solzenicyn

Apex Gear Feedback

Actually it still would have an overlay, but it would be more like two circle or two ovals. So better overall view but not by much. Though one could be argued the view with these mainly the csat helmet would be worse.

when you look with camera you see a overlay? i am sure you are not , the same thing is with these digital Goggles

overlay thing is because the optical tube and not being digital

In my opinion, the new CSAT "alien" helmet, looks little too big, could you scale it down a little bit, like ~25%. Currently it makes Vipers looks like "aliens", small bodies with big head.
From protection point of few, it it uses today's standards of head protection then that helmet is too heavy, and limits head movement and do to heavy weight gives headaches. Current russian Sphere-s Helmets weight ~3,5kg which by doctors is recommeneded not to be weared more than 3 hours at once, and it will not stop a direct 5,45 from going through.
Now if helmets is made from a new tehnology of protection and lighter, than size would not be that big because of limited head movement. The Spec-ops would not wear that kind of helmets, because of limited movement, limited vision and hard to conceal. After all Spec-ops are fast light troops not a frontline stormtroopers :)

• Like 1

In my opinion, the new CSAT "alien" helmet, looks little too big, could you scale it down a little bit, like ~25%. Currently it makes Vipers looks like "aliens", small bodies with big head.

From protection point of few, it it uses today's standards of head protection then that helmet is too heavy, and limits head movement and do to heavy weight gives headaches. Current russian Sphere-s Helmets weight ~3,5kg which by doctors is recommeneded not to be weared more than 3 hours at once, and it will not stop a direct 5,45 from going through.

Now if helmets is made from a new tehnology of protection and lighter, than size would not be that big because of limited head movement. The Spec-ops would not wear that kind of helmets, because of limited movement, limited vision and hard to conceal. After all Spec-ops are fast light troops not a frontline stormtroopers :)

Well , it can be slightly large but i don't think that it is too heavy or limited around the neck at all

limited field of view? with helmet that you got Ti and you can see like you normally would? nah

but it is somewhat inspired by this , notice how that helmet is big and how heavy it must be heh

Problem with that is these suits are designed for one purpose and that is to evade detection by thermal imaging device on drones and vehicles. Normal uniforms might be better visually but less effective thermally. Now the suits I feel are to skin tight since body heat would radiate through the suits to easily, unless using some special insulator. The helmets are most likely the right size because of additional insulation and gear needed to keep the thermal signature low.

Remember that thermal optics and the general availability of thermals will make normal camo almost worthless, and force tactics and equipment to change by quite a bit. Special Forces are almost completely useless for recon now, with how small, stealthy, and cheap UAVs are today. Plus add in the risk of losing or worse have people captured and it makes sense that SF would adapt into what is a quite different type of soldier.

Also I feel the weight of the helmet isn't a concern since such a thing would have connection points running down the neck area, some of which could very easily be support or have the secondary purpose of acting as support.

That helmet is not a good helmet at all, at least when comes to firing a weapon, every weapon in A3 uses traditional aiming down sights system (buttstock), now how can you put your chick on the weapon to ADS when the size of that helmets prevents you to, tilt you head to see through the sights, "rest" your head on weapon's buttstock to stabilize the rife (there is not dent in rifle's buttstock to compensate for helmet size). Not to meniton that FoV on that helmet has a very limited FoV ark. With this helmet and current weapons in A3, you can only hip fire the weapon or like this:
hqdefault.jpg

EDIT: Head and Helmet postion with rifle (not 100% accurate):

Plus add limited FoV ark up close to "eyes".

Pacific CSAT divers should use this unused skin for their wetsuit.

this setObjectTextureGlobal [0,"A3\characters_f\common\data\diver_suit_co.paa"];
(Put in the initialization box of a CSAT diver)

The green colour would go well with the environment and would suit the faction's uniform colour

That helmet is not a good helmet at all [..]

EDIT: Head and Helmet postion with rifle (not 100% accurate):

Plus add limited FoV ark up close to "eyes".

The animation set is the same for every primary weapon (apart from handposition). You can't change subtleties to adjust for something like helmet etc. In reality using such a helmet, they would simply mount the optic higher and not rest the cheeck at the buttstock, like the russians already seem to do with their AK's.

The animation set is the same for every primary weapon (apart from handposition). You can't change subtleties to adjust for something like helmet etc. In reality using such a helmet, they would simply mount the optic higher and not rest the cheeck at the buttstock, like the russians already seem to do with their AK's.

I know it's a default a3 animation, that's not a problem but you haven't looked, the rifle and helmet are close and they can't go any closer, you can even see clipping issues. Even with higher optics you can't put your right eye right in line crosshair. No use of it, that's one of the reasons why does type of helmets are not in production. Now If you would put optics on the left side of rifle, like PKA on AK in RHS AFRF mod. Than maybe, maybe.

Also that FOV - you taking it too realistic , imagine that the helmet is like Iron Man's HUD view - he got a full view display with just two eye holes on his helmet

so that can be the case with Chinese Scifi SF helmet and that helmet more cameras than Iron Man got :P

Iron man is from comic books and everything is based on comics, here in A3, you can't connect it. Plus with that kind of hud/screen and that close to eyes, the user would damage his eye sight almost go blind. Problem with this helmet is that the view doesn't start right where that red lens end, it starts in front of it a few cm, because it has 4 lens on different helmet position to create one picture for viewer and do to Helmet robust size every weapon in A3 can't be properly ADS and that new rifle design is needed to go together with this helmet. I kinda like that idea, special weapon for special gear, now that's futuristic. Problem isn't about FOV and lens, problem is that you can't put your right/left eye in line with crosshair, helmet size is preventing you and you'll end up firing as some arab rebel.

I've made a sketch for a helmet based off the Defender. It'd make more sense to use that as a basis, rather than this weird contraption. Good suit, sad helmut :(

I'm going to make a mockup tomorrow and post it here. Maybe we can convince BI to change it up, or some modder with the will to do it can make a replacement. Right now I am running the suit with the normal helmets + stealth masks, and it looks much better.

• Like 2

Maybe we can convince BI to change it up

Hahahah, good one LOL :D

• Like 1

Could CTRG Get a Its normal outfit (The Thermal Proof one) with Fins, as that would make sense for Tanoa and all the water inserts

Please add some sort of footwear onto ALL Civilian characters that wear shorts, it's off putting and unrealistic seeing shoeless dudes running around deserts and jungles with no footwear.

Have you ever been to a pacific Island? No one wears shoes anywhere. Only time shoes are put on would be for hiking up a mountain, and there are other skins for that. It would honestly be less believable if every civ had shoes.

• Like 1

CpwFwAa.jpg

Whipped up a super quick sketch before breakfast. Helmet has CCD sensors for covering 300 degrees in the forward arc (ish) as well as two primary optics for enhanced center of FOV depiction. Inside it uses a micro-fresnel type lensing array to produce the 3D image.

Has the ability to project HUDs according to the need, including Squad radar or Command Interfaces. Also includes three motion and thermal sensors for situational awareness. The two hexagonal plates on the side of the helmet are removeable for maintainance purposes.

The holes on the side and back of the helmet are for mounting mil-std accessory rails.

Mask is NBC proof, and helmet can be connected via rubber seal to the normal CSAT issue TCCU suit or Viper special purpose suit.

Guaranteed with no garbageware apps preinstalled!

• Like 5

Whipped up a super quick sketch before breakfast. Helmet has CCD sensors for covering 300 degrees in the forward arc (ish) as well as two primary optics for enhanced center of FOV depiction. Inside it uses a micro-fresnel type lensing array to produce the 3D image.

Has the ability to project HUDs according to the need, including Squad radar or Command Interfaces. Also includes three motion and thermal sensors for situational awareness. The two hexagonal plates on the side of the helmet are removeable for maintainance purposes.

The holes on the side and back of the helmet are for mounting mil-std accessory rails.

Mask is NBC proof, and helmet can be connected via rubber seal to the normal CSAT issue TCCU suit or Viper special purpose suit.

Guaranteed with no garbageware apps preinstalled!

Not a bad idea but i am afraid it's too late for that

also in game you get the the similar look with csat helmet + the new compact NVG

z92nU2q.png

Ummm...?

I think that's the new LeftControl+RightClick+W "Look Over Everything" stance.   :P

Wouldn't it be interesting if the viper helmet when damaged loses its thermal capabilities.

Arma equipment doesn't get damaged since it isn't actual objects - none of it is. It's all either "you" (uniform) of a proxy ( equipment, gun).

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

Guest ti0n3r

Ummm...?

Nope.

Not a bad idea but i am afraid it's too late for that

also in game you get the the similar look with csat helmet + the new compact NVG

Problem is I don't want to live with the viper helmets we have. They are neither sexy nor functional. The model is brilliant, but the concept is flawed. If I meet these in the campaign I'll make a point of stripping them of their Helmut's and ritually burning them.

• Like 1

Arma equipment doesn't get damaged since it isn't actual objects - none of it is. It's all either "you" (uniform) of a proxy ( equipment, gun).

Should be able to detect a hit to the head and randomly disableTIEquipment or disableNVGEquipment based on that to fake it though.

I don't think it'd be worth the effort, though. In most cases, a hit to the head kill you anyway, Viper helmet or not. It might stop pistol rounds, but hardly anyone uses those in ArmA. IRL, a direct head shot will always knock you out, even if you do end up surviving.

In general, I agree with all the criticism of the Viper helmet. :) I've already criticized it in another thread. Not only is it pretty nonfunctional, the "alien head" design, especially with those red eyes and skintight suit, makes them look absurd (the suit would have been nice on its own, though, or with a better helmet). Funnily enough, these guys are also the ones with the Skyranger. :) Make of that what you will. 

Also, it just came to my mind that Chinese might not take kindly to the expansion. BI already managed to piss off Iran, but it's a smaller market. I don't know how CSAT Pacific will be portrayed in the story (OFP:Red River got a pass despite having them as villains), but I can see the designs themselves ticking off PRC's censors.

• Like 1

Also, it just came to my mind that Chinese might not take kindly to the expansion. BI already managed to piss off Iran, but it's a smaller market. I don't know how CSAT Pacific will be portrayed in the story (OFP:Red River got a pass despite having them as villains), but I can see the designs themselves ticking off PRC's censors.

At the risk of starting down a path that will likely derail this thread... I would hope that BI would have the courage — business sense be damned — to ignore such institutions. Though, one would of course hope that their portrayal of a nation is at least somewhat fair and not with any propaganda / political motives of their own in mind.