solzenicyn

Apex Gear Feedback

Also, it just came to my mind that Chinese might not take kindly to the expansion. BI already managed to piss off Iran, but it's a smaller market. I don't know how CSAT Pacific will be portrayed in the story (OFP:Red River got a pass despite having them as villains), but I can see the designs themselves ticking off PRC's censors.

Well, imagine the crybaby-storm if NATO would have been turned into "aliens"... "but i want M4s!"

Either you go full scifi, with everything of custom design, or you go home (back to actual contemporary stuff) imo. Otherwise everyone will be bitching for one reason or another. Arma 3 background story is very unappealing to most people i think. Not futuristic enough and too realistic to allow suspension of disbelief, not realistic enough to be believable.

• Like 1

Guest ti0n3r

Tbh people will bitch whatever direction Bohemia take. This has been true since what, 2001?

And about China/Iran being portrayed as villians; I'm not sure how true this really is. I spotted one single CSAT "evil deed" in The East Wind, carried out by 4 CSAT soldiers. If you played through it all you probably know what I mean. The brits on the other hand ;). But ofcourse, appart from that its all in our hands as we have the mission editor and free will as our tools. Some people do indeed not like the idea of free will and creative individuals. Fiction is a scary thing,

• Like 1

I would hope that BI would have the courage — business sense be damned — to ignore such institutions. Though, one would of course hope that their portrayal of a nation is at least somewhat fair and not with any propaganda / political motives of their own in mind.

Pre-alpha, CSAT was Iran, complete with Iranian flags. After the Lemnos incident, they became simply 'OPFOR', then CSAT. Since then, they've always just been CSAT, there has never been any mention of them being Iranian. The Chinese CSAT will probably also just be CSAT.

As for their portrayal being fair - BIS campaigns have never really exhibited any nuance when it comes to whatever the OPFOR faction is. They're always just evil for basically no reason.

Yup, 2035 is both too close for futuristic things, and too far for current events. It results in AK-family weapon aside of a futuristic/aliens VTOL.

A lot of vehicles or weapons are existing as prototypes, but that's the issue. They're prototype; it's quite hard for us and for now to give them credibility.

And all that on the background of BLUFOR (short name for US) as good guys for no reason vs. OPFOR (short name for Russia/China/Middle-east) as bad guys for no reason.

Changing from Iran to some sort of coalition actually made a lot of sense. Having Iran use all those advanced weapons would mean giving them waaaay too much credit, considering their actual record (remember that cardboard stealth fighter?). :) At least now it seems that between Russians and Chinese they could actually have that sort of gear (though if Russian practice of sending their allies "monkey models" of their equipment holds in 2035, then the real stuff would probably walk over whatever NATO can field...). It seems to me that CSAT would be something not unlike the old Warsaw Pact, except larger and including China (indeed, if it wasn't for all the Russian equipment, it would make a sensible-looking Chinese counterpart to NATO and CSTO).

Chinese will be CSAT all the same, but it'll still be Chinese forces. Much like in The East Wind they were still Iranians, but under a different banner. That's what I'm worried about. The idea of CSAT isn't that far fetched (looks like an expansion of CSTO), but they still have a nationality in the end. In general, BI could indeed use some more subtlety, especially if it wants a symmetrical conflict. ArmA2 was fine, you mostly fought terrorists and criminals. Same with OA. Terrorists are fair game as far as any non-terrorist is concerned. :) However, if you want a symmetrical conflict, you need a proper, legitimate nation as an antagonist. That does tend to tick the nation in question off, especially if not done well.

At the risk of starting down a path that will likely derail this thread... I would hope that BI would have the courage — business sense be damned — to ignore such institutions. Though, one would of course hope that their portrayal of a nation is at least somewhat fair and not with any propaganda / political motives of their own in mind.

Well, the Chinese do get ticked off about the strangest things at times, but since they didn't mind OFP: Red River, I figure that they're fine with being an antagonist as long as they're portrayed as competent and professional (say what you will about the new OFP, but they did manage to get that right). I hope that BI manages the same, though given the new gear looks as if it was designed to look evil, I do have some concerns. I don't like propaganda, either, but that goes both ways.

Thermal-proof balaclavas are clipping through booniehats and patrol caps (ignore modded headgear, same models as vanilla):

20160621200707_1v0su3.jpg

20160621200722_1kjsax.jpg

Listen guys we get it: ArmA's setting and story was ruined when the development lead changed and ruined both the futuristic scenario and the possibility of a true modern day scenario. That being said, this is the APEX GEAR FEEDBACK DISCUSSION, not the "what's wrong with ArmA III's story and setting discussion. If you want to make that, I'd LOVE to throw my hat in the ring, but don't discuss it here. There are serious issues with Apex's gear and many points have been made about it, but currently the feedback has given way to a conversation about other problems (problems I see as well) with ArmA rather than with Apex's poorly executed amazing ideas.

Thermal-proof balaclavas are clipping through booniehats and patrol caps (ignore modded headgear, same models as vanilla):

20160621200707_1v0su3.jpg

20160621200722_1kjsax.jpg

Glad someone pointed this out so I don't have to. In really like the boonies and the hats and they're extremely likely to be worn in a jungle scenario, but this clipping issue is killing me. I'd also like to see the devs fix the clipping issues with boonies/field caps and night vision straps. 

• Like 1

Apparently, the new Tactical Chestrigs got a pistol holster in the centre. It would be super-duper tacticool if that would actually work like the holsters of the BLUFOR vests, showing the sidearm.

Edit: alternatively, a big ass knife / machete in there would look awesome as well. It just looks so empty right now.

Edit 2: that brings me to another point. We need machetes!^^ Would be totally sufficient if they came just as plain object, with no functionality. So we can place them in the editor as prop.

• Like 5

Apparently, the new Tactical Chestrigs got a pistol holster in the centre. It would be super-duper tacticool if that would actually work like the holsters of the BLUFOR vests, showing the sidearm.

No reason why it shouldn't I made the same thing for the USMC pilot vest in CUP.

Survival fatigues and carrier rig clip through each other And yes I know it's not Apex

You can't prevent all clipping, unless you want to make all the clothing basically the same, or you restrict gear choices. Not saying there is no possibility for improvements, but that's what you have to live with if you want fully customizable gear.

Still missing Survival Fatigues (Tropic), and Survival Fatigues (CTRG).

Also, i'm still appalled by the fact the CSAT uniform didn't really receive any kind of touch up, just rather just got a straight up re texture. As well as the issue with the Knee pads on the NATO uniforms still being a texture as apposed to being modeled like it is on the CSAT uniform. Pants of the CSAT clothing still appears warped, and deformed. Please look into that aswell for quality control purposes before release of Apex.

• Like 2

You can't prevent all clipping, unless you want to make all the clothing basically the same, or you restrict gear choices. Not saying there is no possibility for improvements, but that's what you have to live with if you want fully customizable gear.

Well, the other solution is just preventing things that clip from being worn together. That would be pretty realistic, actually, as long as the restrictions are reasonable. Something like Viper harness, for example, is pretty much a vest/backpack hybrid, so it'd be hard to wear with any sort of armored vest (of course, you could do some finagling, lay belts over each other and such, but it'd probably be neither comfortable nor secure).

Still missing Survival Fatigues (Tropic), and Survival Fatigues (CTRG).

Also, i'm still appalled by the fact the CSAT uniform didn't really receive any kind of touch up, just rather just got a straight up re texture. As well as the issue with the Knee pads on the NATO uniforms still being a texture as apposed to being modeled like it is on the CSAT uniform. Pants of the CSAT clothing still appears warped, and deformed. Please look into that aswell for quality control purposes before release of Apex.

Also considering that not everyone enjoys the CSAT helmet/scaled uniform it would be nice if atleast a "light" version of the CSAT uniform would be added. You could then use arsenal to create the units that you want for each mission. Also the tropical theme would kinda suit a lighter infantry type for CSAT (boonies ,rolled up sleeves etc).

• Like 1

My problem with the uniforms is that BI promised that they have "complete new" uniforms for us. And that we will get suprised...

After the "new" uniforms where released it was only 1 new: the Viper Uniform. The CTRG stealth uniform was just a reskin with a new collar. Nothing more. Thats kinda sad. I also hope that we will get new vests because the only new vest is like the old ones without the tube.

The CTRG stealth uniform was just a reskin with a new collar. Nothing more. 

And the thermal shielding, which is pretty huge.

Half of that helmet is the old BLUFOR helmet model though. Same for the Gendarmerie uniforms which are just two existing models chopped and glued together.

• Like 1

And the thermal shielding, which is pretty huge.

Thats a engine / script thing. Has nothing to do with the uniform itself.

Thats a engine / script thing. Has nothing to do with the uniform itself.

Actually it's texture. The thermal shielding is just a different TI texture. You can easily do the same with any other uniform.

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

Also considering that not everyone enjoys the CSAT helmet/scaled uniform it would be nice if atleast a "light" version of the CSAT uniform would be added. You could then use arsenal to create the units that you want for each mission. Also the tropical theme would kinda suit a lighter infantry type for CSAT (boonies ,rolled up sleeves etc).

I don't really have much issue with the helmets anymore. What really bothers me is the quality of certain gear, isn't consistent, and especially the CSAT clothing pants, look deformed. It looks literally like there's spikes and blades pointing out from the calves area on CSAT uniforms.

Virtual arsenal :

Titan MPRL (Digital), (Hex), (Sand) are sharing the same thumbnail.

Titan MPRL compact (Coyote), (Olive), (Sand) are sharing the same thumbnail.

I don't really have much issue with the helmets anymore. What really bothers me is the quality of certain gear, isn't consistent, and especially the CSAT clothing pants, look deformed. It looks literally like there's spikes and blades pointing out from the calves area on CSAT uniforms.

spikes/blades - make a picture, mark the spikes, post. Can happen if errors in weightpainting happen. Easily solved. Happened with the vanilla wetsuit a long time ago as well.

I suppose it's because it's such an old model. I'm guessing about 5 years old, maybe more. The NATO and CSAT uniform and gear textures looked dated even in the alpha.

For Apex, the textures of the 'new' tropical gear should have been up to 2016 standards. Frankly it's the least that should have been done, considering the amount of reskins that we're getting in this expansion. Someone said it earlier; there's really only one brand new character set - that is, with a completely original uniform, helmet and vest/backpack - and that's Viper. Everything else is reskinned or chopped & changed.

I didn't expect there would be many new CSAT gear assets, but I had hoped for at least a new regular CSAT helmet or vest. I had however fully expected a new NATO faction, even if it was only just one new uniform, vest and helmet model. This is an expansion after all, and I was looking forward to a fresh gameplay experience. At the moment, we've got the same NATO and CSAT units we've been playing with for three years. A hasty coat of paint (and I mean that quite literally in terms of how the NATO camo looks) doesn't make the units feel new.

• Like 2

I suppose it's because it's such an old model. I'm guessing about 5 years old, maybe more. The NATO and CSAT uniform and gear textures looked dated even in the alpha.

For Apex, the textures of the 'new' tropical gear should have been up to 2016 standards. Frankly it's the least that should have been done, considering the amount of reskins that we're getting in this expansion. Someone said it earlier; there's really only one brand new character set - that is, with a completely original uniform, helmet and vest/backpack - and that's Viper. Everything else is reskinned or chopped & changed.

I didn't expect there would be many new CSAT gear assets, but I had hoped for at least a new regular CSAT helmet or vest. I had however fully expected a new NATO faction, even if it was only just one new uniform, vest and helmet model. This is an expansion after all, and I was looking forward to a fresh gameplay experience. At the moment, we've got the same NATO and CSAT units we've been playing with for three years. A hasty coat of paint (and I mean that quite literally in terms of how the NATO camo looks) doesn't make the units feel new.

I would even argue that the Viper suit is not all that new. It looks quite similar to the VR suit that came with bootcamp. And to be fair, even I at some point thought about crafting a new set of textures for the VR suits so they can pass off as "Crisis-like" nano suits. Don't really find that very original. And I would indeed have loved to see really new uniform models, made from scratch.

• Like 2

I would even argue that the Viper suit is not all that new. It looks quite similar to the VR suit that came with bootcamp.

They're different, it's the first thing I checked after seeing them :lol:

I don't have anything bad to say about Viper, I think they're the best thing about Apex so far, and their quality puts everything else to shame (especially CTRG, who are presumably the main characters, but only get old hand-me-down uniforms). And I very much appreciate that BIS included arid hex versions of their stuff.

Also, since there have been some inevitable complaints about Viper's helmet, I think it would be great if they had a non-stealth helmet based on that model. Basically the same helmet but without the face part. That would have the dual benefit of pleasing people who like Viper but don't like the full helmet, and also provide a viable alternative to those who don't like the normal CSAT helmet very much. For example:

viperhelm_zpsiarsgmlw.jpg

• Like 11