klamacz

AI Driving - Feedback topic

Dear developers,

I must say ARMA3 is a huge leap from ARMA2 and very enjoyable, were it not for one mood issue: AI driving. Groups with only one vehicle move fine on the various maps.
However, convoy driving with two vehicles staying together, not to mention convoy of 4 or more cars/trucks etc. is really poor. That was certainly much better in ARMA2.

Since it is quite obvious that ARMA3 remain be the key BIS sim in this line for a few years with addons still coming out regularly, is there any chance to get this topic revisited?

Particularly the AI vehicles bumping often into static objects, other vehs is quite annoying. Better preplanning would be nice, and more steady formation keeping/driving.
Also, eliminating those events where a crash between (PhysX?) objects at specific angles will lead to vehicles being flung around weiredly, or pushed below ground/launched skywards would help much to mitigate poor driving.

• Like 2

AI vehicles get stuck in players bases, specialy if players make their base in streets.

Most of the buildings are simple objects. May be AI don't see simple objects?

With better computers we have today, AI driving have more room to be improved?

The ai vehicle aspect; be it cars, convoys, helos and planes have been left in a desolate place by BI. I consider arma 3 not a single player game anymore because the most basic vehicle tasks cannot reliably be performed by the ai, its aggrevating and frustrating.

• Like 2

You might try this mod collection at it improved AI driving substantially, with the only caveat that you can sometimes walk through vehicles and the enemy won't dismount and shoot you or try to run you over... yet.  And I'm still working out some bugs and trying to improve the combo.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rMjgj4mtEF89RvGmwwuet9RyhxO15ysE/view?usp=sharing

For the love of God and all that is holy, BIS ... sort your bloody reversing tank crap !  You set an order to go forward and the tank does this wiggling reverse dance for about 30 seconds.  Worst programming ever ... seriously!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2021 at 10:51 PM, Sparker said:

Hi, I've just had an idea - ensure that you are passing the correct coordinates to the function. There are various types of them (ASL, ATL, ...), maybe you are just giving wrong coordinate type, which works as expected over terrain but not over water? Unfortunately the setDriveOnPath page doesn't state which coordinate system it uses, but you can try some others.

Belive me i know that and i try many options and nothing works good. The best effect was when i use buoy ship without any crew and i move it by addforce commands - it could be even able to leave harbour with simulation of  side thrust engines - but it cause main problem - there was no ai and no player crew places - i even pass this with attachto and input actions but it is not right way specially for MP using. Maybe i will be still alive when those functions will be added to arma 3 or in 4.

Hi folks

This thread looks quite deserted already but I can't resist to add another rant on the top of the pile 😅

I've bought Arma 3 Ultimate Edition from Steam some times ago. I didn't have strong expectations from a 10+ years old game - I had played A2 in the past (shortly before A3 was released) and keeped a great memory of it, so I mainly downloaded A3 in confidence it will be at least as good as the previous release.

Well, it's certainly a game with huge qualities but the AI is a massive issue. Infantry is not that bad (especially with some popular mods added) but vehicles are buggy as hell. I read some of the posts here and I'm not sure if it is because of the "convoy" issue ; nevertheless, any SP mission including AI-driven vehicles has a fair chance (more than 50/50) to break immersion or, even more simply, to definitively block you from achieving objectives.

I've gone through most of the official/vanilla campaign "The East Wind" but the last few missions ("New Dawn" and "Moral Fiber" especially), which are introducing AI driving mechanics into the game, are mostly unplayable because of the erratic behavior of allied vehicles.

And before anyone calls me out, I'm not picky here. I understand A3 is a huge sandbox, with lots of randomization and space for unexpected events. More than once I had to restart a mission because of some caveats in the scripting - which didn't disturb me that much since it was happening in complex scenarios with lots to process. Still - vehicles AI are just broken. At their very best, they know to follow a road and turn at the intersection. Everything else is a challenge : any off-road will finish in silly trajectories ; vehicles following each other are prone to lost themselves ; APC (and maybe other) often block in front of an obstacle (like a wall or something) and won't achieve to deviate from it. And I'm not even talking about the "combat" driving, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever (most often : the AI will crash into a wall and wait for you to RPG it 🤗)

I found those issues really disappointing since I bought the game mainly for SP (no time for MP) and with the idea to play with full-scale military simulation (which A3 does really, really well on other aspects !).

So... yeah, don't pay 100€ for SP while this issue isn't resolved. It's quite a deal breaker IMHO and I'm so sad to see BI don't intend to fix it 😩

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 11:25 PM, webkawa said:

Hi folks

This thread looks quite deserted already but I can't resist to add another rant on the top of the pile 😅

I've bought Arma 3 Ultimate Edition from Steam some times ago. I didn't have strong expectations from a 10+ years old game - I had played A2 in the past (shortly before A3 was released) and keeped a great memory of it, so I mainly downloaded A3 in confidence it will be at least as good as the previous release.

Well, it's certainly a game with huge qualities but the AI is a massive issue. Infantry is not that bad (especially with some popular mods added) but vehicles are buggy as hell. I read some of the posts here and I'm not sure if it is because of the "convoy" issue ; nevertheless, any SP mission including AI-driven vehicles has a fair chance (more than 50/50) to break immersion or, even more simply, to definitively block you from achieving objectives.

I've gone through most of the official/vanilla campaign "The East Wind" but the last few missions ("New Dawn" and "Moral Fiber" especially), which are introducing AI driving mechanics into the game, are mostly unplayable because of the erratic behavior of allied vehicles.

And before anyone calls me out, I'm not picky here. I understand A3 is a huge sandbox, with lots of randomization and space for unexpected events. More than once I had to restart a mission because of some caveats in the scripting - which didn't disturb me that much since it was happening in complex scenarios with lots to process. Still - vehicles AI are just broken. At their very best, they know to follow a road and turn at the intersection. Everything else is a challenge : any off-road will finish in silly trajectories ; vehicles following each other are prone to lost themselves ; APC (and maybe other) often block in front of an obstacle (like a wall or something) and won't achieve to deviate from it. And I'm not even talking about the "combat" driving, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever (most often : the AI will crash into a wall and wait for you to RPG it 🤗)

I found those issues really disappointing since I bought the game mainly for SP (no time for MP) and with the idea to play with full-scale military simulation (which A3 does really, really well on other aspects !).

So... yeah, don't pay 100€ for SP while this issue isn't resolved. It's quite a deal breaker IMHO and I'm so sad to see BI don't intend to fix it 😩

Your observations are truly right - from my 20 years experience with OFP and ARMA is only 1 conclusion AI as far as it is not so flexible as player in for example path finding and obstacle pass will be problematic - ARMA is from this side for playing MP PvP and AI is used as battle meat and something to fill surrounding :). Techniques like hedless clients is some solution but even this not solve main problems of AI algorythms for driving of vehicles.

• Like 1

Nun 7 Jahre später... Wann lernt die KI endlich eine vernünftige 3 Punktwendung, wenn sie auf ein Hindernis trifft ???

3 hours ago, Kolben Karl said:

Nun 7 Jahre später... Wann lernt die KI endlich eine vernünftige 3 Punktwendung, wenn sie auf ein Hindernis trifft ??? 

Welcome on forum.

https://forums.bohemia.net/guidelines/

Write in English or use a translator to let something like:

Now 7 years later... When will the AI finally learn a reasonable 3 point turn when hitting an obstacle?

You're right. No dev took time to reverse the turn after a rear motion and before the next forward attempt. So, AI countless tries to hit the same obstacle at (almost) the same place.

8 hours ago, pierremgi said:

You're right. No dev took time to reverse the turn after a rear motion and before the next forward attempt. So, AI countless tries to hit the same obstacle at (almost) the same place.

I think what might actually help is to delay the forwarding attempt. I have often observed that the AI tries to move the steering but since they almost at the same time drive forward, it usually doesn't give any result except for ramming the same obstacle again. Adding a small delay between moving the steering wheel and driving forward might help with that, although I am not sure that the two actions can be separated.