solzenicyn

Apex Gear Feedback

It's a shame that you can't use scopes with the "Viper team" helmet vision modes, but I guess it's inevitable with how BI implemented that...

It is realistic. How could you aim with scopes with thermal vision? You can't even aim with a holographic sight if you have thermals on.

Note that you can't see through glass with thermal vision in real life. Or at least you couldn't see the reticle itself like in the game.

Anyone else attempting to view the new units only to find that when placed (via Eden Editor), they do not reflect the image in the editor preview?  I am talking specifically in reference to the weapon attachments and scopes depicted.

Not a big deal but in the large scheme of things but it would be nice to have it corrected :)

It is realistic. How could you aim with scopes with thermal vision? You can't even aim with a holographic sight if you have thermals on.

Note that you can't see through glass with thermal vision in real life. Or at least you couldn't see the reticle itself like in the game.

NV has no reason for not working, though. With NVGs it does make sense, but not with integrated optics (arguably, the new NVG types may be low profile enough to allow some scopes to be used as well).

Can we please have an attachable IR strobe for infantry without having to use a mod! This is a simple item that has been needed for a long time for night ops.

• Like 2

The thermal imaging cannot detect heat signatures through smoke. I'm currently on DevBranch. Is it supposed to work that way?

The thermal imaging cannot detect heat signatures through smoke. I'm currently on DevBranch. Is it supposed to work that way?

Ya thermals can't look through smoke in game or out. Well IRL they can if it's a very light smoke, but a dense cloud not so much.

Patches on the Gendarmerie get a bright white "aura" around them.

NV has no reason for not working, though. With NVGs it does make sense, but not with integrated optics (arguably, the new NVG types may be low profile enough to allow some scopes to be used as well).

I see the topic was NVG helmet + 2D scopes. My bad

Ya thermals can't look through smoke in game or out. Well IRL they can if it's a very light smoke, but a dense cloud not so much.

I see, so everything is working fine in that regard.^^

The Laserdesignator (Green Hex)

Laserdesignator_02_ghex_F

is missing its inventory picture.

For some reason my AI teammates' (never fired) weapons show up on thermals while mine don't. All units wear TI-masking gear; I'm the one in the front of the boat:

20160703174511_1bvued.jpg

Today I saw that there was something strange about the insignias on the new CTRG uniforms.
When I looked closer I saw that they had a relief of the uniform in them.

mPZLxwR.png

The new OPFOR helmet texture is way more high quality than any other OPFOR gear. Looks especially inconsistent on Viper units as their uniforms texture is bad and helmet texture super nice.

the issue with the glowing edges on insignia really kills my boner

i've tolerated it up to now but i can't suppress them on the thermal fatigues and it's putting a massive damper on my enjoyment

also if possible, adjust those GA grenadier vests reflectivity to match more with apex apparel, because right now rather they are better at attracting unwanted attention than protecting me

CSAT sniper (Jungle) is still affected by the glowing textures issue.

OyUQSLlD.jpg

NATO Sniper (Jungle) seems to be working correctly.

• Like 1

CSAT sniper (Jungle) is still affected by the glowing textures issue.

OyUQSLlD.jpg

As are most of the Marksman DLC ghillies for that matter.

Wonder if devs know that thermal image cant see through glass? No point in RL using thermal devices with red dot sights, as the same thing with nvg because of the focus alignment.

If they are pulling a Crysis copy, ok... i rest my case 

Actually, they seem to know, because as far as I've seen, glass does become opaque in thermals. Last time I checked, that was also true for red dot sights.

TBH, I think that TVGs currently in are good for target identification. You can always take off your red dot if you want to, but I found that switching to thermal to locate targets and then to NV/VIS to pick them off works fine.

Aside from that, well, I'm afraid that they are doing a Crysis copy. While it wasn't a bad game (well, the first one, anyway), ArmA is supposed to do better. I'm afraid Apex, for all the effort that went into it, is gonna be a flop because of this. CTRG gear is cool (nevermind the dorky camo), Russian Chinese Skyranger is cool, Tanoa is awesome (from what I've heard) and all, but I'm afraid they are making the whole thing too gamey (especially after I read what they say about Apex Protocol...) and forgetting what made ArmA great in the first place.

Wonder if devs know that thermal image cant see through glass? No point in RL using thermal devices with red dot sights, as the same thing with nvg because of the focus alignment.

If they are pulling a Crysis copy, ok... i rest my case 

Might be Infrared and not thermals but check this out, also I can't see through glass in game with my thermals, hell even using a scope is not worth it. 

people and objects don't glow in white hot infrared CCTV cameras, if it was a NOD hybrid nvg green image with thermal scan fine. It just is a bad design, you cant pick infrared radiation through non contact objects

Might be Infrared and not thermals but check this out, also I can't see through glass in game with my thermals, hell even using a scope is not worth it. 

((look up a bit for the video))

But that's not glass in the video. You can clearly see it flex every now and then, it's probably a sheet of plexiglass. Glass actually is largely transparent to IR radiation. Thermal optics' objective lenses are made of glass too, aren't they?

But that's not glass in the video. You can clearly see it flex every now and then, it's probably a sheet of plexiglass. Glass actually is largely transparent to IR radiation. Thermal optics' objective lenses are made of glass too, aren't they?

No, different lens:

http://www.knightoptical.com/stock/optical-components/infrared-optics/germanium-optical-components/

http://www.phosctech.com/products.asp?action=12&class=103&action2=106

"Infrared" is a pretty broad term. Glass is transparent to near IR (what "infrared" usually refers to), but for thermal radiation to get through, you need something else. And no, TI lenses aren't made of glass. They must be made of something which is transparent in thermal spectrum, which is not easy to find (it's not the same as being a good heat conductor! A material like this lets heat through, but doesn't get heated much itself).

You can't pick thermal radiation through non-contact objects. That thing in video is plexiglas, you can see that when the guy put his hand on it, it heated up rather quickly on the other side. Glass doesn't do that, which is why it's a good material to make house windows out of. Even a thin sheet will have decent insulating properties. Remember, this is thermal radiation, which is exactly what windows are designed to control (in fact, a big non-military use of TI is checking buildings for heat leaks).

EDIT: Ninja'ed. :) Yeah, it's usually Germanium. You can also use silicon or zinc selenide. 

I've held from stating this as i thought its been a WIP, but with release right around the corner, bringing this up as a possible issue/feedback:

1. When playing units in editor, there is a recon list where they do not include silencers as expected.  Also no scopes are included.  I would expect by default that this special group would have decent gear defaulted

2. Similar to 1, i would expect that more units have default scopes enabled on their loadouts.  It seems 90% of the units have no weapon attachments.  Please consider giving them a scope to use as a default loadout.