klamacz

AI Driving - Feedback topic

4 hours ago, 2nd ranger said:

This is one of the biggest problems I see with driving AI; they are terrible at passing vehicles on the road in front of them. Here, two AI vehicles have waypoints to drive down the road. A static technical is in their path. They manage to pass him once, but then...

It highlights another glaring issue, which is that vehicles blow up way too easily. You don't hear of too many minor traffic accidents ending in explosions.

It's so hilarious if it wasn't actually sad. What's worse is the actual randomness in how it acts even on the most basic, predictable A to B scenario.

You could reinstall OPF, see the same random crap and notice it's 2017.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Yeah, this is really frustrating. Pour hours into making a mission for your community, it runs fine on local host, runs fine on the test server, but on the day of the mission the AI decides it wants to do something else and then people complain about the mission is broken.

I've also had AH-9 Hummingbirds refuse to land correctly from run to run.

BTW, i may have mentioned this before but Malden 2035's roads are buggy in general, especially for tracked vehicles. There are certain sections (seemingly randomly placed, but repeatably glitchy) that cause vehicles to stop, or go into an infinite 8-loop on the spot.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2017 at 12:19 PM, SuicideKing said:

Yeah, this is really frustrating. Pour hours into making a mission for your community, it runs fine on local host, runs fine on the test server, but on the day of the mission the AI decides it wants to do something else and then people complain about the mission is broken.

I've also had AH-9 Hummingbirds refuse to land correctly from run to run.

BTW, i may have mentioned this before but Malden 2035's roads are buggy in general, especially for tracked vehicles. There are certain sections (seemingly randomly placed, but repeatably glitchy) that cause vehicles to stop, or go into an infinite 8-loop on the spot.

Yeah, I just played ArmA 1 again yesterday and found the AI on Sahrani drives better than ArmA 3.

• Like 1

Ive been impressed with the new AI driving and it has come along way.

However ive almost noticed in nearly every community made vehicle the AI struggles and often gets stuck making three point turns, in BIS vehicles they do this manoeuvre beautifully.

Is this due to some of the settings in the AICarSteeringComponent class? Is there a practical guide for mod makers how to tweak these values?

Mack

On 12/22/2017 at 11:22 AM, Mack. said:

ive almost noticed in nearly every community made vehicle the AI struggles and often gets stuck making three point turns, in BIS vehicles they do this manoeuvre beautifully.

Is this due to some of the settings in the AICarSteeringComponent class? Is there a practical guide for mod makers how to tweak these values?

I'm curious about this also.

On 12/22/2017 at 5:22 PM, Mack. said:

However ive almost noticed in nearly every community made vehicle the AI struggles and often gets stuck making three point turns, in BIS vehicles they do this manoeuvre beautifully.

I've seen even BI vehicles get stuck - seems to depend a lot on the map. Tanoa and Malden seem to pose the most difficulties...

What I see is that mainly CUP  and RHS tanks using kinda water ski slalom style of pathfinding beside the streets - maybe the addons need to be adapted to the "new" tweaks made by BIS.

The rest stays the same:

- BIS vehicles always find the single, lonely rock in a wide field and flip over or stuck on it

- every lamp post or house corner is a welcome sex parnter for allways-horny BIS vehicles for rub their iron testicles for minutes

- new is that crew has a much longer delay before following waypoint commands - don't know if intended to be more realistic of if this is just an unintended bug

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I seem to notice that vehicles also like to rub themselves (non-) sexually (?) on the ground. Not only cars, but also helicopters for instance when trying to land. It seems they want to hit a very exact location to achieve waypoint completion. The bigger the vehicle the worse it gets: for instance Blackfish or any big truck. This small waypoint radius effect was not present in earlier versions of ai driving.

12 hours ago, SuicideKing said:

I've seen even BI vehicles get stuck - seems to depend a lot on the map. Tanoa and Malden seem to pose the most difficulties...

I find on simpler maps like the CUP OFP islands the AI is ok.

I agree its not perfect and eventually they find a way of getting stuck.

The fact that we are still desperate for the following fixes in 2018 is just mindblowing to me.

1. AI that has the ability to drive over a bridge.  Who knew this was some god like ability by AI, seen only in our dreams?  

2. Multi-vehicle groups that can navigate without looking like some deranged bumper car deathmatch.  Watching a 4 Tank Platoon drive/navigate in ANY kind of terrain...even wide open grasslands...is both hilarious and sad as they smash into each other and bounce around like beach balls.  It's atrocious.

3. AI Trucks/cars that don't run over or back up onto infantry.  AI infantry that don't stand in the middle of a road like a deer in headlights.

I love this game, but as a long time mission maker, very very simple things like these can make you pull your hair out just setting up basic scenarios.  

• Like 5

Hey

After TacOpsDLC update, the AI drivers are not able to use movement by means of waypoints in the editor.

If player uses move -waypoint, then the AI-drivers is not moving in general!

I hope the @BIS, you is knows about this problem. Please fix this, as soon possible, because many mission with vehicles are broken

PS: At such times, player can understand that it is better to have a stupid but traveling AI-driver,  than an AI-driver who is not able to move at all.  Lol!:don9:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mickeymen said:

After TacOpsDLC update, the AI drivers are not able to use movement by means of waypoints in the editor.

If player uses move -waypoint, then the AI-drivers is not moving in general!

Could you upload a repro mission on the feedback tracker, perhaps? I've not seen this issue so far.

10 minutes ago, SuicideKing said:

Could you upload a repro mission on the feedback tracker, perhaps?

just open the editor, put the AI tank and give it a move waypoint! It will not move! I use slammer tank

ps I am not alone in this matter, as I have already seen on the Internet (youtube) messages about this

Already reported this back in the days. Only happens to tracked vehicles, and apparently it doesn't happen to every player. Fixed it for me with reworking my missions, using scripted solutions now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mickeymen said:

just open the editor, put the AI tank and give it a move waypoint! It will not move! I use slammer tank

ps I am not alone in this matter, as I have already seen on the Internet (youtube) messages about this

They are moving! ;)

Sure they will not win a war like this. Btw, thanks BI for AI's commanding order improvements while player is not driver, but please remove the endless dialog right-stop left-stop. It's boring. Just let forward-stop (real stop) - backward and skip left/right/stop directional order.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, D_Donskoy said:

They are moving! ;)

Try again with multiple waypoints in a setup like mine. It simply does *not* work (always, for everyone). I can 100% reproduce the behavior in my videos posted above. The outcome is always the same.

• Like 2

It seems like some waypoints are never completed, regardless of distance or condition (true by default). The vehicle stays "unitready" false.

In other words, some waypoints completion conditions are never checked.

37 minutes ago, lexx said:

Try again with multiple waypoints in a setup like mine. It simply does *not* work (always, for everyone). I can 100% reproduce the behavior in my videos posted above. The outcome is always the same.

You're right.

I notice this with some vehicles with mounted troops. I place a default mechanized group and set a few move waypoints on the map.

At mission start they all "get in" the vehicle and move to all waypoints.

However, if I manually move all infantry into cargo before mission start ( to save time) the vehicle just sits there forever. If i place just 1 soldier from group outside the vehicle, he will get in at mission start, then the vehicle moves. Odd..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexx said:

Try again with multiple waypoints in a setup like mine.

for me it does not work in any cases. With one waypoint or several at a time. I even tried switching to the next waypoint using Trigger, but this will not work. My experience shows that after TacOps DLC, the AI-driver does not understand the movement waypoints in general

12 hours ago, mickeymen said:

for me it does not work in any cases. With one waypoint or several at a time. I even tried switching to the next waypoint using Trigger, but this will not work. My experience shows that after TacOps DLC, the AI-driver does not understand the movement waypoints in general

I just want to confirm this one.
That was one of the reasons, that i unistalled the game for now. Waypoints dosent work in eden editor (even simple ones like MOVE), and also i can't command my subordinates - They don't respond to any commands, just simply they follow me (happens just in eden editor).

...But i think it occasiolnaly occured before TAC OPS update (maybe a fault of old my CPU Q6600?).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xwaamá said:

I just want to confirm this one.
That was one of the reasons, that i unistalled the game for now. Waypoints dosent work in eden editor (even simple ones like MOVE), and also i can't command my subordinates - They don't respond to any commands, just simply they follow me (happens just in eden editor).

Exactly

Also. If you are the commander of vehicle (and this vehicle has currently waypoint) and order the AI-driver in the action menu - Move to Next Waypoint, this will not work. This is proved by the fact that AI does not see any waypoints

8 hours ago, xwaamá said:

...But i think it occasiolnaly occured before TAC OPS update (maybe a fault of old my CPU Q6600?).

Hmmm. I have doubts. At least I noticed this only after TacOps.