aluc4rd

Vehicle in Vehicle Transport Feedback

Hello!

we deployed Vehicle in Vehicle Transport functionality to development branch. In short:

·         you can transport various vehicles with both new VTOLs: Y-32 Xi'an and V-44 X Blackfish (in future some existing official vehicles could be tweaked for this functionality, but probably after APEX)

·         functionality is similar to embarking crew, so just drive near ramp and if vehicle can fit in, new action Load vehicle should be visible in action menu

·         in editor you can simply load/unload vehicle with drag&drop

·         we also added 2 new waypoints: VEHICLE GET IN (for transported vehicles) and VEHICLE GET OUT (for transport vehicle)

·         you can also order AIs to Load/Drop vehicle via context menu - once again, we wanted to be consistent with behavior of similar features (crew embarkation, sling loading...)

·         if you unload vehicles in air, they should be dropped on parachute (but transport must be in specified height so parachutes can open successfully)

·         there is also new indication icon in vehicle info tab with 3 states - 1.) cargo space in transport vehicle is empty 2.) there is vehicle(s) in cargo space and 3.) you can't unload vehicle(s) (for example you can't drop vehicles if VTOL is upside down)

Please be so kind and share with us your experience! We are grateful for all for your valuable, constructive and civil feedback. 

Just a note, functionality is still work in progress, but except for fixes and tweaks fundamental behavior won't be changed. We noticed some of you were expecting more immersive solution (driving in/out) and indeed we researched multiple approaches, but they led to overwhelming amount issues which couldn't be solved with given engine restrictions, resources and time. Please take in mind, that our functionality should be available for AI, commanding, waypoints, multiplayer, Eden Editor, Zeus and mods. This is why we settled on current implementation.

Oh, you can also check documentation on wiki with general overview and new parameters. There are still missing new scripting commands but they will be added soon.

Scripting commands related to functionality:

canVehicleCargo

enableVehicleCargo

getVehicleCargo

isVehicleCargo

setVehicleCargo

vehicleCargoEnabled

• Like 11

Is there also a possibility to unload vehicles by script ?

Issues that I had, as far as I remember :

- issue when parachuting a vehicle from a VTOL at low speed (wings raised), parachutes are blocked by the end of the VTOL

- it's possible to unload a vehicle from a VTOL without removing vehicles which are being it (and which should be unload before, to free the access to ramp).

A few things I have to criticize:

-You are able to load in vehicles through the closed ramps.

-You can unload/drop off vehicles through the closed ramps.

-You can't select a specific vehicle to unload (for now you only are able to unload all).

-It would be great if we could get a proper loading-in-animation for all kind of vehicles.

-Same for the unloading. A proper animation would be splendid.

These are my two cents so far.

• Like 2

I've seen lots of complaints about the "unimmersive" vehicle loading mechanics,

but it's much, much better to have this functionality (& more!) than wait for a magicla solution in Arma 4 with a new core engine (Enfusion, amirite?).

Thanks for clearing up things on all the potential issues and stuff on physics-based veh-in-veh loading. Sure, it'd be cool if you open up the ramp, unlock the ropes, sit on your quadbike and ride out of the plane mid-air.

A man can dream.

Well, the Load in Vehicle could at least play the ramp open animation and take 20 seconds... And why is the ramp even lowerable, if you cannot walk on it?

We did try several drops in a hosted MP game and when unloading the LSV's both the V-44 X Blackfish and the LSV's exploded.

It did work in singelplayer...

I'm excited for this feature simply because mods will make it more immersive. :)

Thanks Bis.

I have loaded the blackfish with the wheeled Nato APC, but i didnt notice any difference in handling. Is the mass of the loaded objects added to the parent vehicle once loaded?

I haven't checked the configs yet, but how do you determine which and how many vehicles can be loaded?

is this only in devbranch or in the preview version as well ?

Yes, it is only available in the development branch.

So please switch to the development branch. I guess the Sneak Peak Preview version was prepared for the PC Gaming Show 2016 to give us players not only the visual informations about the upcoming APEX features ;)

Is there also a possibility to unload vehicles by script ?

You should be able to use setvehiclecargo command in 2 variants for this:

objnull setvehiclecargo cargo vehicle - for unloading specific loaded vehicle

transporting vehicle setVehicleCargo objnul - for unloading all vehicles

Issues that I had, as far as I remember :

- issue when parachuting a vehicle from a VTOL at low speed (wings raised), parachutes are blocked by the end of the VTOL

- it's possible to unload a vehicle from a VTOL without removing vehicles which are being it (and which should be unload before, to free the access to ramp).

- will check it, can probably move exit point a bit

- known issue, should be hopefully fixed soon

A few things I have to criticize:

-You are able to load in vehicles through the closed ramps.

-You can unload/drop off vehicles through the closed ramps.

-You can't select a specific vehicle to unload (for now you only are able to unload all).

-It would be great if we could get a proper loading-in-animation for all kind of vehicles.

-Same for the unloading. A proper animation would be splendid.

These are my two cents so far.

- ramps will be disabled on transport vehicle variants and you will load vehicles through them - similar to crew which is also embarking through closed doors

- we've experimented with animations for loading and unloading vehicles, but couldn't produce anything reasonable - it looked bad and led to another pile of issues 

I have loaded the blackfish with the wheeled Nato APC, but i didnt notice any difference in handling. Is the mass of the loaded objects added to the parent vehicle once loaded?

I haven't checked the configs yet, but how do you determine which and how many vehicles can be loaded?

- yes, mass of loaded vehicles is added to transport vehicle

- in short: in transport vehicle model is cargo space defined by two memory points, bounding box of transported vehicle is compared with this cargo space if can fit in, there is also weight limit defined in config - see documentation for more details

• Like 3

Posted this in the General discussion:

1) In Eden editor, vehicle icons should hide when loaded and far from camera (same system as units in vehicles). Right now you can't drag the blackfish when far from it since you just grab the loaded vehicles instead. Right now you will also sometimes get the "No space in vehicle" warning when dragging around a vehicle containing vehicles. Pretty sure it's related to the other issue.

2) Vehicles are ejected in the wrong order.

- ramps will be disabled on transport vehicle variants

Please don't!  Even if it's non functional for this purpose, having ramps that lower is a great tool for mission making as a backdrop or immersion.  They never worked before but it was still cool being able to see it down and the cargo in the vehicle.

• Like 15

I've got already enough shocked by the actual situation regarding the mainly retextured units and the partly awful satelite textures, which may pleased a nostalgic. I hoped that at least the VTOL's would become awesome in function and Appearance. But as it stands now it doesn't. Please, don't disable the ramps even if they doesn't have any functional effect. A bit immersion effect might be still given.

• Like 2

awesome fun. but please dont disable the ramps. make them open and close on load unload. if you are "magic" loading them at least let us have this little bit of functionality. i've found that the nato ugv's wheels stick out from the under belly of the v 44. can we get a parachute waypoint? i know i can script it but it would make life just that little easier. looks good so far

• Like 1

Please don't!  Even if it's non functional for this purpose, having ramps that lower is a great tool for mission making as a backdrop or immersion.  They never worked before but it was still cool being able to see it down and the cargo in the vehicle.

YES, keep that in, the Huron has it aswell, if that is removed you will ruin so much immersion.

Also, i'd like it to be possible to load Resupply Crates (the ones with the nets that came with the Heli DLC in specific), as this would open even more doors for mission makers.

• Like 2

Today's changelog:

Tweaked: Opening of ramps has been disabled for vehicle transport variants of the VTOLs

I love this immersion breaker. :angry:

You should be able to use setvehiclecargo command in 2 variants for this:

objnull setvehiclecargo cargo vehicle - for unloading specific loaded vehicle

transporting vehicle setVehicleCargo objnul - for unloading all vehicles

Sorry, not Apex-related directly, but would a solution like this work for the Taru-pods also? maybe for a future update?

• Like 1

tbh, I don't really get the change. Why not the reverse- disable Vehicle in Vehicle unless the ramps are open? This at least would make some sense.

What about a "cool down" time between selection of "load/unload" vehicle and the moment when it's actually loaded? For players, it could end up with a black transition in order to make the teleportation more acceptable. It could also automatically open and then close the ramp. For, you know, realism.

What about a "cool down" time between selection of "load/unload" vehicle and the moment when it's actually loaded? 

There's a loading time built into the config.  But from the looks of it you can script what you want.

tbh, I don't really get the change. Why not the reverse- disable Vehicle in Vehicle unless the ramps are open? This at least would make some sense.

+1 Ramps really help with immersion, even if the vehicles are magically tele transported few meters from them. 

• Like 4

... For players, it could end up with a black transition in order to make the teleportation more acceptable. It could also automatically open and then close the ramp. For, you know, realism.

Black transition is impossible- will it be for the player who uses the function? Will it be for all players? Will it be only for players around the plane? What if I am in combat, someone is using the function and I get a black screen? etc..

- ramps will be disabled on transport vehicle variants

Agree 100% with Kylania on this, please don't.

• Like 1

Completely 100% agree, do not remove the option.

Is there actually a reason to do it? It's not a physical object, so it doesn't block anything. All it does is add immersion and look better, i'm baffled as to why you want it removed.