Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

ArmA3 particle rendering problem

There is a problem with ArmA3 (and all other ArmAs incidentally) in that large particles have an odd positional behaviour with changed view direction:

As you can see the particle image wants to move away against the direction of view change, a very odd behavior. I know this can be fixed, and I wonder if it could please be fixed? :)

Does this issue change if you change the aspect ratio of your display, or even the resolution. Also, are you using any FOV (field of view) mods, as your overall first-person view seems rather 'fish-eyed'?

• Like 1

I noticed the same thing when making a dust storm mod using particles 50m in size. The smaller the particles, the less the effect becomes. By the time you're down to 10cm particles the effect is no longer noticeable.

• Like 1

Does this issue change if you change the aspect ratio of your display, or even the resolution. Also, are you using any FOV (field of view) mods, as your overall first-person view seems rather 'fish-eyed'?

No FoV mods (unless hidden inside ACE or something) the fisheye is probably caused by me leaning back to get more view (I wear TrackIR so leaning back is like zooming out). FoV doesn't affect it, at least FoV reasonable for first-person perspective usage.

I noticed the same thing when making a dust storm mod using particles 50m in size. The smaller the particles, the less the effect becomes. By the time you're down to 10cm particles the effect is no longer noticeable.

Yeah large smoke effects are problematic for this reason. I'd like to use fewer, larger particles to get some far and middle distance effects looking good but it's hugely distracting closer than that. Also I wonder how such behaviour affects AI viewblock, since particles now can block AI view how does this behaviour make sense? :D