Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Refract pfx not visible through optics or vehicle glass

Not exactly a biggie I know, but the refract pfx used in heat haze from fires & exhausts is not visible through weapon optics or through vehicle windows. It is visible through building windows however :/

It became apparent to me when developing a heat haze addon for hot terrain :)

Not exactly a biggie I know, but the refract pfx used in heat haze from fires & exhausts is not visible through weapon optics or through vehicle windows. It is visible through building windows however :/

It became apparent to me when developing a heat haze addon for hot terrain :)

Indeed. That's part of the reason I like to use 2D scopes, because you can see heat haze between you and your target (if you're using a heat haze mod of course).Adds to the ambience on desert maps.

• Like 1

[...] developing a heat haze addon for hot terrain :)

Oh boy, I love the sound of that!

Oh boy, I love the sound of that!

If you can't wait for DMarkwick, have a look at TPW MODS (shameless self promotion :) ), it's had a heat haze effect for some time.

• Like 1

ran out of likes but loving the sound of that effect.

also. dmarkwick. Tanoa is perfect for scattering bird flocks. made me remember your experiments with them back in arma 2 or 1 even. one of the old battlefield games had that effect by default but i can never remember which one. must've been battlefield 2. would be fantastic to hear a sniper shot and then see birds rising from the canopy in the distance in a jungle environment.

i've been waiting for someone to find a nice way to add that to the game automatically and dynamically so there's no placement required. might aswell try to tackle it myself though as a mission script or something. Tanoa is really inspiring me. still hoping for some new fauna though. the jungle feels slightly empty without inhabitants.

As I wrote in another post, months ago, half of Arma's optics (Vanilla + DLC) kill any post process effect.

ran out of likes but loving the sound of that effect.

also. dmarkwick. Tanoa is perfect for scattering bird flocks. made me remember your experiments with them back in arma 2 or 1 even. one of the old battlefield games had that effect by default but i can never remember which one. must've been battlefield 2. would be fantastic to hear a sniper shot and then see birds rising from the canopy in the distance in a jungle environment.

i've been waiting for someone to find a nice way to add that to the game automatically and dynamically so there's no placement required. might aswell try to tackle it myself though as a mission script or something. Tanoa is really inspiring me. still hoping for some new fauna though. the jungle feels slightly empty without inhabitants.

Hi BB. My old ArmA2 addon Fire & Smoke had birds as a sort-of easter egg. Firing weapons would startle them, then some time (of silence) would pass before it could happen again. Also, just moving through forests would have a chance of scaring up birds, unless you were moving slowly, so that you could maybe get a clue to where unseen enemy might be. It helped make stealth pay off :)

I should totally make a standalone for Tanoa with birds :) but the heat haze addon is being built for Tanoa in mind.

• Like 1