Access Points

A simple to use system which allows mission makers to easily setup access points that allow players to reach places they wouldn't be able to normally reach (but should) *whew*.

Why'd I make it? Because Tanoa looks pretty, but the skyscrapers don't have interiors, making players unable to access the rooftops by foot.

Download: http://files.bitdungeon.org/arma/AccessPoints.Tanoa.v0.3.zip

Multiplayer Compatible!

Updated on 6-9-2016

Demo Video

License

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html

Setup

Preliminary: Copy the "AccessPoints" directory into your mission. Copy the "execVM" statement into your mission's "Init.sqf".

1. Find yourself a nice building that you want to rig.

9Vuqm38.jpg?1

2. Place a trigger that you want a player to enter to access the roof.

5A7dm6D.jpg?1

3. Resize the trigger to better fit the doorway (optional)

7EGgTqg.jpg?1

4. Change the "Text" attribute of the trigger to follow the format "AccessPoint_UniquePairNameHere". This distinguishes this access point pair from the others.

dZB7jBF.jpg?1

5. Apply the change to the trigger text.

fBsAyW4.jpg?1

6. Copy the trigger (or create a new one, if you hate yourself).

bOfG0d6.jpg?1

7. Paste the trigger at the position you want players to be able to access.

U7vUPpi.jpg?1

8. Tweak the rotation and scaling of the new access point to your heart's desire.

GtGojW8.jpg?1

9. Start the scenario and test it out!

Z5jPC8r.jpg?1

10. Boom! That's it! You got it done like the badass you are.

Iv6wZUE.jpg?1

Changelog

[6-9-2016] v0.3:

Restricted access points to units only (anything that inherits from "CaManBase").

Multiplayer compatibility added.

Made units inherit access point trigger's direction.

[6-8-2016] v0.2:

Refactored codebase.

Added travel delay option and other initialization parameters.

Added readme.txt.

[6-8-2016] v0.1:

Initial release.

• Like 19

Wow holy shit! It's really beautiful! I thought I'd do this sometime but I never got around to do it and I'm thankful someone did. Also what map were you using?

• Like 2

Wow holy shit! It's really beautiful! I thought I'd do this sometime but I never got around to do it and I'm thankful someone did. Also what map were you using?

That's the shmexy new Tanoa :)

That's the shmexy new Tanoa :)

It's in Tanoa!?! I am downloading it right now!! Omg this map is getting better and better I am so glad I pre-ordered the DLC!

Really nice idea, I wonder if there would be a way to make this more automatic like using fixed positions depending on building type. 

• Like 1

Really nice idea, I wonder if there would be a way to make this more automatic like using fixed positions depending on building type. 

Should be possible! Would need to prefabricate the access point pair positions and then generate triggers from them on all desired buildings by type.

Should be possible! Would need to prefabricate the access point pair positions and then generate triggers from them on all desired buildings by type.

It would be a pain in the ass wouldn't it :D

It would be a pain in the ass wouldn't it  :D

Shouldn't be too much hassle, could probably run it on player proximity to stop it doing all objects on map. Something like this i guess, only pseudo code. Not gonna do the SQL on my phone. 

getObjects within 50m player;
if className in (array of buildings) then {
    get positions;
    spawn triggers;
};
despawn triggers when player > 50m from object; 

I'll leave that up to those whom want to take on the task. I think I've provided a decent foundation to start with.

Challenge accepted I think....  :D

• Like 2

Is nice, but that could be a problem on multiplayer games ppl can just disappear and reappear in no time, its like some kind of teleport cheat...

• Like 2

Challenge accepted I think....  :D

Let's see...

Some thoughts:

Could have it as a stairwell or lift transition?

• While the transition is in effect, hide the player model and disable simulation for the duration.
  • Screen fade to black,
  • Play (to the transitioning player only) the sound of someone running up/down stairs or a lift (lift music?)
  • End the transition an appropriate number of seconds dependant on the height of the tower block.
  • At each end have a short time delay before the player can 're-enter' the stairwell, to prevent any potential multi-player exploits.

E

Edit: Further thought, all the triggers could be laid down throughout the islands and set up in the Eden editor and then exported as an Eden Editor composition, should make it super easy for folks to add to any mission.

• Like 4

Very cool Zooloo!

I also like ElectricLeash's transition ideas, so its not an instant teleport (which makes it less gamey).

Another suggestion would be to have a player action appear  when at the access point rather than be an instant teleport.  That way when you are in a street fight and use a doorway for cover, you are not instantly teleported unless you choose that action.

Great work!

Great ideas everyone. Luckily the script is so small that making any modifications to it should be trivial. The scope of the system on my end is to make it so mission makers can create "teleport" points with ease, all within the editor, and without any further scripting. It's meant to be bare-bones in respect to fancy features.

Anything extra is up to the creativity of the mission maker. I am providing the system merely as a foundation, and am allowing anyone to create and redistribute modifications of my script.

What I will be doing is further testing and integration in a multiplayer environment.

Currently refactoring the codebase and implementing an optional delay to mimic travel time between the beginning and end access points (as suggested by Electricleash).

Regarding gameplay and mission design, it would be wise to place an arrow object or an indicator of some sort at entry points to show players that a doorway is usable. You can even expand the script yourself to do this automatically if you wish.

LEQC0TB.jpg?1

Nice idea!

Is Tanoa on the dev branch?

Yup! And it's glorious!

Reminds me of Neverwinter Night's transition triggers. Great work!

Instead of using an arrow, is it possible to reveal the actual trigger in game to a player within a certain proximity?  Honestly, a transparent blue "blank" to walk through/onto seems more intuitive than a brightly colored arrow floating around in missions. 

Reminds me of Neverwinter Night's transition triggers. Great work!

Instead of using an arrow, is it possible to reveal the actual trigger in game to a player within a certain proximity?  Honestly, a transparent blue "blank" to walk through/onto seems more intuitive than a brightly colored arrow floating around in missions. 

Of course; that was just an example. It's up to the mission maker's creativity on how to visualize the triggers to the player.

Any clue how to do this?  :P  I said it more to see if it was possible and how to do it if it was.  lol.  I didn't know visible triggers were possible. I've only seen stuff attached to them. 

Any clue how to do this?  :P  I said it more to see if it was possible and how to do it if it was.  lol.  I didn't know visible triggers were possible. I've only seen stuff attached to them. 

I don't think it's possible to make the trigger itself visible, but to represent a trigger with some sort of object like an arrow or some transparent box model.

Showing off a use-case of my "Access Points" system for ArmA3.

The interior is made of multiple objects and placed inside of the building's cavity.

An access point pair is setup to allow the player to enter the interior from the outside of the building.

Hopefully this will encourage modelers to make more modular architectural pieces.

• Like 1