klamacz

AI Driving - Feedback topic

From today's changelog:

• Tweaked: AI now turns on the lights in vehicles a bit earlier
  • Tweaked: Turning commands for AI drivers have been optimized
  • Tweaked: The ability to get unstuck was improved for the AI drivers

Thanks all for your feedback

• Like 7

This is SO frustrating! If you command them to halt and then you disembark the halt command should stay true. They shouldn't decide on their own to form up with you just because you got out of the vehicle. As it is now, you must quickly command halt again once you get out or be driven over. I use a voice command software, so I can command it fairly quickly, but I should not have to issue it a second time! Thank you for bringing that up.

Yeah, they do that to stay in formation. A real pain to always have to squint at the small unit pictures and figure out who the driver is and issue Stop! to him after getting out

One comment I have about AI driving, is when you are the commander of a vehicle and get out, the driver will try to get into formation with you. This means that very frequently the drive will kill you as he turns and runs you over. I find it more than a little frustrating.  

Happens all the time, In  the past I've used the getout evenhandler to halt the vehicle but if it has waypoints it's not easy to get it to continue.

Units in the vehicle should somehow be removed from the formation unless ordered to follow.  

I havent tested this yet but very happy to hear dev team`s focus on this. My scenarios heavily depend on AI driving. 

Quick question... How would I force an AI squad member to drive at a slow speed? Would putting forceSpeed in his init field force him to drive at the specified speed on any vehicle he is ordered to drive?

Answer: Tested this a few minutes ago and works like a charm. I defined two radio triggers, to forcespeed to 10 and 40. When my AI driver approaches tight spots (towns, turns, etc), I order him to slow down (forcespeed to 10). When we pass the spot, I tell him to speed up. Using this in combination with WW AIMenu by Windwalking (ability to define multiple waypoints) is almost perfect. And all these without the new AI driving code :) Hopefully it will get even better with the new code. 

Major issue, ticket here.

In a nutshell, AI vehicles will not move if the team leader is also the driver. For single units this is fine, and if the team leader is not the driver, it works as well, but as soon as the team leader is also the driver, the engine will start, the leader will wiggle the steering wheel a bit, but will not move at all. This is also true for wheeled APC's.

For tracked vehicles, everything works as expected.

I was always pissed off about AI driving and how it was at the bottom of BI list,but I'm also glad that devs are trying to improve&fix this aspect which lets face it it plagued these games from OFP era.Like others,my missions involve lots of tracked/wheeled action and having decent AI is the difference between

and "goddammit give that AI a medal for not screwing up".

I just hope this also extends a bit to AI crashing..I mean flying attack choppers.An AI that could at least hover would reduce my bill of purchasing new choppas.

• Like 1

Major issue, ticket here.

In a nutshell, AI vehicles will not move if the team leader is also the driver. For single units this is fine, and if the team leader is not the driver, it works as well, but as soon as the team leader is also the driver, the engine will start, the leader will wiggle the steering wheel a bit, but will not move at all. This is also true for wheeled APC's.

For tracked vehicles, everything works as expected.

Seems to happen 30% of the time for me even if there is just a driver.

Also what is the default completion radius set  to, I have two waypoints 120 meters apart wp1 - wp2  and the vehicle is turning  from wp1 directly to wp3 without moving to wp2, but the hint placed in the trigger of wp2 displays so it is completing.

if I move wp2 further away it does drive right up to wp2.

Using the Virtual map so nothing is getting in the way.

1. Need way to force driver to only use road and not find shortcut through field, for civilian 'traffic' vehicles. I wish I could communicate to the driver to let him know if his wheel touches grass he will be terminated

• Like 1

1. Need way to force driver to only use road and not find shortcut through field, for civilian 'traffic' vehicles. I wish I could communicate to the driver to let him know if his wheel touches grass he will be terminated

Isn't exactly that done with setting behavior to "careless"?

please do not forget boats.

When close to shore AI like to go forwards rather than reverse when navigating, resulting in them riding up onto the beach most of the time. Effectively removing the boat from the mission which can wreck some plans entirely.

• Like 4

please do not forget boats.

When close to shore AI like to go forwards rather than reverse when navigating, resulting in them riding up onto the beach most of the time. Effectively removing the boat from the mission which can wreck some plans entirely.

Totally agreed. What would be cool, is AI preparing the boat for departure immediately after unloading its cargo (in A3 waypoint terms).

Like, parking up the boat in reverse, so you don't have to maneuver / spin 180deg when heading back to the sea.

Totally agreed. What would be cool, is AI preparing the boat for departure immediately after unloading its cargo (in A3 waypoint terms).

Like, parking up the boat in reverse, so you don't have to maneuver / spin 180deg when heading back to the sea.

But that would mean, if you need the boats firesupport, you would only have the rear gun right after landing.

What we really need instead, is a "driver orient" command - working the same way as "watch direction" command. In fact, "watch direction" could have double functionality for vehicledrivers that cause them to orient the vehicle to the desired direction.

• Like 4

But that would mean, if you need the boats firesupport, you would only have the rear gun right after landing.

What we really need instead, is a "driver orient" command - working the same way as "watch direction" command. In fact, "watch direction" could have double functionality for vehicledrivers that cause them to orient the vehicle to the desired direction.

Would be a +1 for me,if put in place!    There is a lot of boats comming very soon to arma,to judje from the mods in the works.

Some way to add a new guy to/as a assets mannager/be able to order aircraft to launch from decks or shore bombardments where ships need to drive there,as you can hide anything on Tanoa .

Some way to add a Fire mission wp on the fly is needed.

The most pressing issue with boats is that they get stuck with the first contact the boat's hull makes with the bottom. That will make both the AI and player boat drivers lives a whole lot easier.

In my test with 2 HMG Hunters and HEMTT, with truck in the middle,

the last vehicle was very slow hitting everything during any turn

and the truck was sometimes just driving off road for no reason like the AI didn't know there was a road

Please change the handbrake to press the spacebar.

In all games it is so, all people are used to it.

The action may still confirm via Enter or Middle button.

Thank you.

Please change the handbrake to press the spacebar.
In all games it is so, all people are used to it.
The action may still confirm via Enter or Middle button.

Thank you.

1. There's no handbrake.

2. Would conflict with the current interaction system

3. Wrong topic

4. Why bold and large font?

As for the AI changes: Never dreamed of an actual, seeable improvement in this area. Thank you so much! :)

1. There's no handbrake.

3. Wrong topic

As for the AI changes: Never dreamed of an actual, seeable improvement in this area. Thank you so much! :)

There is handbrake Lax - its under X key. But user can change it to space - i see no problem.

1. There's no handbrake.

There is a brake key, CTRL by default I think.

1. There's no handbrake.

3. Wrong topic

Yes, is it, press X.

But he handbrake have on spacebar is modern.

Sometimes this can happen that you accidentally press the spacebar to throw you out of the car while driving (accept action get out).

And by the way, try doing drifts with key X. :)

@Dreip Just change it in your own settings. Don't see why this needs to be changed to default, especially since so many people are already used to it on Ctrl(or X apparently)

Just a heads up, the issue discussed in this thread seems to be related to AI driving improvements (mods can merge if they see it fit):
https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/191878-can-not-pass-mission-in-boot-camp-latest-dev-branch-damage-control/

I'd consider this an important issue, it seems that AI isn't respecting waypoint restrictions properly.

A question will there be way to tweak the AI drivers so that a tank can drive in a direct straight path even if objects are in their way?

A question will there be way to tweak the AI drivers so that a tank can drive in a direct straight path even if objects are in their way?

Or drive by the road, just ignore configured obstacles (empty cars, enemy infantry / vehs, etc.).