pettka

Tanoa discussion (Dev-Branch)

Yeah for sure don't see why most of the buildings are not enterable hopefully it's just being worked on for release date I was disappointed when I explored the larger towns.

• Like 1

Would it be possible to make certain types of bushes found throughout the under canopy give you full camouflage? For reference, the Tigeria map from ArmA 2 had a large black bush that you could hide in and provided you did not shoot, make large movements, or make noise, the AI would walk right by you as the bush was scripted to block sight. Playing the Tigeria map in ArmA 3 preserves this functionality and gives an added measure of stealth and strategy in addition to making things much more intense as sometimes you end up walking right on the enemy and have point blank engagements.

I realize that the current ArmA system tries to incorporate this, but due to natural holes in the foliage, even if an inch of you is exposed, the AI will spot you. By designing a bush which incorporates full sight blockage, this will allow the AI to keep their current spotting techniques, but allow us some leeway in concealment.

Not sure if anyone has brought this up but with all the bridges on Tanoa it would be nice if they can be destructible so that we can make some missions around an ambush of a convoy or a destruction of a bridge as a mission objective with proper placement of explosives or even a missile from a launcher or aircraft.

I also read something about bridges not being destructible - I think it was in reference to AI pathfinding etc.  Shame as that was the first thing I attempted to do when I loaded in the map :(

I also read something about bridges not being destructible - I think it was in reference to AI pathfinding etc.  Shame as that was the first thing I attempted to do when I loaded in the map :(

You can hide them which disables the collision, but you can still see them visually, which is a shame.

Ugh, they are back!!!

Tanoa at main airport

{diag_log str _x;} count diag_activeSQFScripts;
21:27:54 "["fn_animalBehaviour_mainLoop","A3\functions_f\ambient\fn_animalBehaviour.sqf",true,348]"
21:27:54 "["fn_animalBehaviour_mainLoop","A3\functions_f\ambient\fn_animalBehaviour.sqf",true,163]"
21:27:54 "["fn_animalBehaviour_mainLoop","A3\functions_f\ambient\fn_animalBehaviour.sqf",true,348]"

No bunnies or snakes but plenty of scripts to pad the scheduler :)

Yeah for sure don't see why most of the buildings are not enterable hopefully it's just being worked on for release date I was disappointed when I explored the larger towns.

Also unfortunately not; almost a year ago they confirmed via SITREP that they were aiming differently than Altis/Stratis only to have to reiterate this multiple times this past month when the community managed to be surprised at Bohemia adhering to its own statement...
  • Like 3

Also unfortunately not; almost a year ago they confirmed via SITREP that they were aiming differently than Altis/Stratis only to have to reiterate this multiple times this past month when the community managed to be surprised at Bohemia adhering to its own statement...

I think its a smart decision from BIS, give me performance over a few more interiors everyday!  Besides, if I cannot get inside it's hope those pesky AI cannot also ;)

Well that was a major bound forward with Arma 3 enterable structures now we are back stepping to the days of Arma 2 hate to see that. I for one like having the realistic option to enter a structure for cover or a firing position and also with certain AI mods have the enemy enter the building and come in after you. These towns are not that big like a few on Altis to cause any major performance hit. 

I don't think we're reverting to ArmA 2. We have a full house of enterable buildings and a Eden/Zeus. If anything, this makes it easier on us with less windows, doors, etc. to worry about in CQB. Makes things more streamlined and straightforward for gameplay, and it can easily be stepped up by just placing a few extra buildings down.

• Like 1

Missplaced wall at a compound causing z-fighting.

fxq6Q85.jpg

Well it's unrealistic in real life if your moving through a enemy controlled town you will have to worry about every structure and window for CQB just like in Altis thats what makes it fun and exciting. Now we have these fake box buildings again that you can't enter it is a step back and not forward. Everyone has their own idea of how they like to play arma for me it's about getting as close to the real deal as possible and playing in a realistic MilSim environment and fake box buildings that you can't enter is not realistic. 

• Like 6

I can deal with various unenterable buildings but the lack of destructibility of most buildings on Tanoa is something that I hope is going to be addressed in future. I've called an airstrike on a rickety tin shack full of opfor, only for it to still be standing when the smoke clears.  

This is not only Tanoa, although of course it should be fixed for those objects. I remember firing the main gun from a battle tank at a Stratis tin shack and it never got a scratch. When I placed down an explosive charge it went down. So it may be that the Tanoa shack is not indestructible, but the damage values need fixing.

This is not only Tanoa, although of course it should be fixed for those objects. I remember firing the main gun from a battle tank at a Stratis tin shack and it never got a scratch. When I placed down an explosive charge it went down. So it may be that the Tanoa shack is not indestructible, but the damage values need fixing.

I agree with the general sentiment but if you fire the default rounds off of the MBTs those would be the AP types which are penetrators and would probably not easily collapse a building anyway.

Another thing is, it appears sometimes people can survive unsacthed a building collapsing on them.

I agree with the general sentiment but if you fire the default rounds off of the MBTs those would be the AP types which are penetrators and would probably not easily collapse a building anyway.

Another thing is, it appears sometimes people can survive unsacthed a building collapsing on them.

Right, but it was a tin shack, not a proper building. And true with the people within a collapsed building - I have seen how someone on the first floor in a collapsed building just floats (still prone!) after the building he was in is turned into rubbles from demolition. A lot of physics errors in the engine currently in these situations

Well it's unrealistic in real life if your moving through a enemy controlled town you will have to worry about every structure and window for CQB just like in Altis thats what makes it fun and exciting. Now we have these fake box buildings again that you can't enter it is a step back and not forward. Everyone has their own idea of how they like to play arma for me it's about getting as close to the real deal as possible and playing in a realistic MilSim environment and fake box buildings that you can't enter is not realistic. 

Consider this fake box buildings as 'locked' and move along.  Plus those fake boxes will result in a more playable/stable environment for those moments that you enter the other buildings.  

I understand your perspective and do not disagree with it.  Gotta make lemonade sometimes ;)

Well, I mean the HEAT rounds really dont fare well against the corrugated steel shed, lol

Well, I mean the HEAT rounds really dont fare well against the corrugated steel shed, lol

Tanoan Steel is the best!

• Like 7

Is it known that fog is still broken on Tanoa in the current DEV build?

Using 0 setFog 0.3 on Altis produces a slight mist, but it gives a wall of fog on Tanoa, you can't see beyond 3 meters.

I have to use 0 setFog 0.03 to achieve something similar - it's like fog values are increased by ten for this terrain?

• Like 1

Is it known that fog is still broken on Tanoa in the current DEV build?

Using 0 setFog 0.3 on Altis produces a slight mist, but it gives a wall of fog on Tanoa, you can't see beyond 3 meters.

I have to use 0 setFog 0.03 to achieve something similar - it's like fog values are increased by ten for this terrain?

Fog settings has been bugged since the visual update 1.60 patch. Couple days ago there was only max fog or no fog at all. Today when you move the fog slider in the intel screen, it seems like fog is at max value when slider is at 10%.

I am going to go out for some days and I want to carry my laptop with ARMA3. The problem is Tanoa is going to come when I am out so I will need to update several gb... If I update now to devbranch, later when releasing the final Tanoa, I will need to download all the gb again? Is there anyway to avoid that?

thanks.

I am going to go out for some days and I want to carry my laptop with ARMA3. The problem is Tanoa is going to come when I am out so I will need to update several gb... If I update now to devbranch, later when releasing the final Tanoa, I will need to download all the gb again? Is there anyway to avoid that?

thanks.

Move to the RC branch before you leave: Steam branch access code: Arma3Update162RC

Then theoretically once the full release arrives on Monday, it should be a much smaller download.

Tanoan Steel is the best!

Seems like Arma 2 bunker fortresses are back lol

I wonder which part is bugged - is it the hitpoint value of the shed, or the damage property of the tanks shells ? Or is the shed simply non-destructible regardless of ordnance - just a visual prop ? I'll try and put a CSAT unit in one and blow it up and see what happens ..... (to be continued)