pettka

Tanoa discussion (Dev-Branch)

Yea steam download is somewhat stucked atm , i was worried that mine HDD is doing that lol

Damn I'm eager to see Tanoa, I never had the privilege while working as an external artist, also excited to see mah buildings!

Did not know you where doing stuff for Apex, nice!!!

(Sorry out of likes aswell :( )

What's with the strong anti- gif regulation here? Cmon lighten up this obviously a testy situation with the public here doing a pretty darn good job of keeping it light and self entertaining. I know I'm not supposed to discuss moderation and I'll take the flag if need be but sometimes this place takes itself too seriously

• Like 1

24+ hours and counting - still FUBAR...

Now, I get all the "it's VALVE time!!! hurr-durr", but it get to a point when this is just unprofessional...

The Helicopter DLC had the same problem. I just checked and it took 3 days to fix it.

Now, I get all the "it's VALVE time!!! hurr-durr", but it get to a point when this is just unprofessional...

its unprofessional to post something like this. just wait, till they solve the problem. otherwise wait till full release.

its still DEV-Version !!!

and even if it take much longer , i dont care. we will test it soon

The Helicopter DLC had the same problem. I just checked and it took 3 days to fix it.

Well, if that was the same problem entirely shouldn't they already know how to fix it then?

Which refers to the thread you're posting in... :')

But there is definitely something wrong on Valve's end; some of my games that need an update are halting at 0kB/s for a few hours now...

"if that works, hopefully just hours"

Did not know you where doing stuff for Apex, nice!!!

(Sorry out of likes aswell :( )

Shhh, don't blow his cover.

On another note though, it is actually very unfrofessional of Valve. Given, what if it was an official release? Well actually, people have spent money, so they should have access. But hey, these things happen. Hopefully BI's external method works. I might purchase Apex later tonight and see if mine works. Anyhow. I like the Canals. Canals from French Influence confirmed!

Did anyone tell you this is a "development branch" "test" release. For bug testing? Guess what. The Dev branch test release is buggered .

This is not Apex. Just clearing this up for anyone struggling to keep up.

• Like 2

Did anyone tell you this is a "development branch" "test" release. For bug testing? Guess what. The Dev branch test release is buggered .

He knows and he's not saying that's bad he is just saying it starts to get to point when it is unprofessional. Which is quite obviously true, but I don't see that happening until another 24-48 hours because it's not like they work 24/7 at BI. So please, just cool down.

But there is definitely something wrong on Valve's end; some of my games that need an update are halting at 0kB/s for a few hours now...

Same here.

As Iceman himself said, "even though Dev-Branch has always been an experimental daily build, we'd love for you to be able to explore Tanoa!" This isn't an issue with the Dev branch, it's an issue with Steam. We're unable to offer and bug testing and feedback if we cannot access the content, and it's scheduled to release before the end of the month. Missing the first day - when everyone is hyped and eager to play - isn't good. There is a falloff of testers after day 1, and that falloff will be more dramatic with this delay. This means fewer testers, fewer bug reports, and less feedback; all of which will hamper the release.

How to get working update to play on Tanoa ? 

Presently, it isn't working for anyone. A fix is in progress, but we don't know when it'll be done.

• Like 1

Pretty nice variety interiors so far - yet i thought the reason they limited enterable building was to return to OA level furnishings..ah well...

Other than that, the runway pier over the water is just thrilling.

More likely its time and money, the difference between a regular building vs an enterable one is vast on the work load.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Geometric_Occluders this should prevent anything hidden behind a wall that is not within the players view from being rendered, essentially doing this http://i.stack.imgur.com/aV1k0.png

Now that said, back to the difference in work load.  An external building requires two sets of UV's by default due to its size if you want crisp textures, as well as a few special masking textures, you can then add simple geometry to add collision and for the most part you're done.

With added interior however the geometry becomes significantly more complex and now you also have to unwrap the interior, possibly twice pending its size...which also calls for more materials to hold the number of textures, whereas on the outside you may only have to deal with some walls, trim, ground, roof...on the inside you can have far more variety not including furnishings, and the more complex an object gets the more prone it is to mistakes such as missing pieces or warped UV's, which also means having to spend more time to go back and fix it.

Depending on the detail of the building polycounts may still be in effect, and you can get away with more on a closed off one than you can an enterable one. 

Plus by the required limitation of the object culling technique, having every single building enterable may still cause more harm than good.

Also thank you DnA for keeping us in the loop and not going quiet to try and hide from the consumers in an attempt to 'make it better' as so many companies have done in the past..which never worked well.

• Like 4

I know all of that. I was refering to both BI and Valve. I also happen to work in "audiovisual media" (video production) and I know this stuff happens.

Yet we shouldn't let that slide. Because when you do, you set the precident for "safe pass" next time.

No reaction = no learning from the situation...

Thank you BIS for keeping us updated, As i have said before and will say again. Things like this happen, it's ok i and many other appreciate you keeping us up to date as you go and all of your hard work. THANK YOU!

• Like 1

this DLC will increase FPS ??

This is not a DLC, this is an expansion of the game.

I know all of that. I was refering to both BI and Valve. I also happen to work in "audiovisual media" (video production) and I know this stuff happens.

Yet we shouldn't let that slide. Because when you do, you set the precident for "safe pass" next time.

No reaction = no learning from the situation...

If you want to not "let that slide" then you should complain on Steam forums. This issue has nothing to do with BI as they have stated several times. Steam is the reason we are unable to test the update.

The main thing to keep in mind if you're new to the thread and looking to vent, it is NOT Bohemia's fault! They are restricted by Steam's API issue and this has happened in the past with the Helicopter and Marksmen DLC. They can merely move around the issue, but right now, it is down to Steam devs making sure the correct licenses are getting the distributions of the updates that will give us Tanoa.

If you think they are actually preventing the download of content people have paid for, on purpose, you are severely deluded. They want you to play it as much as we want to play it.

Just wanted to clear that up for anyone new here :)

• Like 2

As said previously can everyone stay on topic, any venting or flame-baiting posts will be removed and the appropriate forum punishments will be issued.  :16_6_8:

• Like 5

... and this has happened in the past with the Helicopter and Marksmen DLC...

So they should've taken the past experiences and incorporated then into QA process before actually dropping stuff for public (testing).

Once again - BIS are among very few game devs I respect ALOT. 

I bought Supporter Edition of A3 several days after Alpha was released AND own several copies of previous releases (even ToH) for LAN party purposes.

So yeah, i'm quite the definition of a "fanboy".

And yet I won't let that kind of slopynes free-pass, esp. since it's not even the first year and content BI distributes via Steam...

So they should've taken the past experiences and incorporated then into QA process before actually dropping stuff for public (testing).

Once again - BIS are among very few game devs I respect ALOT. 

I bought Supporter Edition of A3 several days after Alpha was released AND own several copies of previous releases (even ToH) for LAN party purposes.

So yeah, i'm quite the definition of a "fanboy".

And yet I won't let that kind of slopynes free-pass, esp. since it's not even the first year and content BI distributes via Steam...

How many times do people have to say this, this is not a fault Bohemia Interactive has made it is Steam and their qwerky API software.