try to check what the issue could be.

• Like 3