vastiny

Buldozer: Cannot load texture "data\layers\s_000_002_Ico.paa"

Newbie terrain builder here - I've been following this guys tutorials on terrains, been following every part without a hitch up until now.

This is the tutorial in question (and obviously the parts that came before this part)

At around 9 minutes in, he connects to Buldozer after generating layers - if I connect to Buldozer on my end after generating layers, I get said error.

Cannot load texture "terrainnamehere\data\layers\s_000_002_Ico.paa", I can't close the window, and even if I could the entire terrain is untextured.

Now the funy thing is, I actually took a look in the data/layers folders, and the file it can't load is in fact present in the folder...

Could it have corrupted at some point during layers generation? How would I get around this type of issue?

If there's anything I should provide from my project in order to better pinpoint the problem, I'll do so

this tutorial is perfect.

what is your source satmap picture format?

.png as the tutorial instructed me to - in the generation I also of course select to convert the output to .paa  :P

1024x1024, with the appropriate settings for it in the Mapframe properties

I've deleted the entire Layers folder that it generated, and tried to regenerate them about 3 times now, this time It's complaining about "s_000_000_Ico.paa" not loading, which also sits in the Layers folder along with the others

your pic is 1024x1024 , your island is 1024 or 2048? 

if 2048 ,resize your satmap to 2048 and try again.

you can use bigger picture for smaller mapframe settings  (tested), but i dont know for smaller picture to higher mapframe settings (i never test this)

edit: what is your mapframe properties?

can you post your rasters properties?

In my source folder I have a greyscale height map png, a mask map png, and a satellite map png. Every image is 1024x1024, and everything has been set up for 1024x1024 in the Mapframe properties, not sure what I may have done wrong in there lol

9hdQovp.png

1024x1024 is too low res for a sat image, you want it to be 10240x10240. Once your done that set your sat resolution to 1mpx not 10

*edit*

Make sure your sat source image is 10240x10240 or bigger, otherwise it's going to look stretched. Don't go up scaling an image, it don't turn out good

• Like 1

Holy hell how am I supposed to make a 10240x10240 image??? That's going to kill any image editing program. Are you entirely sure of this? lol

In that case I'm going to be forced to upscale it because I don't exactly have a 10240 resolution monitor to take print screens of satellite imagery

Edit: Nevermind, didn't realize that by telling the mapframe properties to set a certain size of the imagery it would do it on it's own. Wouldn't that make the other images require upscaling the same way too?

can you post your satmap raster values? (right click on raster layer satmap and choose terrain coordinates and properties)

make sure that this layer have the same values as your island raster layer.

same for your satmask layer

edit: my satmap for faster loading is set to 2048X2048 and working fine. when i finish my job i revert it to 16384x16384 (hires pic) tested also fine but slower loading times

Just finished re-generating the layers with 10240 "Satellite source images" setting under Samplers, same issue with Buldozer still. untextured terrain and some mumbo jumbo about not being able to load a s_000_000_Ico.paa

can you post your satmap raster values? (right click on raster layer satmap and choose terrain coordinates and properties)

make sure that this layer have the same values as your island raster layer.

same for your satmask layer

All layers have the same properties input in those windows

Eastings: 200000

Northings: 0

Width: 10240

Height: 10240

Edit: Nevermind, didn't realize that by telling the mapframe properties to set a certain size of the imagery it would do it on it's own. Wouldn't that make the other images require upscaling the same way too?

Your source image needs to be 10240x10240 or bigger, if you just change the settings in terrain builder and still use a 1024x1024 image, it's just going to stretch it.

Photoshop can open 10240x10240 easy. My map sat image is 40960x40960, which is spilt into four 20480x20480 images, photoshop can open that ok as well.

You can use TerraIncognita

https://sourceforge.net/p/terraincognita2/wiki/Home/

to download sat images. If you had a program like Global mapper, that can open the sat image and line it up with you terrain and resize it. I think QGIS can as well and its free.

so, your terrain layer is northing 0 , easting 200000 , and size 10240.000

and is the same for all your layers.

also before you regenerate your sat , just delete all files in your layers folder...

Go to Arma3 Tools fodler : Delete TEMP Folder Always, ( sometimes your source folder will be in temp after crunching it wth mikerosPacker so remember that )   Delete Your LAYERS folder inside your Project Folder Always before generating new one.

And delete Logs, Ctrl+L on the arma3 tools program to find it < should be in arma3 tools folder <

This is a good program for satellite images sometimes up to 20x zoom with bing maps satellite > hit the get static button  < Left alt to select Region.

https://greatmaps.codeplex.com/

Thank you all, I'll check these out and post back if I run into the same issue  ^_^

this happens when you change the samplers settings, and then forget to generate the layers new.

Right, I'm back here now. Bumping this because I'm getting the same b/s all over again, on a fresh terrain :)

This time I looked up "the Atlas" terrain building guide, It comes with a pre-made 2048x2048 sized satellite map picture and mask picture (though I swapped them out for another island I grabbed images of, with the exact same resolution and exact same 24bit .bmp format)

This is my "babbys first terrain" - so I will NOT be trying to go for 20,000x20,000 pixel sized image maps no matter what anyone says, until I can actually get past these initial problems I'm having, and I've seen that it's possible to make a working terrain from just 2048x2048 which the Atlas guide is supplied with.

The issue is definitely not the size of the satellite images being too small as some people in here said, since this highly popular guide includes a small satellite map picture as I said.

I've re-generated layers 100 times now and I keep getting the error (I haven't touched any sampler settings or anything inbetween those times)

My heightmap image is 2048x2048, same res as my satellite map, etc

in Terrain Builder everything is as it is out of the box from the guide, Easting: 200,000 - Northings: 0

Terrain sampler grid size: 512x512, cell size: 4, terrain size: 2048

Satellite/surface (mask) source images size: 2048x2048, resolution m/px: 1

Satellite/surface (mask) tiles size: 512x512, overlap: 16

Textures layer size: 32x32

I simply don't know why I'm getting this untextured terrain with the "unable to load texture bla bla" error :/

EVERYTHING is exactly as the Atlas guide instructs me, I'm going insane over this when I'm only trying to make the simplest island ever

Have you tried deleting your layers folder?

Is you sat/surface map in your map frame? Sometimes it puts it to the side.

Have you tried deleting your layers folder?

Is you sat/surface map in your map frame? Sometimes it puts it to the side.

I've deleted the layers folders, I tried to start a new project again just to be sure, same problem.

Do the layers in the layers manager need to be in a certain order? As of right now the mask map is at the top, heightmap in the middle, and sat map at the bottom

Edit: I just tried the stock resources that comes with The Atlas guide and I get the same missing texture problem. I dunno what could be causing this - have I set up my project settings the wrong way somehow?

did you (re)export your .wrp?

What is a .wrp file and what does it do?

None of the guides I've found have said anything about this type of file

it's the main file that holds 99% of all the info for a island.
I'm pretty sure every map tutorial mentiones .wrp files.

you need to export the .wrp every time you add/edit objects, layers or the heightmap

it's the main file that holds 99% of all the info for a island.

I'm pretty sure every map tutorial mentiones .wrp files.

you need to export the .wrp every time you add/edit objects, layers or the heightmap

Oh I see, The Atlas certainly doesn't mention it until way later when it's time to pack a pbo with the terrain - not the step that I'm stuck on due to texture issues

Exported one into my terrain's root folder, didn't change a thing in Buldozer unfortunately

ah, didn't realised you get that while opening the map in BD.

is that file there?
P:\path\to\your\map\data\layers\s_000_002_lco.paa?