pettka

Tanoa discussion (Dev-Branch)

I also don't really get the sandbag one. Looks weird.

Maybe the all-male population is worried about flooding  ;)

• Like 3

I'm okay with the performance on my 4770k @ 4.5 and 770 (4gb).

On Takistan my civilian scripts could spawn up to 300 civs all walking around doing stuff without fps dropping below 45-50.

On Tanoa this number goes down to 100-150, depending on where you are. So either Tanoa is more heavy on the GPU or it's the AI pathfinding that's hitting fps.

When using my view distance script (adjusts view and object distance to viewpoint when looking through scope/binocs, so you can see the entire map with rangefinders i.e.) I can notice these LOD anomalies too, especially with those huge factory buildings.

I hope the performance will go up quite a notch when upgrading to a 1080 and a 6850k later this year.

Cheers

It's both, Takistan doesn't have the same map size (less strain on the HD), doesn't have as much foliage and ground texture variety (less strain on the GPU) and there tends to be much more the AI has to deal with.

Lets say for example that power is required for the AI to determine wether or not it can see through objects, in Takistan this is as simple as a few bushes, some trees, maybe a building here and there...in Tanoa its tree's and bushes everywhere, I can only imagine the calculating that is occuring behidn the scenes.

It is very possible that Arma  has finally caught up to the point that is becoming more balanced in demand for GPU in comparison to previous versions, especially with the new lighting, but without a doubt the CPU and hard drive reign supreme.

• Like 1

Hi!

I don't know if I am the first person who posts this (if yes, I am very SURPRISED) but I have big concerns about the small roads/trails that go all around the island.

Why? Engine considers them as "roads" so AI does the same.

And AI tends to really really mess up with those: tight, small, full of trees and rocks on both sides. 

We all know AI is not the best driving on roads, so I suppose the solution, easier than making the super smart road driving we all want and hasn't been possible since OFP, is just to remove them from the engine. Is it possible?

I am not meaning the visual thing, I just mean the engine thing, if I say nearRoads on them, return empty array, I hope you know what I mean.

In Antistasi I am having serious trouble, as it's a dynamic mission, I can only give destination waypoints to the AI, nothing else, so I dont know the way of making them use only main roads.

Very interested on your opinion.

• Like 7

^fully agree. making a totally dynamic mission myself. i tried filtering roads out that have too many trees around them (to have at least usable starting positions for vehicles) but the problem is that AI, as you said, choose to use those tight roads to ge to places on their own. so it's not even a mission maker issue but a general one.

• Like 2

While the grill is quite nice to show non-working doors, it could be easily confused with working ones

doors.jpg

Hi!

I don't know if I am the first person who posts this (if yes, I am very SURPRISED) but I have big concerns about the small roads/trails that go all around the island.

Why? Engine considers them as "roads" so AI does the same.

And AI tends to really really mess up with those: tight, small, full of trees and rocks on both sides. 

We all know AI is not the best driving on roads, so I suppose the solution, easier than making the super smart road driving we all want and hasn't been possible since OFP, is just to remove them from the engine. Is it possible?

I am not meaning the visual thing, I just mean the engine thing, if I say nearRoads on them, return empty array, I hope you know what I mean.

In Antistasi I am having serious trouble, as it's a dynamic mission, I can only give destination waypoints to the AI, nothing else, so I dont know the way of making them use only main roads.

Very interested on your opinion.

Ain't BIS introducing new scripting commands to force AI to ignore trails? Or did I dream that?

ThAt's pretty acceptable Imo, with a quick depth perception glance you can clearly see the difference. I like the rewarding of a little extra perception

Ain't BIS introducing new scripting commands to force AI to ignore trails? Or did I dream that?

Total dream. Would be fine to have it!

While the grill is quite nice to show non-working doors, it could be easily confused with working ones

In my opinion it is not a problem. There is still a clear enough difference because of the see-through glass. The non-door grill is also more clearly a barrier. I don't think I would be confused by this ingame.

I think I prefer this to more intrusive, exaggerated barriers.

it would be great if the along with the door stuff the large tree roots that are way too short resulting in a lot of them floating in the air could be taken care of too. it's, as far as i can tell, one single model and a really simple change. it looks really unfinished and sloppy and it's totally unnecessary.

please!

• Like 2

^fully agree. making a totally dynamic mission myself. i tried filtering roads out that have too many trees around them (to have at least usable starting positions for vehicles) but the problem is that AI, as you said, choose to use those tight roads to ge to places on their own. so it's not even a mission maker issue but a general one.

Hey BB did you ever try using IsOnRoad as to filter out the dirt trails?

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/192702-any-way-to-filter-small-roads-on-tanoa/?p=3065454

I know this doesn't help with stopping the AI using them, but it seemed an elegant solution to find usable start positions. 

No tpw, the problem is indeed that. :)

IsOnRoad on those trails returns true.

And what we are asking, is to return false and AI not considering them as engine roads. Read my post in the last page.

BTW: I encourgae you to use those trails as safe spawning position, best of luck if you want to spawn a track :)

And what we are asking, is to return false and AI not considering them as engine roads. Read my post in the last page.

BTW: I encourgae you to use those trails as safe spawning position, best of luck if you want to spawn a track  :)

Not sure I follow you barbolani. I find that isonroad returns true for dirt roads, but false for narrow dirt trails through the jungle. But it's a moot point, because the bloody AI will try and drive on either!

• Like 1

Not sure I follow you barbolani. I find that isonroad returns true for dirt roads, but false for narrow dirt trails through the jungle. But it's a moot point, because the bloody AI will try and drive on either!

Agree. No matter what, AI tries to use them, and that really has a lot of issues. 

BTW: I encourgae you to use those trails as safe spawning position, best of luck if you want to spawn a track  :)

surfaceType command is only reliable way I have to check between road and trail. On Tanoa will include the word asphalt or reddirt for roads and something else for trails.

• Like 1

Yes, ok, I know, but that's not the point. The point is AI trying to drive through them....

• Like 1

["Paste",["Tanoa",[12856.2,7269.45,12.4869],31.7124,0.7,[-34.9437,0],0,0,722.607,0,0,1,0,1]] call bis_fnc_camera;

End of pier road is not finished, looks weird, this is in DEV build.

• Like 1

Tanoa makes me sad. I've been a supporter from the very beginning, and my Supporter Edition was money well spent, but due to the financial model of the Apex expansion I haven't been able to play multiplayer on Tanoa. Would be nice to see Tanoa available separately, because my friends don't want to spend so much on an expansion where Tanoa is the only reason for purchase. Not even sure a reduced price or sale price will be enough.  :(

You need new friends:)

I AM KIDDING BTW;)

However, Tanoa is worth the procw of admission IMO

However, Tanoa is worth the procw of admission IMO

I know. I'd be willing to buy it for friends if it was not $35. Charge me $10 just for Tanoa and I'd be buying 5 or 6 of them.

Some people just have a lack of resources. The content besides that map would barely be used, so the price is too steep for quite a few to afford.

I know. I'd be willing to buy it for friends if it was not $35. Charge me $10 just for Tanoa and I'd be buying 5 or 6 of them.

Some people just have a lack of resources. The content besides that map would barely be used, so the price is too steep for quite a few to afford.

How many of your friends smoke and are spending more than $5 on their habit a day?

How many of your friends drink alcohol, and live for the weekends where a good night out cost upwards of $100 ?

How many of your friends are married, and have their own apartments and pay $5 a day on food that never gets eaten? 

In today's day and age where the average child's pocket money is in excess of $10 a week, you're telling me that people find it hard to save up $35 for a one off purchase?

How many of your friends all own smartphones that cost in excess of $500 and have it loaded with apps and music?

Unless you're actually unemployed and on some kind of welfare, I find such comments as the expansion being too expensive at $35, where the average console game now is anywhere between $30- $100 quite a broad one to make.

Are the youth of today that hard up? :unsure:

• Like 3

If someone can't afford a onetime purchase of 35 bucks they probably got other stuff to worry about than playing video games.

Cheers

• Like 4

Wait until the next Steam sale as I'm certain Apex will get a discount, even if it's likely to be small (-25%):

Apparently it'll be in about 6.5 weeks time:

http://whenisthenextsteamsale.com/

Seriously eat rice/lentils/pasta & veg for a few days (cut out meat & alcohol).

Your waistline will thank you for it too!

• Like 1

How many of your friends smoke and are spending more than $5 on their habit a day?

How many of your friends drink alcohol, and live for the weekends where a good night out cost upwards of $100 ?

How many of your friends are married, and have their own apartments and pay $5 a day on food that never gets eaten? 

In today's day and age where the average child's pocket money is in excess of $10 a week, you're telling me that people find it hard to save up $35 for a one off purchase?

How many of your friends all own smartphones that cost in excess of $500 and have it loaded with apps and music?

Unless you're actually unemployed and on some kind of welfare, I find such comments as the expansion being too expensive at $35, where the average console game now is anywhere between $30- $100 quite a broad one to make.

Are the youth of today that hard up? :unsure:

hehehe... your post reminds me of a guy on the Visual Upgrade thread who didn't see a reason to fix the broken night lighting because "everybody uses NVGs anyway".

• Like 1