solzenicyn

Apex Weapon Feedback

The AKMs and AKS are a fine thing. But I suppose a RPK or some kind of fitting LMG or MMG would be a great thing. Otherwise you'd always have to mix loadouts with 'classical' Apex AKMs and 'modern' vanilla MMGs and LMGs. That's a bit crude.

While I agree that an RPK would be better for ammo compat reasons, there is an AKS74U that is 5.45mm and AKM is 7.62. And that M249 would be quite outdated and popular among black market roaming folk, like you know, rebels and drug smugglers...  ;)

as an example, ISIS gunner with a "modern" M249 PARA all tacticooled n shit

http://armamentresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/IS-Minimi.jpg

• Like 2

This makes me very uncomfortable. please, no one would hold it like that

In the absence of a vertical fore grip, it's a lot more common than you think, especially when the stock/RIS starts getting hot!!

• Like 3

In the absence of a vertical fore grip, it's a lot more common than you think, especially when the stock/RIS starts getting hot!!

Yes thats true on the short rifles but not on long rifles like Hk417 ha

but seriously it needs the vert grip just because of balance of the whole rifle

even MXM has it for the same reason

MXM(black).jpg

• Like 7

While I like the new weapons, I feel they are not as good as they could be.Focsuing specifically on the SPAR rifles, they have that kind of "plastic" look, like the MX series. Where if you compare them to the M4's from RHS which look like real guns.They have a weight to their appearance and small scratches etc on them. The SPARs just look kinda "Arma3-ish" if that makes sense..

I am assuming the sounds for them are WIP also as they sound very flat and subdued. And my last point-which is one that applies to a lot of addons that have a HK417 in them-which obviously the SPAR is meant to be. The 417 is used bt a lot of groups as a sniper/marksman rifle, but in A3 they never really have the power to drop someone from a few hundred metres in one shot like they should in real life. It basically makes them a heavier assault rifle 9I know the 417 is used as an assualt rifle also, but it would be nice to use it in it's marksman role too.)

Otherwise I am loving APEX and want to thank all the BI team for probably the best map they have ever made and i am really excited for the new campaign :)

I tend to agree, the SPARs are really nice models but look just awful in the jungle. Sticking out like shiny plastic guns. They seem okay in plain daylight though. Still, the texture work is, in many regards, sadly not as perfect as the RHS stuff.

• Like 2

Khaki:

Steve-Irwin-steve-irwin-4018255-540-380.

Not Khaki (The rifle):

7L89lQkg.jpg

Not a fan of this lightish green colour. It looks more like baby vomit than camouflage. Also, the HK416 needs a foregrip or at least needs the hand moving off the magwell. It looks so lopsided there.

I tend to agree, the SPARs are really nice models but look just awful in the jungle. Sticking out like shiny plastic guns. They seem okay in plain daylight though. Still, the texture work is, in many regards, sadly not as perfect as the RHS stuff.

Maybe that's because the SPAR rifles aren't true black , but something light gray - in renders it looks ok

there might be the specular or something in the rvmat that makes them look bright

• Like 1

Khaki:

Not Khaki (The rifle):

Not a fan of this lightish green colour. It looks more like baby vomit than camouflage. Also, the HK416 needs a foregrip or at least needs the hand moving off the magwell. It looks so lopsided there.

OD green

The texture on the holosight looks terrible in sunlight (textures on Ultra):

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/445109499361447033/C6682717FDC63D700D9200E289D9CEC03B952E19/

I checked and the regular holosight doesn't look better - it just doesn't stand out that much.

Holosight always been like that ,but now its more obvious with the new lighting

also it is doing this with the shadows - https://youtu.be/jyDmbPIe8po

it's the gloss map inside of the SMDI that is doing that pixelated texture

• Like 1

CAR 95 GL the new animations are for GP 25! Please BIS give the appropriate animations !

in APEX we have a GP25 GL for the AK12.  Please BIS add an AKM GL version!!

in meantime
the mk18 abr the reload animations are still ugly and the MX GL are the same animations for the GP25

this weapons need some love

wish

wood without paint version for  MK14

• Tweaked: The reload animation of CAR-95 UGL was improved
That, what you call "Tweaked"? It's just reused MX GL animation! C'mon, BIS, make fine animation for this rifle. GL sights are broken btw.

• Like 1

That looks like the GL is sucking the round into it like a vaccuum cleaner.

And yeah, sorry, but that animation is really half-assing it I take it back, I was sure I'd seen a picture somewhere of that GL loading like a 203. Must have been something else. Mea culpa.

• Like 4

CAR-95 GL's animation is pretty accurate. The QLG-10A uses caseless 35 mm shells which you insert shells like you would with a GP25. Definitely needs some tweaking however.

Not going to happen, because the magazine is — unfortunately — part of the weapon model. So if you were to allow 30rnd magazines in its config, you would still see a drum mag in the model. It's an engine thing that needs to change, but as I understand it, needs considerable inertia to happen.

I really wish they would change this. To me, the regular MX rifle looks absolutely terrible. The MX SW looks like a much more plausible future rifle setup, but I hate the way the casket mag looks in it. I really, really wish they would change the engine to allow this change.

BIS, I love everything you've been doing.  But for the love of god, please, please please! add some new sound love to the silenced weapons.  The rest of the weapon sound improvements have been great.  This is the only piece missing.  I thank you in advance for considering.

The only piece missing? Mate, have you tried taking a look at the suppressor model? It's fucking awful. The best suppressor model in the game is the LMG 6.5 suppressor, but it's only used on MGs, meaning it constitutes damn near none of the suppressors you'll see. I don't understand why every other suppressor in the game is 20" long when (apparently) open bolt, belt fed machine guns can be effectively suppressed with a can a quarter of the size.

Game is almost 3 years old, various DLCs and first Expansion released,

still no shotguns.

Cheers

Well I mean, to be fair they'd be kind of useless on this new map with all the one room buildings and shit.

Does anyone else think the SPAR-16 is too heavy? It is the same weight as the Type 115, and that has an extra gun on the bottom! It's by far the heaviest 5.56mm rifle and is even heavier than the MX. From a balancing perspective, I see no reason anyone would use this over a lighter and more powerful MX or a lighter but just as powerful TRG-20 or Mk20.

What's the actual weight in the game? The HK416 in real life is a considerably heavy AR variant (weighing almost 8lbs unloaded in the 14.5" configuration). 

This makes me very uncomfortable. please, no one would hold it like that

4359f4dfc2.jpg

It's actually a really common stance and, when trying to shoot accurately with a straight back standing up, is one of the better resting stances as it puts all of the weight on your skeleton rather than your muscles. That being said, it's an unrealistic combat stance for anything longer than 20" (There are tons of pictures of Marines using this stance, though most of the time it's from older phones where they're inside a city rather than in an open space, so 14.5" is more accurate for that stance). I don't want to see a grip because I think a grip would really ruin that beautiful, slim model, but I do want to see a grip that's on the handguard rather than the magwell.

Same thing with the SPAR-16: Grip the handguard, not the magwell. Maybe even thumb over bore.

Yes thats true on the short rifles but not on long rifles like Hk417 ha

but seriously it needs the vert grip just because of balance of the whole rifle

even MXM has it for the same reason

MXM(black).jpg

The grip is one of the things I hate the most about the MXM (other than the massive stock and non-specialized magazine that would make it really hard to shoot in prone). I don't want to see another grip to ruin the profile of the rifle. There's a reason why you don't see real life marksmen with foregrips on their rifle, and that's because it's just another thing you have to take into account when pivoting on your bipod.

Khaki:

Steve-Irwin-steve-irwin-4018255-540-380.

Not Khaki (The rifle):

7L89lQkg.jpg

Baby vomit colors worked well for the Rhodesians, so it should work well here. I've got no problem with the color, I just wish the material of the rifle was different so it wasn't so shiny. I also wished these rifles looked used like real military rifles, because even the US Military doesn't have enough money to give each soldier brand new rifles with no scratches or chips in the finish. 

CAR 95 GL the new animations are for GP 25! Please BIS give the appropriate animations !

in APEX we have a GP25 GL for the AK12.  Please BIS add an AKM GL version!!

in meantime
the mk18 abr the reload animations are still ugly and the MX GL are the same animations for the GP25

this weapons need some love

wish

wood without paint version for  MK14

Speaking of the Mk18 reload, can we talk about the mag? I know it's notApex related, but holy shit the magazine is terrible. It's not even thick enough to be single stack and it's really, really noticeable. 

• Like 1

Well I mean, to be fair they'd be kind of useless on this new map with all the one room buildings and shit.

Yeah , like shotguns were useless in ArmA 2 right?

There's a reason why you don't see real life marksmen with foregrips on their rifle, and that's because it's just another thing you have to take into account when pivoting on your bipod.

Wrong , the latest Hk417A2 aka G28 it was made to be used with the Vert Grip and bipod together

and it is a user preference for each shooter if he wants the Vert Grip or not ,but mostly they do use it - like you can see on Mk14

• Like 1

Yeah , like shotguns were useless in ArmA 2 right?

Wrong , the latest Hk417A2 aka G28 it was made to be used with the Vert Grip and bipod together

and it is a user preference for each shooter if he wants the Vert Grip or not ,but mostly they do use it - like you can see on Mk14

No, I found shotguns to be extremely useful in ArmA II OA (not so much in the original game) for compound clearing. In the base game, I didn't think they were anywhere near as useful. 

As for the G28, nobody ever said that they weren't issued with both a bipod and a vertical foregrip. That being said, being issued with both doesn't exactly mean it makes for a great shooting combination. Ever actually tried pivoting on a bipod with a vertical grip in the way? I have and it sucks. You gain comfort standing up but lose motion when laying down. Other than that, I seriously hope your argument for adding a grip isn't "real-world accuracy", because if that's the case they've already messed up on the flash hider and quite a few other bits.

I, personally, don't want to see a foregrip. If you want to see one, that's perfectly fine, but as you said it's a preference thing more than anything else. I have found them to be nothing but a hindrance on accuracy-based rifles more than a help. 

One last parting piece: the Mk14 is a piece of shit. They're a piss poor DMR due to overall accuracy and weight problems. It's common to see them both with and without vertical foregrips. 

Not going to happen, because the magazine is — unfortunately — part of the weapon model. So if you were to allow 30rnd magazines in its config, you would still see a drum mag in the model. It's an engine thing that needs to change, but as I understand it, needs considerable inertia to happen.

I really wish they would change this. To me, the regular MX rifle looks absolutely terrible. The MX SW looks like a much more plausible future rifle setup, but I hate the way the casket mag looks in it. I really, really wish they would change the engine to allow this change.

I know people hate the comparison, but the Dayz devs had it in from the very start, so it's definitely possible within the engine. Like Bek said though, it probably needs to be seen as a higher priority which i highly doubt it will ever be..

I know people hate the comparison, but the Dayz devs had it in from the very start, so it's definitely possible within the engine. Like Bek said though, it probably needs to be seen as a higher priority which i highly doubt it will ever be..

Within the DayZ engine, yes. Within the Arma 3 engine currently, no.

You do realize that the whole point of DayZ doing massive modifications to the engine, is exactly because they needed to add things like this which support the core gameplay concepts and remove the things which are not relevant to them? They're still in early access almost 3 years later... 

While it would be nice on so many levels to be able to treat weapons, mags and all other items as true objects, set variables on them and whatnot, I highly doubt this is happening with this iteration of the engine as it is in no way a trivial change to make.

On the other hand, many things are possible "within any engine" given enough time, but that doesn't mean it's plausible to do so. Arma engine itself is the perfect example considering what was made possible over the years and game iterations.

You do realize that the whole point of DayZ doing massive modifications to the engine, is exactly because they needed to add things like this which support the core gameplay concepts and remove the things which are not relevant to them? They're still in early access almost 3 years later... 

While it would be nice on so many levels to be able to treat weapons, mags and all other items as true objects, set variables on them and whatnot, I highly doubt this is happening with this iteration of the engine as it is in no way a trivial change to make.

On the other hand, many things are possible "within any engine" given enough time, but that doesn't mean it's plausible to do so. Arma engine itself is the perfect example considering what was made possible over the years and game iterations.

You know it is not that hard - because it uses the same technic as the proxy attachments

also i asked some BIS developers here on the forums and he said that it wouldn't be hard to do - proxy magazines that is

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/153699-magazines-should-be-a-proxy/ - https://feedback.bistudio.com/T67973

• Like 2

You do realize that the whole point of DayZ doing massive modifications to the engine..

They've had it since the very release, before any major(if any) engine modifications. It was still the RV engine at that point so it is possible if work gets put into it(which i said i doubt would happen in my previous post..)

And you would think a tactical shooter such as arma which puts realism slightly higher than most other shooters, properly depicting weapons would be relevant to their needs.

They're still in early access almost 3 years later...

Yes games take quite some time to make, surprise. Especially when you work with outdated and limited engines such as the RV engine and then have to rework a lot of it(which the progress of has clearly been shown with the 0.60 update. Going from 15-20fps in cities to 80-90fps!)
  • Like 1

Does anyone else think the SPAR-16 is too heavy? It is the same weight as the Type 115, and that has an extra gun on the bottom! It's by far the heaviest 5.56mm rifle and is even heavier than the MX. From a balancing perspective, I see no reason anyone would use this over a lighter and more powerful MX or a lighter but just as powerful TRG-20 or Mk20.

You are right , they are kinda too heavy

SPAR16 - 120 mass
SPAR16GL-120 mass
SPAR16S- 140 mass
SPAR17 - 200 mass

HK416A5  11" - 3,37 kg (with mag) = 74,14

^same but with GL - 4,64 kg = 102,08

HK416A5 14.5" with drum - 5,59 kg = 122,98

HK417A2  20" - 4,9 kg (with mag) = 107

so the A3 values for the SPAR rifles should be almost same as MX rifles got

SPAR16 - 80 mass
SPAR16GL-100 mass
SPAR16S- 120 mass
SPAR17 - 120 mass

You know it is not that hard - because it uses the same technic as the proxy attachments

also i asked some BIS developers here on the forums and he said that it wouldn't be hard to do - proxy magazines that is

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/153699-magazines-should-be-a-proxy/ - https://feedback.bistudio.com/T67973

Bleh, I just realized you guys are talking about proxy magazines on weapons. That I agree, would probably be easier to do. I somehow got this mixed up with someone asking for damageable inventory items.

• Like 2

I don't think that's a bad or unfair comparison to make at all. There are some things that, with .6, DayZ does better than ArmA III (seriously, that new rain is fucking awesome. Really restricts vision like real life rain unlike ArmA III's) and there's nothing wrong with that on DayZ's end, but there's a lot wrong with that on ArmA's end. I really hope the devs decide to fix this one day rather than just keep on going the way they are. Would also open avenues for the opposite to happen where the M249 can use USGI mags and shit.

You are right , they are kinda too heavy

SPAR16 - 120 mass
SPAR16GL-120 mass
SPAR16S- 140 mass
SPAR17 - 200 mass

HK416A5  11" - 3,37 kg (with mag) = 74,14

^same but with GL - 4,64 kg = 102,08

HK416A5 14.5" with drum - 5,59 kg = 122,98

HK417A2  20" - 4,9 kg (with mag) = 107

so the A3 values for the SPAR rifles should be almost same as MX rifles got

SPAR16 - 80 mass
SPAR16GL-100 mass
SPAR16S- 120 mass
SPAR17 - 120 mass

Yeah, they do seem a tad heavy. There's no way in hell a loaded USGI mag is a full pound, and the HK416 11" sure as hell isn't 7.5 lbs with a mag, though it'd be damn close to that weight. 

There are some things that, with .6, DayZ does better than ArmA III (seriously, that new rain is fucking awesome. Really restricts vision like real life rain unlike ArmA III's)

DayZ's new rain looks like it has a bit more volume, but from what I've seen, it doesn't really obscure vision that much (saw more of that from fog). They look about the same to me otherwise.