pettka

Tanoa discussion (Dev-Branch)

When using TrackIR, zoom will only let you look forward, not side to side. TrackIR/zoom is broken.

• Like 2

Would like to know this as well : I'm trying to set up a custom scene for the main menu, but my configs don't seem to kick in on dev branch.

By the way, the main menu always loads Tanoa, no matter my settings regarding default terrain.

Yep found the same issues with the loading screen. Seems documentation or functions if commands haven't been updated yet.

Yep found the same issues with the loading screen. Seems documentation or functions if commands haven't been updated yet.

We can hope it's a temporary thing (probably related to the new menu and those big-ass pictures); it was working still right before the Apex sneak preview.

Ladders from the water to the drydock are glitchy. I can never get out of the water.

Looks nice but would be even better with more dust/dents and other wear and tear. Driving around on those dirt road should make anything rather... well dusty and muddy :)

I understand that to much weathering could make objects look like carbon copies. I have no clue about texturing but if it's possible to add layers to objects (like the insignias) a layer assigned for weathering and randomly (and by script) applied to cars/planes/heli's  etc.

/KC

I disagree, why a vehible must be covered with dirt to be realistic?

A non cleaned vehicle has more probabilities to have damaged paint and have lost his colors - or a anti heat cover damaged too if the vehicle has this protection -...

All the vehicles inside a fov has proper cleaning service even in a war situation only a long run mission in a rain weather condition it will be back covered with mud ( or dirt).

When playing on Tanoa I've noticed one thing. And it may be one of the most awesome things about Tanoa's atmosphere.

When you are in the jungle you can hear all those birds singing... until shots are fired... then they suddenly fall silent for awhile before singing again.

This is damn awesome.

And if for some reason it is a "bug" - then please BIS - make it stick. Because it's REALLY awesome

• Like 4

I disagree, why a vehible must be covered with dirt to be realistic?

A non cleaned vehicle has more probabilities to have damaged paint and have lost his colors - or a anti heat cover damaged too if the vehicle has this protection -...

All the vehicles inside a fov has proper cleaning service even in a war situation only a long run mission in a rain weather condition it will be back covered with mud ( or dirt).

Not every but the majority (IMO) and I'm not only talking about dust/mud. Scratches, dents, rust can work as well... For me my immersion goes up when I see that the equipment used and not coming strait from the factory. As I said the dev's have done an awesome job on many objects and some cars looks used but many of the mil vehicles/helis/planes could need some more weathering, again IMO.

I'm pretty curious what army you served in that have "cleaning service" in a war situation - lol? I remember the tanks/APC's was really messy just driving to our training area (was radio mec. in a tank battalion back in the 80's) and you should have seen my uniform and boots :)

/KC

• Like 1

I wonder if BIS is aware of how a player experience the shallow water. This pertains to the depth at the shore.

I think if they can avoid having uneven shallow areas, for which the game will force you to either swim, AND walk slowly, avoiding that would be good, so that you would either have to swim, OR, wade slowly, not a mix.

A complication here would be the tide, changing the level of the water around the coast line.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I notice that unlike other civilian types, the new Tanoan civilians spawn without headgear randomisation, in fact none of them spawn with hats of any kind.

Anyone else found the inside of the jungle to be graphically very underwhelming? It's generally true that stuff which is not directly illuminated by the sun looks not as impressive, but I felt like the game is 10 years older when I enter a jungle and everything lies in shade.

I was exploring the sea bed today and have to say, I love all the little rock trenches and crevices that are dotted around the island. I'm still looking around and i'm sure i'll find some more rock formations and wrecks but so far ocean floor is pretty nice.  :D

If anyone is interested in seeing the sea floor without having to dive I made this to help:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/191713-tanoa-tides-modifed-sea-levels/ 

Really nice work, there is a lot to discover ~ exceeded my expectations.

Most annoying thing so far, is that bridges and railway crossings often break your tyres when you attempt to cross them ;)

EDIT: There are indeed some errors popping up when you drive around the map. Discovered one north of Georgetown where the compound with the 2 office buildings is located at. Just drive along the road then towards north and it pops up. Will post more about it later.

Anyone else found the inside of the jungle to be graphically very underwhelming? It's generally true that stuff which is not directly illuminated by the sun looks not as impressive, but I felt like the game is 10 years older when I enter a jungle and everything lies in shade.

I'd love to see a jungle in real life with glistering glowing sparkles and sunshine everywhere in real life, but i guess i haven't been that lucky. (sarcasm =P)

You go to any forest and you'll find that aside from the occasional sun beam, the majority of the rainforest, jungle, do lay in shade. Of course though, you can also screw up the feel of the map through your settings, but that depends on your PC.

• Like 2

He's not talking about the jungle being too shady, he means that Arma 3 graphics generally look like ass when there's no sun. Being in the jungle highlights the fact that Arma 3's HDR isn't very good. It's the same problem when there's high overcast. Everything looks really flat and unimpressive.

• Like 2

Im probably only the 2nd guy in 100,000 to care but could youse guys make sure to keep a robust Location list/system for Tanoa? For some reason the amount of 'named things' went way down from Arm 2 to Arma 3 and never felt fully flushed out. Im wanting these for the ability to create a sort of 'dynamic lore' based off of the area of military events

Arma 2
  • Name
  • Strategic
  • StrongpointArea
  • FlatArea
  • FlatAreaCity
  • FlatAreaCitySmall
  • CityCenter
  • Airport
  • NameMarine
  • NameCityCapital
  • NameCity
  • NameVillage
  • NameLocal
  • Hill
  • ViewPoint
  • RockArea
  • BorderCrossing
  • VegetationBroadleaf
  • VegetationFir
  • VegetationPalm
  • VegetationVineyard
Arma 3
  • NameCity
  • NameCityCapital
  • NameMarine
  • NameVillage
  • NameLocal (Will return names like Airport)
  • Hill
  • Mount
  • Like 8

Probably not going to happen, but I would love to see players and AI hold their weapon up over their head when walking through chest-deep water. It looks weird if they have their weapons held normally while they are submerged.

• Like 6

Probably not going to happen, but I would love to see players and AI hold their weapon up over their head when walking through chest-deep water. It looks weird if they have their weapons held normally while they are submerged.

me °Д° gusta +1 do pls cool omg

He's not talking about the jungle being too shady, he means that Arma 3 graphics generally look like ass when there's no sun. Being in the jungle highlights the fact that Arma 3's HDR isn't very good. It's the same problem when there's high overcast. Everything looks really flat and unimpressive.

But he doesn't quote his system specs, or his graphic settings, and there's plenty of video's out there now that would show quite the opposite of what you're describing.

Everyone knew well in advance Tanoa would be very demanding on the GPU's ;)

debatable ...

The chance of malfunction isn't equal with Vietnam era, check photos and YT on jungle warfare

Pic

Well, that's a tube full of nope right there!  I'm feeling claustrophobic just looking at that guy about to enter that mostly flooded tube.  No thank you!

Im probably only the 2nd guy in 100,000 to care but could youse guys make sure to keep a robust Location list/system for Tanoa?

The thing that always bugged me about Arma3 locations is that they were used as just name tags and the actual size/shape bared no representation of what it actually was.

This made them useless for things like finding buildings in city limits etc. and it was a pain staking task to go through the map adding your own.

Would be much easier and appreciated if they where done by BI when creating the maps locations.

I do hope there are more as suggested and that they have some use other than map name tags.

• Like 5

The thing that always bugged me about Arma3 locations is that they were used as just name tags and the actual size/shape bared no representation of what it actually was.

This made them useless for things like finding buildings in city limits etc. and it was a pain staking task to go through the map adding your own.

Would be much easier and appreciated if they where done by BI when creating the maps locations.

I do hope there are more as suggested and that they have some use other than map name tags.

Oh god yes. The location size and shapes on Altis are comically bad. In fact, it looks like someone has gone to the trouble of making them shit by intentionally inputting bad data when they could, in the same time taken, been done properly.

• Like 1