Sign in to follow this  
lato190

SWAT 4 Remake

Hey,

I'm glad I stumbled upon this, my coop gaming group has recently reinstalled our Swat 4 Gold and we'll be giving it a go this weekend. I'm gonna recommend that we try out this mod instead of Sheriff's Special Forces 3.2 which we normally run.

We play Swat 4 over Evolve VPN. If anyone wishes to partake, add me on steam and I'll give you our TS info. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197963656259

For anyone who wants to make their game feel more modern, here's a few ini tweaks.

Files are located inside your system directory, so for this mod it's swat 4\swat 4 remake mod\system

Remember: Always backup files before altering them.

To change resolution, in swat4x.ini find:

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]

WindowedViewportX=800
WindowedViewportY=600
FullscreenViewportX=1920 This is your res, width &
FullscreenViewportY=1200 height
MenuViewportX=640
MenuViewportY=480

To change Field of View, add to the bottom of the same section that contains your resolution:

FovAngleDegrees=100.000000 your FoV in degrees, 100

And to remove mouse acceleration for more precise aiming, in user.ini add:

[Engine.PlayerInput]
bInvertMouse=False
MouseSmoothingMode=0
MouseSmoothingStrength=0.000000
MouseSensitivity=1.000000
MouseSamplingTime=0.001
MouseAccelThreshold=0.000000
DoubleClickTime=0.200000

You will have to raise mouse sensitivity in game after that.

Catch you on the flip side.

I'd stick to SSF for now if you're actually going to be playing with a more or less serious group. While this mod could get better than that it currently misses two crucial components compared to SSF and even base Swat 4. One is the smaller amount of maps compared to SSF (only ones from Swat 4 and Stechkov Syndicate), the other and imo most crucial one is that the AI seems like a step backwards from SSF. You've just entered a room, maybe after throwing in your favorite grenade, maybe without. Suspects often run at you while your entire team is pointing guns at them, you are screaming at them to give up, beating and pepperspraying them and still they try to run right through you. After about a second the AI computes that this isn't going to work and opens up on you. Sadly your team shoots at the suspect, with you standing toe to toe with the suspect this will always end badly. That's the most glaring case of poor AI changes (or bug?), but there is loads of stuff that annoys me about it. I can understand how some suspects might react irrationally, but this isn't anything like that. I've also gotten cases where punching or pepperspraying people didn't help (didn't register) and I had to fire into the air to get the person to move so the game could recalculate the situation that the person was in (in essence breaking the loop). There are many new weapons, but the ammo seems to be off as quite a few weapons with ammo that was already present in the game appear woefully underpowered to the point of being as useful as a BB gun would as well as descriptions and some textures missing or wrong (also in maps). SSF is a major step up from base Swat 4, this mod at present is at best comparable to the base game, but has potential.

Maybe it wasn't possible due to permissions, but it would have been easier imo to branch this project off of SSF 3.2 which was already solid enough.

I'd stick to SSF for now if you're actually going to be playing with a more or less serious group. While this mod could get better than that it currently misses two crucial components compared to SSF and even base Swat 4. One is the smaller amount of maps compared to SSF (only ones from Swat 4 and Stechkov Syndicate), the other and imo most crucial one is that the AI seems like a step backwards from SSF. You've just entered a room, maybe after throwing in your favorite grenade, maybe without. Suspects often run at you while your entire team is pointing guns at them, you are screaming at them to give up, beating and pepperspraying them and still they try to run right through you. After about a second the AI computes that this isn't going to work and opens up on you. Sadly your team shoots at the suspect, with you standing toe to toe with the suspect this will always end badly. That's the most glaring case of poor AI changes (or bug?), but there is loads of stuff that annoys me about it. I can understand how some suspects might react irrationally, but this isn't anything like that. I've also gotten cases where punching or pepperspraying people didn't help (didn't register) and I had to fire into the air to get the person to move so the game could recalculate the situation that the person was in (in essence breaking the loop). There are many new weapons, but the ammo seems to be off as quite a few weapons with ammo that was already present in the game appear woefully underpowered to the point of being as useful as a BB gun would as well as descriptions and some textures missing or wrong (also in maps). SSF is a major step up from base Swat 4, this mod at present is at best comparable to the base game, but has potential.

Maybe it wasn't possible due to permissions, but it would have been easier imo to branch this project off of SSF 3.2 which was already solid enough.

I've just tried it out for myself and I think you're right. Only problem with SSF is that the developer is long gone. SSF improves a lot of important gameplay areas that this mod should focus on next.

Thanks for sharing this, been using SSF and SaS mods mostly, I like this a lot, but my main issue is the incredibly shiny clothes on the officers

Did the first mission below:

Not sure if you meant to do that last bit of the mission like that, but it illustrates the most annoying thing of the mod. You were approaching that room on your own without you ordering your team to hold position. Literally every type of contact gets the rest of your team to hold position and you manually have to order them to Fall In. It's only a matter of looking at the ground and hitting the spacebar, but eventually it gets so annoying. Also AI not picking up evidence and restraining suspects on their own, but that's always been a flaw of the game.

I installed the SAS mod once but couldn't get it to run properly. Like it was only half installed or something ...

the dev has released patch 1.2, ive uploaded it to moddb. It fixes some problems, but unfortinately not the one that are mentioned here. But he is still working on it, the best is to contact him on his facebook page and report the problems to him, so he can work on fixes.

Too bad that the SSF devs are gone and that the Remake dev does not allow to mod his mod for public, otherwise i would try to port the AI from SSF to the remake mod.

Thanks lato, got 1.2 did a video below, would be great if he could get the less shiny outfit going seems very latex masochism at the moment.

• Like 1

thank you for your videos. This will bring more attention to swat 4 and the mod. Some will go back to swat 4 and try it out. The dev will also be thankful to you. His mod deserve more attention.

Really appreciated it.

Decent coop fun the other night with the latest update :)

• Like 2

This with the 'mega-campaign' mod is a good stuff, actually like a lot some of those 'redone' vanilla maps like fairfax below:

Running 4.1 and 1.3.1 separately on the GOG version of the game, played the first seven missions of both several times each with different loadouts and/or tactics.

My main gripe with the game hasn't been fixed in either mod. Suspects are suicidal, civilians are far too rebellious. When faced with a SWAT team with their weapons trained on them most suspects in the real world will surrender, not engage them as the human mind knows it amounts to suicide. Ingame it virtually always requires grenades to get suspects to surrender, not throwing in some kind of LTL measure will end up in shots fired. Civilians mostly curl up into a little ball when faced with such traumatic circumstances. Instead in these mods I have to repeatedly beat a significant percentage of them into complying.

Also I hate it when I give orders to my team and something trivial like a civilian causes them to hold position and completely ignore the previous orders. Also having to tell them to follow me each and every time is annoying.

In the Remake mod suspects often have two handguns. Makes very little sense. Just like the large number of suspects. For example the Fairfax mission has a briefing that clearly outlines a reclusive nut living with his mother. Not the loads of heavily armed guys that are there for no apparent reason. The weapons they often carry are overkill as well, only really befitting of the core members of the Stetchkov Syndicate and the latter missions of the original campaign.

In the Elite Force mod the scoring system is erratic. A suspect can point his gun at a civilian or a SWAT officer and it will count as unauthorized use of force when I shoot them. I had several instances where a suspect was firing at me, I shoot him and a message comes up on the screen saying unauthorized use of deadly force (-20). Suspects shooting at me and then pointing the gun at me or another SWAT member of civilian again, I shoot them and same story as before. This just kills the points system.

Another problem carried over from the base game is the killing potential of some rounds and the errational damage that seems to be quite random. Some rounds like the 5.7mm are underpowered. Yes the round is more narrow than the 9mm, but it's longer and due to it's design has the same tendency to tumble inside the body as the 556 has which makes it at least as effective since it's a much longer projectile than the 9mm. The .45 was considered to be more of a manstopper against both armored and unarmored opponents than the 9mm, but with 9mm +P+ rounds this really isn't the case anymore either. Regardless of the caliber sometimes rounds do more damage against the same type of armor (or unarmored) than other times. Same gun, type of round and body armor on the target and the effects will be wildly different. All shots to the torso.

I like the Elite Force mod better. It doesn't feature countless unrealistic weapons and attachments (suppressors on ARs and SMGs, ACOGs on SMGs). It builds up the weapon arsenal nicely by first giving only a few handguns and shotguns, though one or two more LTL weapons from the start would be nice. Also Remake has stutter that seems connected to the sound. I thought it might have been just me, but I noticed it in your videos as well. I also like how it does some things for me, most noticably AI reporting restrained subjects rather than me having to do it.

I love the wand in Elite, usable in many more situations than in the regular game. The lights as well as some other visual upgrades in Remake are it's best feature right now.

Some of these gripes are left over from the original game, but that's the main point of mods imo: To address things wrong with the original game and to add features. SSF is still the best SWAT4 mod at this point imo.

• Like 1

Pepperspray has no effect in EF on anyone. I can spray the entire can and there is zero reaction.

In Remake suspects and civilians wear the same clothing in some missions. Unless those civilians came to work in full combat gear it seems a little strange.

The team AI in both mods is rather unpleasant. When faced with a non-cooperative civilian they'll stay focused on that even if a real threat pops up.

Also the "friendly fire = gunned down by the rest of the team" should go. It will get you into serious trouble and quite possibly kicked from the unit, but unless you're obviously doing it on purpose you'll never be turned into cheese by your own team. I wouldn't mind it so much if it happened when one of my rounds ends up in the back of the head of one of my team mates, but when it's a flashbang that goes off a little too close to a team member who is otherwise unaffected it sucks, especially as for me it happened right near the end of one of the most difficult missions in the game.

Guy pulls out a handgun. I shoot him. "Unauthorized use of force (-5)". If you pull out a handgun in front of American police officers you're dead. The team AI has no such limitations. Send them into a room of suspects and it'll result in all suspects laying on the ground each and every time in a mere second or two. I can understand putting more emphasis on arresting people rather than injuring them, but the only thing that this approach will do coupled with the aggression of suspects being really just a desire for 3/4 suspects to go out via suicide-by-cop in real life is getting a lot of officers killed. That might happen in a lot of countries that have softer policing policies, but not the US where the police is encouraged to shoot first and ask questions later. Better safe than sorry. The unbalance between more aggressive suspects and the rigid scoring system makes it impossible to arrest people without the use of large amounts of tactical aids, and even being hit with flashbangs and such will often not make them surrender. The last thing you'd think about when hit with one of these is engaging the entire team storming in while pointing their weapon at you. That's besides being so disorientated that you'd really not be able to. Really besides tasers (usually) the old fist is the most effective LTL method right now. That just isn't right.

Also rescuing all of the civilians should be removed from every missions. A perfect mission is the stuff of fairytales, not reality. You should lose points for every dead civilian, but instantly failing a mission is nonsense.

I'm in agreement with that and indeed elite force is a decent hole plugger but that said, I play 3 and 4 a decent amount and honestly by far still enjoy and am more impressed by SWAT 3 than 4. 

I notice the civilians may run around for a moment but as soon as an officer raises his weapon and yells at them they comply. And the way they clear the rooms cover all angles ect, big fan of 3 :)

• Like 1