klamacz

AI Driving - Feedback topic

2 hours ago, Johnny Drama said:

I demanded that the guy who is responsible to the long term strategy to be fired like couple years ago already.(fastest forum ban in my life) 

Im pretty sure many Devs would love to fix arma but there is this guy or this group of people who is pushing to milk the most money out of everyone asap instead of providing a solid engine that returns steady profits for decades.

And ARMA is dieing a slow and painful death. RIP. Mark my words: In 5-10 years, BIS, EA and Ubisoft will be on the same level of consumer exploitation.

Johnny Drama..the name fits anyway.. You just keep popping up in our moderation reports. 

Regardless of what you say here, you are in no position to "demand" anything-especially having someone lose their job. 

You mention being banned from the forum-well, today is you lucky day-I'm not going to ban you....But I am suspending you. See you in 30 days ;)

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Johnny Drama said:

Im pretty sure many Devs would love to fix arma but there is this guy or this group of people who is pushing to milk the most money out of everyone asap instead of providing a solid engine that returns steady profits for decades.

Since it'll take you thirty days before you can reply I'll offer this alternative: Bohemia's got people working on "providing a solid engine that returns steady profit for decades" but the time needed for it to be 'solid' would make it years too late to (directly) help Arma 3, not least because of how much modding will be impacted by the community-wide need to relearn scripting 'all over again'.

13 hours ago, lato190 said:

So i switched to GTA V and im happy and have more fun with it than with ArmA. so there is no point for me to keep ArmA installed.

4bUV7Ls.gif

• Like 14

Coming back to actual AI Driving: It sure would be nice to get an update from a BIS dev on how much additional work we can expect to see on AI driving (if any at all). It's a very different scenario for e.g. potential modders to know that a feature will be revisited in 2-3 updates compared to a feature that BIS considers "done" which might stay stable for long periods of time.

• Like 2

This is regarding the Topic, not that somehow misplaced discussion about the marketing strategy from BIS.

Would it be possible to implement an engine solution to 'collect' the planned route?

I could imagine that a lot of community projects could/would benefit from exact routes the AI will take.

Personly I must have written multiple workarounds the predict the route of a vehicle but with somehow limited precision.

Regards and keep up the good work :)

Ok I can't keep it to myself :down:

The arma ai does have some flaws, maybe some huge flaws. BUT as hard as I try, I have never ever seen an AI that can adept so well to any situation. Most of the time an AI is way more limited, or scripted. 

Check the Wiki for UnitCapture and UnitPlay. If you want a unit to follow an exact route, then there's this. It does require you to record it yourself, though, and I'm not sure if it works in multiplayer at all.

1 minute ago, dragon01 said:

Check the Wiki for UnitCapture and UnitPlay. If you want a unit to follow an exact route, then there's this. It does require you to record it yourself, though, and I'm not sure if it works in multiplayer at all.

It does work in Multiplayer, but I don't want to predefined a route, I want to an possibility to find out the route react to it. I can't possibly predefined all routes any vehicle could take from any point.

• Like 1

Will there be any improvement about tanks? In current stable branch they are not aware that they have a turret at all!
In cities they are hitting their turrets to buildings, power lines etc. and getting either stuck or rolled over..

• Like 2

Hi BIS!

One of the main problems of AI driving continues, the fact that AI drivers crushes their allies! Unfortunately, hardly anyone speaks about it, especially in this thread. Why are there such units as the Mechanized / motorized group in the game? This clearly was not added in order for AI drivers to crush their subordinates. However, in most cases, AI drivers of these groups will kill their subordinates, better than the enemy will do! LOL!

As it seems to me, every allied infantry unit, must have a virtual-invisible avoidance capsule/sphere. This should have a larger size, than the owner object itself, on contact with which, the AI -driver should slow its speed to a minimum. In turn, the land-vehicle could also have such an invisible avoidance capsule/sphere, on contact with which the AI infantryman, would have to leave this dangerous radius.

Along with AI driving, this problem should also be taken into account. Please consider this problem!

• Like 2

vanilla tanks dont have collision for their barrel. RHS vehicles do last i checked and have some very quirky behaviour due to it sometimes.

Issue is that turret drive have no torque limit. Player turns turret, barrel collides. RL: barrel gets damaged, turret drive not powerfull enough to keep turning. A3: turret keeps turning, hull of tank gets turned and can glitch out violently.

Vanilla game.

*sigh*

Maybe I should abandon authoring MP with AI missions and make a life mission?

• Like 1

Such situation would need a different design in general, like

* Infantry moving aside

* Vehicle stopping for a while

* (More) prediction of other actors nearby

Perhaps I'm looking at it too simplistically, kju, but is it too much to expect an AI driver to not run someone down, reverse back over him and run him down again?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, .kju said:

Such situation would need a different design in general, like

* Infantry moving aside

* Vehicle stopping for a while

* (More) prediction of other actors nearby

Yeah, there needs to be some sort of mute communication between actors. Infantry needs to move aside, especially since they are on the road. Vehicles should use their horns if there is something in the way, and even animals should react to that (but then, animals react to nothing not even gunfire).

The worst part is that all of that information is available in game, it would just take work to connect the dots :|

• Like 2

Speaking of AI driving, why is it that a convoy of allied vehicles always tries to turn around towards their origin if they get shot at?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

Vanilla game.

*sigh*

Maybe I should abandon authoring MP with AI missions and make a life mission?

AI doesnt sell DLCs ;)

more profitable to create a few new assets and some nice new HUD systems, than to fix/improve the AI. For instance the dev assigned to work on the AI driving was re-assigned to the Tanks DLC

we have had a good run with arma, I have few real complaints. I would have enjoyed more effort put into the AI, and improved AI driving (the car driving is worse now than 1 year ago), but the team has covered a lot of ground and I am more or less satisfied with how arma3 project turned out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

AI doesnt sell DLCs ;)

more profitable to create a few new assets and some nice new HUD systems, than to fix/improve the AI. For instance the dev assigned to work on the AI driving was re-assigned to the Tanks DLC

we have had a good run with arma, I have few real complaints. I would have enjoyed more effort put into the AI, and improved AI driving (the car driving is worse now than 1 year ago), but the team has covered a lot of ground and I am more or less satisfied with how arma3 project turned out.

Well, my hope is that they are working on better pathfinding for tanks, in and out of formation. Because right now, the behaviour is just horrendous.

7 minutes ago, R3vo said:

Well, my hope is that they are working on better pathfinding for tanks, in and out of formation. Because right now, the behaviour is just horrendous.

Presumably the pathfinding for tracked vehicles isn't terribly different for wheeled?

26 minutes ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

AI doesnt sell DLCs ;)

That's very disappointing. So we're stuck with the lunatic drivers for some time then?

Who says the Tank DLC and therefore the dev working on AI can't bring us better pathfinding? 

Right, no one. ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

AI doesnt sell DLCs ;)

Oh come on, do we really need to go there? There has been a lot of work being done on the AI driving, and yes there are flaws but please acknowledge that this isn't about selling DLC. They're doing a shitload of unpaid work, and I think a bit more acknowledgement of that is justified.

If Klamacz has been moved from this issue to DLC, surely the criticism is valid?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Honest question: BIS devs are unpaid?

That's not what he meant and you know that.