solzenicyn

Spatial Awareness Improvements

Found another bug:

Squad Radar looks like this in the layout options, which makes it quite hard to properly align the names to left & right.

After setting the layout back to Arma 3 (Default) and restarting the game, the UI element appears as one would expect.

Hello there,

in the recent update of the development branch the Squad Radar feature was temporarily removed from the game. But fear not!

Squad Radar proved to be a solid foundation and a testbed for a great feature to come.

Without spoiling much details just yet, the deal is that we have started to work upon a more sophisticated solution for the spatial awareness indicator that will provide the functionality of the current Squad Radar with even more useful information.

It is just no longer feasible for us now to maintain the current code & data for this feature while we are working on the new one, that's all.

So, for a while you will have to play without it, before it will return in a new iteration eventually. Hopefully, it won't be for too long!

Also, I would like to thank everyone for the feedback you have provided for this feature so far. It really helped us to improve the spatial awareness and set the course for its future iterations.

• Like 5

Hello there,

in the recent update of the development branch the Squad Radar feature was temporarily removed from the game. But fear not!

Squad Radar proved to be a solid foundation and a testbed for a great feature to come.

Without spoiling much details just yet, the deal is that we have started to work upon a more sophisticated solution for the spatial awareness indicator that will provide the functionality of the current Squad Radar with even more useful information.

It is just no longer feasible for us now to maintain the current code & data for this feature while we are working on the new one, that's all.

So, for a while you will have to play without it, before it will return in a new iteration eventually. Hopefully, it won't be for too long!

Also, I would like to thank everyone for the feedback you have provided for this feature so far. It really helped us to improve the spatial awareness and set the course for its future iterations.

Sounds exciting ;) Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

Problem:

Not usable

Reason:

Annoying sound

All can see ping icon

Solution:

Remove all sound

Only group members receive ping

nah, fn_Quiksilver, solution is removing a sound and making it work only for people 2-3 meters from you. So it can be used in conversation only.

• Like 3

Tactical ping can be a great alternative to ace`s pointing if it is made customizable in the following areas:

1) Size of the circle (make it configurable by the server)

2) Duration of the circle hanging (configurable by the server)

3) People who can see it (squad or everyone or 2 meters from the pointer, also configurable by the server)

4) Perhaps color

5) Perhaps pointing animation (the one already in Arma can be used as seen on the Apex poster)

• Like 2

normally i play with most of the training wheels off (no map content, HUD set to fade in/out, no waypoint markers, enemy labels etc.) so i actually have to land nav and look around. but next time i play with my buddy, i'll have to give this a try it looks pretty neat. it would be nice way to reorganize the context command menu into something a little faster and more responsive.

Have been looking forwards to this coming back and what the enhancements are going to be upon it.  

Is there any consideration for players who only have mono hearing? that is they are deaf in one of their ears.

My suggestion: Squad Radar extra option: Aid; for Hard of Hearing / Deaf Players

The most outer squad radar ring could have ( )  for depicting incoming fire  andfor ahead this could be for contacts close, which would changed based on direction player is facing. I think the game engine already has something that checks if bullets fly past a character/player?? these red brackets could appear for a second each time a shot is fired, so if there is say an AR gun fire to the right then would appear to flash intermittently, compared to a slower paced incoming rounds. However i know it wouldn't be as simple as that, i mean if there were 5 enemies firing from the right, the direction of incoming fire indicator would be flashing a lot. For a visual player such as myself i would not find that annoying, it would help get a bead on which direction the fire is.  

This would not be advantage if playing PVP because it won't give away the position of the enemy, just that you know the contact is the right.  However never having had normal hearing i do not know how accurate players can place where the sound of gun fire is coming from, if pinpointing is pretty accurate by turning your head to gauge from which exact bearing, perhaps for this Squad Radar option, the brackets could have a small pip that slides up and down the bracket to get the general direction, again i do not know how well you could implement that if there was say five enemies to the right, would you have 5 pips? or would you just have one, where the closest enemy is indicated? or the pip increases in size to indicate a few enemies, so visually you know there is more enemies to your right than your left which you would be able to tell by gun fire for normal hearing people right? 

Players who are not deaf, but have their computer in a noisy environment or maybe one of their speakers has died, would be able to use this also.  I heard a while back some graphics card provider actually had some kind of thing like this that could overlay in games. I can't recall which one that was, but its a shame more games do not have something like this. There would be a lot of people including veterans who might of developed hearing problems from combat or whatnot, players with damaged hearing from their job etc. It just would help greatly to be able to react to combat sounds

as other players with normal hearing do. 

• Like 2

Good stuff, looking forward to seeing this. Reminds me of the original Ghost Recon situational awareness HUD (hoping there will be some incoming fire/enemy/ping arcs added as well).

I also wonder if any of this has synergies with description.ext showHUD vehicle radar and vehicle compass, and the upcoming Jets DLC aircraft radar; if it's possible to streamline them together for fewer variations of those HUD elements.

Only to whatever extent is reasonable of course; I know there's a big difference from personal range awareness HUD to a full-blown aircraft and AAA radar HUD, but still it may simplify things for users and developers having fewer variations.

And maybe if it's possible to merge some of its info to the GPS minimap when it is shown, so you only have the minimap taking up screen space with the radar info added on top. Apologies if this was all discussed before.

And finally if group member name list can synergize with or be replaced by the commanding menu with a few improvements, again to reduce the amount of redundant HUD elements on screen for group leaders and members.