respawnTemplates[] = {"PT_Spec"};

class CfgRespawnTemplates
{
class PT_Spec
{
onPlayerKilled = ["Initialize", [player, [], true]] call BIS_fnc_EGSpectator;
};
};

However, the player just stays dead after being killed and doesn't change to spec. Any thoughts?

I've also tried just having respawn = 1; but spectator never initializes. However, if I use

respawnTemplates[] = {"ace_spectator"};

ace spectator works fine.

Have you defined the "PT_Spec" respawn template properly?  The example uses onPlayerRespawn instead of Killed?

I've tried both respawn and killed with no luck. I've also tried just setting 

respawn = 1;
respawnTemplates[] = {"Spectator"}; 

in hopes that it initializes it by default. No luck. I'll attach the entire framework so it gives a bit more insight in case something is being overwritten. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-nPOp9EG8q0RXhQMG94elFFUGc

Does it work with standard spectator mode? As far as I can tell the End Game specific one is a unique slot added to a mission, but I've never tried it before and I'm away from game so can't inspect that BIS_fnc_EGSpectator function (which isn't listed on the biki).

Does it work with standard spectator mode? As far as I can tell the End Game specific one is a unique slot added to a mission, but I've never tried it before and I'm away from game so can't inspect that BIS_fnc_EGSpectator function (which isn't listed on the biki).

Tried. The player gets killed and just stays in first person dead.

Seems the latest update broke it. I can't get any spectator mode to work on dedicated servers.