Sign in to follow this  
taro8

[Modded] Sometimes units placed in the editor have ERROR side

I'M USING MODS!

Lately I noticed that, sometimes, when I place a unit or a group in 3D editor they get bugged. Their groupd symbol is brown and when I check saved mission their side is listed as "ERROR". When group gets bugged like this A3 is very likely to crash when you try to change type or copy. When I preview mission with bugged group they all kill each other.

Not group specific, when placing single units (as separate group), they can get bugged too.

Problem happens regardless if player is set is part of the group or not. Sometimes first group with player in it gets bugged, sometimes its units placed later.

Problem never appears in 2D editor.

For one I know it is not "3den enhanced" editor mod's fault. Happens on multiple maps, including Stratis and Altis, so maps may not be a problem either.

I'm using ACE, CUP, C2, MCC and several other mods. I would love to pinpoint the issue, but it doesn't always happen. So, I can't be sure if I disabled the source of the problem, or if the issue just failed to appear.

Don't binarize your mission.sqm file and have a look into it. Amazing!

First, Enhanced 3Den adds 300 + attributes classes (even if not used). But you can have also bad traces of (added/removed) addons which leads to error due to your choice for playing or not with them...

Anybody can write in this file, inflating it and breaking many behaviors, more than 3Den turn. So you have the "official" failures (respawn position, tasks, global commands) + the addon poorly written ones which force you to keep them active if you don't want errors.

In all that jungle, you can still check your units, placed with editor.

Don't binarize your mission.sqm file and have a look into it. Amazing!

First, Enhanced 3Den adds 300 + attributes classes (even if not used). But you can have also bad traces of (added/removed) addons which leads to error due to your choice for playing or not with them...

Anybody can write in this file, inflating it and breaking many behaviors, more than 3Den turn. So you have the "official" failures (respawn position, tasks, global commands) + the addon poorly written ones which force you to keep them active if you don't want errors.

In all that jungle, you can still check your units, placed with editor.

No, its not native to single mission, usually it happened when I just fired up the 3D editor and placed some units. After disabling C2 mod problem seems to not occur anymore, although it may be false positive. I will try to cause the error again and maybe crash Arma and get and RPT log from that.

I had a look into mission.sqm before (deleted it later, damn), the bugged units group side was defined as "ERROR", I could change it manually, but usually it got bugged again when doing stuff in the editor after loading the edited file.

IMHO, BIS should reconsider removing 2D editor, it's at least stable and such problems do not occur.

No, its not native to single mission, usually it happened when I just fired up the 3D editor and placed some units. After disabling C2 mod problem seems to not occur anymore, although it may be false positive. I will try to cause the error again and maybe crash Arma and get and RPT log from that.

I had a look into mission.sqm before (deleted it later, damn), the bugged units group side was defined as "ERROR", I could change it manually, but usually it got bugged again when doing stuff in the editor after loading the edited file.

IMHO, BIS should reconsider removing 2D editor, it's at least stable and such problems do not occur.

But if its a mod issue (which your post at least implies it could be) who is to say similar issues can't be caused with the 2D editor too?

But if its a mod issue (which your post at least implies it could be) who is to say similar issues can't be caused with the 2D editor too?

My guess it's because 2D editor does not load so much stuff when you place units. For me when I have ACE and some other big gameplay mods, the first time you place a unit there is a long pause before Arma starts responding again.