Sign in to follow this  
Rich_R

Quick question about Dev Branch

I understand by the very nature of the Dev Branch, stuff is updated and changed regularly.

However, If I load up CUP map Takistan and create a base while using the dev branch, as long as I don't use any assets unique to the Dev Branch, such as those found on Tanoa, can that map and base be loaded up in non-dev Arma 3?

Thanks!

Yes, that has always worked for me.

But of course, like anything related to the dev branch, it may break at any time.

• Like 1

Usually this is the case, but not always. There may be times where things are loaded into requiredAddons, in which case you'll need to remove them manually.

There was also recently an update that changed the way profiles work, when this change was on dev branch it meant that it was not backwards compatible with the stable branch. However as far as I'm aware it has only happened once and it's also not an issue anymore.

So in short, the worst thing likely to happen is that you need to remove some things from requiredAddons section in your mission.sqm, it's a good idea to not binarize your mission.sqm if you're on dev branch.

• Like 1

So in short, the worst thing likely to happen is that you need to remove some things from requiredAddons section in your mission.sqm, it's a good idea to not binarize your mission.sqm if you're on dev branch.

Just keep in mind that changing the requiredAddons may lead to some unexpected results if done wrong. E.g. if You place a dev-branch asset in and remove the requiredAddons for that, it may disappear (in best case) on main branch :icon_twisted:

another quick question - whats the download to swap from normal to dev branch and back?

There are two ways of doing this. One just go into Arma 3's properties in steam. Opting into the Dev branch will automatically download and convert your title to Dev Branch.

The other is to us e Arma tools game updater which creates a vanilla Arma3 and Dev Branch Arma 3 . There's various posts on the forums discussing using this option.

Personally, I'm not in a group right now, so I think I'll go with the first one and prepare myself for bumps along the way ;)

Should mention, using the. First option. To switch back and forth means your downloading all the files every time you change. The last time owe tints Dev mode it was 6.5 Gb, so if you have slow internet or a cap on Internet traffic, you might want to take that into consideration.