klamacz

AI Driving - Feedback topic

Same here.

its weird though... its not totally broken... it just needs a reset... if you order the driver to disembark and get back in can you then give the waypoint again or move again... i could using the move command and the map click

As far as the actual pathfinding and driving goes, I think there's been a very significant improvement. In my ambient civilian driving scripts I've always had code to slow AI cars to a minimum speed around buildings and other AI to prevent total carnage to themselves, others and the environment. With the new routines I've been able to remove this restriction and the AI are coping very well for the most part - no placebo! I think this a very good start, and thanks for introducing it devs. 

• Like 3

As far as the actual pathfinding and driving goes, I think there's been a very significant improvement. In my ambient civilian driving scripts I've always had code to slow AI cars to a minimum speed around buildings and other AI to prevent total carnage to themselves, others and the environment. With the new routines I've been able to remove this restriction and the AI are coping very well for the most part - no placebo! I think this a very good start, and thanks for introducing it devs. 

Care to share a video? I'd love to see a sprawling AI traffic in an Arma town (which is true rarity, no doubt :)).

Not something I've tested on dev branch, but it's related to AI driving on 1.60 so I'll mention it here:

They tend to run over people walking in front of them.

Example scenario - I have an IFV and and infantry squad patrolling along a single lane road. When set to "SAFE", infantry walks on the road and IFV naturally takes the road too. Now, the IFV does exactly nothing to avoid running over the infantry in front of it, so half the squad dies in the process.

I've noticed that under some circumstances the vehicle stops a bit for infantry in its path, but the usual result is to run over some of them.

Simpler solution may be to make infantry walk on the boundaries of all roads. I want to say that the vehicles should drive around infantry, but it may be more realistic (and reliable) to make the vehicle stop, horn, make infantry get out of the way (upon hearing horn), and the vehicle to resume its course. Infantry can then get back on their waypoint route. Maybe this would work only in "CARELESS" or "SAFE" behaviour modes.

• Like 1

Not something I've tested on dev branch, but it's related to AI driving on 1.60 so I'll mention it here:

They tend to run over people walking in front of them.

Example scenario - I have an IFV and and infantry squad patrolling along a single lane road. When set to "SAFE", infantry walks on the road and IFV naturally takes the road too. Now, the IFV does exactly nothing to avoid running over the infantry in front of it, so half the squad dies in the process.

I've noticed that under some circumstances the vehicle stops a bit for infantry in its path, but the usual result is to run over some of them.

Simpler solution may be to make infantry walk on the boundaries of all roads. I want to say that the vehicles should drive around infantry, but it may be more realistic (and reliable) to make the vehicle stop, horn, make infantry get out of the way (upon hearing horn), and the vehicle to resume its course. Infantry can then get back on their waypoint route. Maybe this would work only in "CARELESS" or "SAFE" behaviour modes.

Very great, but read first post please, and watch the videos posted here. Its more or less fixed. I wonder, if this be ever applied to tracked vehicles.

Here's another video. I used the Tanoa mine as a race track and let 4 AIs race around it. Works very well.

Video:

Mission:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6h90097fu6xlwll/pathFinding_2.Tanoa.zip?dl=0

One thing I really like is, that the AI does not slow down at every waypoint. They seems to calculate the path before reaching the waypoint and just continue.

• Like 2

AWESOME work.

Any chance to teach AI How to swim on Striders, Marshall, Gorgon etc?

Suggestion: Please add currently status for command bar when AI find best path
Example: "Find best path"
After end of travel AI must say "End of best travel, Use BI PathFinding in Future, Sincerely AI Driver" or alternative variants. Because now AI silent as a fish!

• Like 1

AI is much better, however I found that when my driver knocked down a picket fence, he was unable to drive over it !  He just kept turning the wheel but not moving.

AWESOME work.

Any chance to teach AI How to swim on Striders, Marshall, Gorgon etc?

Suggestion: Please add currently status for command bar when AI find best path

Example: "Find best path"

After end of travel AI must say "End of best travel, Use BI PathFinding in Future, Sincerely AI Driver" or alternative variants. Because now AI silent as a fish!

I was under the assumption that the chosen path was related to the awareness of the unit?

'Safe': main roads are taken (fastest)

'Aware': short(er) route

'Combat': A-B in straight line

Tested it, doesn't seem to be the case...

Suggestion to make 'safe' have the AI follow the roads nicely (no cutting corners, respecting place on the road), 'aware' cutting corners if necessary to maintain vehicle speed, and 'combat' driving in a straight line to the waypoint only avoiding obstacles?

On Helo's Arma3Mark benchmark mission on Stratis seems to go on reverse before any other move.

The AFV convoy is a mess. :blink:

Single driver AI is very much improved. I took a different route to test:

Loaded up CUP Terrains Full Pack, Tanoa and some user maps with building addons.

Added TWP_MOD and enable civilians and parked cars.

Added Jonsie's car pack.

Added Refined Vehicles mod to fix or get by the wonky PhysX

Added Lights and Doors Mod to see vehicles for screenshots

Spawned Myself and a team member with a map.

Used simple cheat to enable Virtual Garage and picked some Rally Cars. 

Hopped in on maps and told the AI to goto Point A across the map, then to point B and sit back eating a snack.

My favorite cars - Subura STI, Mini Cooper Rally Version and Range Rover. Handled most maps like a champ with this setup.

Problems - settings almost any civilian car - BMW X6, Honda any versions has screwed up steering.

The AI drivers hop in and wildly steers left and right, then the wheels point left and stays that way.

If TPW spawns the above cars as parked, and we get into it, it also has the same issues. Might be a DEV build issue or my mods. Mililtary vehicles and most 4x4 are OK.

But the user addon cars are so fast around the map, it as like hiring a personal guide to take me on a tour. Great way to test map and AI.

Other issues, AI avoids cars, civilians and obstacles WAY TOO WIDE. While in the middle of a 2 or 1 lane road, the AI drove onto the pavement on the opposite of cars or civies or obstacles. If you scale it, they only needed a "nudge" or at less than 1/4 car width just to pass by. I know this is not GTA or Need for Speed but little tweaks like this would be good.

AI cuts the corner a lot. This is ok but to fix it, have them speed up, tap the HAND BRAKE while foot is still on the accelerator, and turning into the corner at the same time. Then let off handbrake, correct steering slightly and full throttle out of the corner. AT least they can induce a small drift in RWD to cleanly cut a corner and it would "feel" nicer, instead of sitting with some new driver.

Also, for the love of Jebus, WHY does the AI driver NEVER turn ON the headlights? I took some dusk tours just to see the map but the drivers must have predator vision as I see  no NVG or headlights on. Can you fix this so the AI ALWAYS turns on the headlights? At least in the day we won't see it and it makes the nights more immersive.

• Like 1

Still it remains very clumsy AI to be an obstacle in their way, understand this in WIP and needs a lot of work to function well.

I see a great future if you get to work right the AI driving vehicles, imagine civilian vehicles on the roads and cities without any problem.      "Grand theft auto ARMA3" :icon_hm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37th-B-wNz4&feature=youtu.be

Well for GTA ARMA you would still need to get traffic lights to work and AI would have to learn them as well. There will never be ability to have GTA-like scenario in ARMA with fully working cars on roads with rules.. but we can still get a solid AI for basic tasks like "go from A to B" without any crash and that's what they're trying to make :).

Well for GTA ARMA you would still need to get traffic lights to work and AI would have to learn them as well. There will never be ability to have GTA-like scenario in ARMA with fully working cars on roads with rules.. but we can still get a solid AI for basic tasks like "go from A to B" without any crash and that's what they're trying to make :).

are you challenging BIS Developers?  :lol: :DWell, I understand that is too say GTA ARMA, nor such complexity in a game like ARMA necessary. :don2: :drinking: :annoy: 

• Like 1

Also, for the love of Jebus, WHY does the AI driver NEVER turn ON the headlights? I took some dusk tours just to see the map but the drivers must have predator vision as I see  no NVG or headlights on. Can you fix this so the AI ALWAYS turns on the headlights? At least in the day we won't see it and it makes the nights more immersive.

Might also be context sensitive: only in 'safe' (or 'aware') the AI will turn on the headlights...

• Like 1

Might also be context sensitive: only in 'safe' (or 'aware') the AI will turn on the headlights...

It should depend on the drivers equipment. If the driver has NVGs and is not in safe mode, the headlights should be off. If driver doesn't have NVGs, headlights should always be on, because have you ever tried to drive your car without headlights on in the dark?

• Like 2

It should depend on the drivers equipment. If the driver has NVGs and is not in safe mode, the headlights should be off. If driver doesn't have NVGs, headlights should always be on, because have you ever tried to drive your car without headlights on in the dark?

Where I live we do have street lights... ;)

Do you turn your headlights off when near a streetlight?

• Like 2

That's nice for you, most of the dirt road on Tanoa, Stratis & Altis don't have street lamps.

Very great, but read first post please, and watch the videos posted here. Its more or less fixed. I wonder, if this be ever applied to tracked vehicles.

I did, and did again. I don't see the case covered anywhere - I have a feeling there's some miscommunication here or I'm having a "bad reading comprehension" day.

Do you turn your headlights off when near a streetlight?

If I was in a situation where I'd be in danger if I attracted unnecessary attention, I would...

EDIT: Just have the AI drive painstakingly slow and remove their obstacle awareness when unequipped with NVG's. Increase/restore when in the vicinity of a light emitting source.

First of all, i'm very happy for the fix that AI (direct commanded) can now finally reverse.

There is still a big problem with direct command of the driver however: If you tap the "A" or "S" key to turn slightly, the AI performs a 15-20° turn at minimum and then turns back 15-20°. Which results in a "switch lanes" move on a road basically, when driving forward. If A3 was a highway simulator this would be usefull. But in actual Arma 3, this feature is in 99% useless and makes direct command of AI more twitchy/annoying then it has to be. Because when you tap the keys, you want to adjust vehicle orientation with _some_ sort of precision. Either to fit through somewhere, where the AI can't get through on it's own (or bugs out), or due to tactical placement (hiding behind something, orientation of vehicles with limited gun traverse (mods!)...). 

Currently, even when you stand still with a tracked vehicle, the AI does the turning back -20° issue (iirc in earlier Arma versions that would only happen during driving). Just very slowly (15 sec of constant slow irritating movement). You can try it yourself (i tested T-100 Varsuk and Moira). Sometimes it even bugs out and it keeps turning left and right indefinitely, slowly - in some cases it goes twitchy, changing turn directions very quickly.

This turning issue is especially problematic when trying to reverse (maybe you are under fire or need to retreat without exposing your rear) - as you can't command your AI to use reverse with pathfinding. Nor can you properly orientate the vehicle as the commander.

Problem when standing still demonstrated here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNOGEUDloE8

Second Problem - in some vehicles AI drives in reverse like a jerk. (See second half of video).

Thanks all for your feedback, it is invaluable.

Few things:

- turn command (how much it turns on single tap) going to be tweaked, look for patch changes early next week

- forceSpeed command actually takes m/s speed, in which differs from limitSpeed, which works in km/h
- new driving is planned to be expanded to tracked vehicles and further if it proves its worth

- currently new driving works only for cars, so tanks commanding is old routines, car commanding is new

- light switching in vehicles - depends on main light and combat mode - needs to be safe

- drivers going out of the road on few videos, it is connected with path creation and map data, we are looking for improvements here

• Like 16