Sign in to follow this  
pavel volonsky

Something wrong with the Y-32 Xi'an's HUD

The HUD of the Xi'an VTOL is quite confusing...

142114itbhkroarnbza9k9.jpg

1. In Chinese "汽油" means gasoline, not fuel. And as the aircraft burns kerosene, I think it should be better to use "燃料"(fuel) instead of "汽油".

2. In Chinese the word "southwest" is literally "Westsouth"(西å—), not "å—西". so are the "Eastsouth"(东å—), "Westnorth"(西北) and "Eastnorth"(东北).

3. Chinese airplanes NEVER use Earthly Branches or Heavenly Stems on their compass because it is REALLY CONFUSING. Instead they simply use Arabic numerals. 

(After I consulted all of my friends, it seems that no one knows it at all, and we all agree that if this kind of compass really exists, it can only used by fortune-tellers, not airplanes.)

4. In Chinese aviation terms, "æ–¹å‘" should be "航å‘角", "角" be "俯仰角", and "å·" be "翻滚角".

142117yuh1ic555ina5a1z.jpg5. Hydraulics should be "液压" instead of "水力学", as "水力学" in Chinese only refers to that branch of science.

6. When using "ä¼" for Volt, I suggest using "安" instead of "安培" for Ampere.

7. In China a gun with caliber equals or larger than 20mm is called "ç‚®",  a smaller-than-20mm caliber gun is "枪". So the 30mm caseless machine gun should be "机炮" instead of "机枪".

8. In my opinion in Chinese we seldom use "åå¦å…‹"(Antitank) to describe a weapon. Instead a Chinese may prefer "导弹"(Missile) in such cases.

9. The "ç«ç®­"(Rocket) should be "ç«ç®­å¼¹". In Chinese the word "ç«ç®­" and its derivations are quite complex:

"ç«ç®­"(literally "rocket") usually describes the device that shoots the satellites into the space;

(In PLA publications they describe the Soviet-built FROG-7 as "ç«ç®­" instead of "ç«ç®­å¼¹" , because it's "very big")

"ç«ç®­å¼¹"("rocket shells") refers to the projected missile of "smaller" rockets, like the artillery rocket, RPG rocket and (in this case) the air launched rockets.

"ç«ç®­ç‚®"("rocket artillery pieces") refers to the launcher of the multiple artillery rocket;

"ç«ç®­å·¢"("rocket nest") refers to the multi-tube launcher of the air launched rockets;

"ç«ç®­ç­’"("rocket tube") refers to the launcher  of the RPG rocket;

(last but not least, be aware that a guided missile can NEVER be called a rocket in Chinese)

=========Other mistakes found============

10. The "中波" in the radio channel display should be "中频".

11. RPM should be displayed as "转速", not "转".

12. Strongly recommend to use Arabic Numerals instead of Chinese Numerals in RPM display. 

• Like 21

Nice observations. Hopefully, the devs will reflect on them.

In the meantime, I hope we'll get a localized version of the HUD.

Some may claim it breaks immersion, but I find reading something that I understand and have no headache to figure out is actually more immersive.

• Like 1

Nice observations. Hopefully, the devs will reflect on them.

In the meantime, I hope we'll get a localized version of the HUD.

Some may claim it breaks immersion, but I find reading something that I understand and have no headache to figure out is actually more immersive.

i am 100% sure that it is NOT gonna happen

• Like 3

But it is not technically impossible.

When working on the Chinese translation mod of the ArmA 2, I've found that the HUD display is localized, though all the language versions use English. 

It is indeed pretty weird to find Chinese words(and of course, other languages except English) on a US-built AH-64's HUD, and I think that's why BI won't do this. 

Making separate HUD layout for every supported language even though 98% will not notice or appreciate the vast amount of time spend on it for no real benefit? Of course it is not impossible.

Hi, sorry to pop in with a bit of off topic-ness but I wanted to ask how accurate english to chinese translation tends to be and if its not, if there is any chance I could ask of you a few words for a translation from english to chinese.
I've been working on some aircraft to give OPFOR something of their own to balance against my apache and I'd like to add the Z-10 to the roster, but I have absolutely no clue how any of the instruments would be labelled and I really don't want to use English for a native aircraft that is not dominantly English.

• Like 1

Hi, sorry to pop in with a bit of off topic-ness but I wanted to ask how accurate english to chinese translation tends to be and if its not, if there is any chance I could ask of you a few words for a translation from english to chinese.

I've been working on some aircraft to give OPFOR something of their own to balance against my apache and I'd like to add the Z-10 to the roster, but I have absolutely no clue how any of the instruments would be labelled and I really don't want to use English for a native aircraft that is not dominantly English.

Hah it will be my pleasure if you need some help. :D

When working on the Chinese translation mod of the ArmA 2, I've found that the HUD display is localized, though all the language versions use English. 

It is indeed pretty weird to find Chinese words(and of course, other languages except English) on a US-built AH-64's HUD, and I think that's why BI won't do this. 

nothing is technically impossible. That said the HUD as you call it does also include a bunch of textures as well...

Sorry for the confusion - I meant an EN version, not a localized one for every supported language. That'd be weird, in fact.

Sorry for the confusion - I meant an EN version, not a localized one for every supported language. That'd be weird, in fact.

i am just as certain it won't happen, despite the confusion. 

Is there a display that shows what your current thruster angle is ? Because having to go to third person to confirm it everytime doesn't feel right at all :p

• Like 2

Just to tack onto this: the artificial horizon appears to rotate backwards, completely not acting like a horizon in the first place. Also as mentioned earlier a gauge indicating thrust vectoring angle would be very helpful so we dont need to verify in 3rd person

Do you mean the instruments themselves? For me the Y-32 lacks a HUD...

Great observations @pavel volonsky! Hopefully the devs look into these.

Do you mean the instruments themselves? For me the Y-32 lacks a HUD...

The instruments, yes :)

Good to see knowlege being shared by someone who has it as close to "first-hand" as possible  ;)

Keep the good deed goin'!

哈哈哈哈哈哈哈哈ï¼ï¼ï¼   so  funny :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I would recommend making a feedback ticket of this if you already haven't. I would also like for the new faction to get some love, and ironing out of the little things (though I suppose they are not as acute as other issues).

Em....I have to say that in my opinion, it's way better to have a correct English display panel than a funny Chinese panel including "å­ä¸‘寅å¯" on it which seems...

Well, PLA may do fortune-telling, but I'm pretty sure they don't do that in the cockpit. And they can't trade(hahaha).