pettka

Tanoa discussion (Dev-Branch)

First off, Tanoa is absolutely awesome. I just spent a couple hours exploring, learning the building types, flying a helicopter around to all the islands and examining anything that caught my eye in particular. I've decided to post my findings so far, critical first and then particular things I really like.

Critical-

• Buildings and rooms that aren't enterable. Now, I'm assuming that's a matter of making sure the terrain is actually playable performance-wise, which I totally understand. A shame, but necessary. The Georgetown high-rises basically become little more than giant, pretty obstacles, or sniper perches for vertical insertion only (thus off-limits to poorly funded units). It'll take a little while to get used to knowing which doors are and aren't enterable. If you're adding more enterability, I'm eager to see the additions.
  • This door is unintentionally unenterable. I added the second picture to help you recognize the building type. This particular one was on the NE outskirts of that town in the middle of the big island, forgot the name but similar to "Tanoa".

V4TkhQTjnMWlq0pJi01wHdO8iGpMx8PNUof4ui0f
    TGWie5a6qmysDvuUJRUVGSQL6kg6CviWdYN5e4XD

• Trying to go through this section of this blue garage building to garage outside from the garage itself, opening the door shoved me into the corner like this (first picture) and the only way I managed to get out was to go prone and glitch through the wall. Honestly, I thought that room was too narrow to be believable anyway, and that it should have been the width of the one above it. But that overhang (second picture) is pretty cool looking so I might suggest adding the width of the overhang to both rooms, so you can keep the overhang look. 

zq8s0s1QEnGaQGv2aymyyEJ5TBKJUCtUwobXcp2d
    eiQJabQH9WfqLusP3woSL5jp9tUaQMlL4qt1Lkpp

• Stilted buildings can't be used for crawlspace. This one is clearly tall enough. 

GlIZqvjDY4wp-AY_7R41wLVvybCQYFmoPZ0S6ChF

• Could use more red rocks outside of the mine area, maybe in place of some of the black ones on the beaches. Would add interesting and more realistic variety. I did check to make sure I could find pictures of them in Fiji, having never been there myself, lol.
  • This one is highly nitpicky and not important for gameplay, so take it or leave it, but I found this AC unit (picture 1) to make little sense, since there was nothing on the inside of the wall from it other than a small bit of one side of the wall mount poking through (picture 2). There are other little nitpicks I could make but those are mostly just generic buildings being stuck next to each other and some elements like pipes being visible where they no longer make sense. Again, not a huge deal. 

rJzcFZSF0zIIl_R0RqHFdxByJUVVBm_XWGoECQ5W
    HaJPZ_CC0XIYSp1r5uS1B_UYJAO8OYh0RrxTGRh0

Nifty things I noticed-

• The dense vegetation is awesome. This is going to add a totally dynamic to Arma. It's pretty realistically and tastefully done. Looking forward to intense jungle warfare. I could see some KOTH battles for an actual wooded hill.
  • The little islands are a cool dynamic. RHIBs will be a lot of fun. I could see some islands themselves being KOTH objectives.
  • The new buildings are more unique and varied than previous ones. Overall the world feels more inhabited.
  • So much rooftop access, and even interconnected by planks! Very cool. Some of them look like the "old west" style, which could make for some cool revolver shootouts. I kinda hope someone makes a US Civil War/Reconstruction era assets mod now.
  • AC units make noise, which adds immersion.
  • Ambient flora noise in woodlands is great.
  • Black sand beach!
  • Church clocktower is actually functional.
  • When blue water reservoirs like in one of my pictures above are shot, some water particles seep out. Nice touch.
  • Gas pump burns with great big flame when demolished by tank shell. Baysplosionsâ„¢ baby.
  • Some long bridges that make for great chokepoints.
  • Those trees growing out of the water. They really make me wish there was a "tide height" weather setting. They'd become little shrub orchards and sandbars would become beach extensions.
  • I noticed one of those water crossing concrete things up a hill somewhere where it was dry, indicating an arroyo/wadi at that location. Would be really cool if heavy rain turned it into a creek.
  • Train tracks. I now really wish there were a game mechanism implemented to have operable trains. The great train robbery scenario!
  • Not sure if this is a spoiler or not since I never saw it in reveals.

The old (presumably Japanese?) fortifications, destroyed guns, and downed plane are cool. Fortifications would make for some interesting defensive scenarios, testing the design.

Can't wait till release!

• Like 1

Non-enterable buildings are a massive disappointment. I know it was announced in August, but I was hoping it would be something they would have changed. I don't mind portions of buildings being blocked off, but if there are buildings you can't enter you might as well just replace it with a solid VR box, because that's all it really is.

It has long been ported. And what's wrong with that? Everyone does what he can.

This whole Life stuff just makes me sad.

• Like 2

I really don't understand why everyone is going on about non-enterable buildings. If there is one thing I never did on Altis, then it's walking into every house... because they all looked the same and they are all empty. Even filling them all up in the editor isn't going to work out, due to too many objects required + performance drain.

Why do you care what other people like to play? Nobody is forcing you to touch it.

I really don't understand why everyone is going on about non-enterable buildings. If there is one thing I never did on Altis, then it's walking into every house... because they all looked the same and they are all empty. Even filling them all up in the editor isn't going to work out, due to too many objects required + performance drain.

Why do you care what other people like to play? Nobody is forcing you to touch it.

I don't have anything against Altis Life in general, in fact, I think it is an interesting idea after all. It undoubtfully contributes to vast player base Arma 3 still has.

The thing that makes me sad is that most of the 3rd party content is ripped off from another games, and most AL servers are there just for the profit.

That is all.

• Like 8

bringing up an interesting question, curious as to why the jeep was the single only civ land vehicle. Sure more could be added later, but i mean the jeep can only look different in so many ways, it's still a jeep. The entire habitants of Tanoa likely won't only be driving a jeep. I wouldn't mind seeing the Land-rover making a refurbished return, with maybe a more modern look of course, and perhaps something to challenge to Hatchback sport?

If you can maybe remember a month or so back before all this "news". Misty said where is the Chinese mopeds/ scooter. Land rover couldn't agree more. Some jalopies? An island inhabited by people?

I think with all the evidence gathered. All effort was focused on their crown jewel-Tanoa. Hence no time spent or hardly on enterable buildings or civvies or women. Reskins to bring in NATO sorta. A FIA-esqu faction. A Police force-reskinns with new heads. No CSAT campaign...unimportant and again what Misty said likely a spec ops campaign-which has now been confirmed. Everything built is to serve 1 purpose a streamlined lite expansion with no extras really. Which is kind of a sad affair. Even the RHIB inflatable is again water transport but not designed with combat applications in mind. And we can discuss this till we blue in the face they wont say why these weren't considered because it is to confirm this.

First of all I would like to say is, this map is amazing, really good detail and its going to be great for all sorts of different mods.

here are a couple snap shots of some buildings out of place I found http://imgur.com/a/EoH70

My one disappointment is the enterable buildings, I understand due to performance reasons why they are like this, but what I do ask is could you please make at least one of the new sky scrappers enterable? not all of the building but make it similar to the office building in Altis where its just a set of stairs going to the top this will make big improvement to peoples views of George Town and any other city they stand in, also my next disappointment would be garages, there is close to none and the ones that are on the map have a door half way up? I love hiding in garages during game play and I know a lot Arma 3 players do too.

That was my 2 cents I will defiantly post more out of place buildings or bugs if I find them.

4+GB update inbound....on Announcement day.....hmm  :P

Doubt its anything new though or i would have expected it to be released closer to PC announcement.  Could be wrong though

4+GB update inbound....on Announcement day.....hmm   :P

Doubt its anything new though or i would have expected it to be released closer to PC announcement.  Could be wrong though

probably just a large number of tweaks and fixes to the environment.

(Got an error for VTOL_base_f.scope)

He probably cares because the plague is anywhere. I have my peace with them; as long as anything A3Life related (won't do an enumeration of all pestilence side effects of A3Life now) stays out of BI forum, it's fine.

• Like 1

4.4 GB update? They will probably bring the old lighting back :D

OMG, the download took me 3 minutes... BTW I do not see anything that justifies 4.4 GB, but I cannot know :).

Changelog:

Posted Today, 14:41

#801 icon_share.png

13-06-2016
No EXE update today (game)
EXE rev. 136787 (launcher)
Size: ~4.4 GB (depends on Apex ownership)

DATA
  • Tweaked: The in-game Apex URL address is now redirected to the new page (https://arma3.com/apex
  • Fixed: Respawn Screen UI was present on the map in some cases
  • Fixed: Role limits were not working correctly when trying to limit more than one role in the Respawn Screen
  • Fixed: Arsenal loadouts were not working in the Respawn Screen
  • Added: New messages for dead / destroyed entities in the Respawn Screen

Eden Editor
  • Fixed: The Side respawn template would not call the Virtual Spectator

LAUNCHER
  • Added: Apex visual theme (WIP)
  • Tweaked: Compatibility of game types with older servers was improved
  • Tweaked: Servers without a game type set now show a dash instead of the “Unidentified†game type

if people would pay attention to dev logs, people would know that EBO does not work with steam alpha patching, which means it needs to redownload everything in case of changes...

• Like 3

if people would pay attention to dev logs, people would know that EBO does not work with steam alpha patching, which means it needs to redownload everything in case of changes...

Indeed because today's changelog changes so many things about Tanoa, wait... it does not... :P

• Like 1

So BI has confirmed Vehicle in Vehicle transportation. Seemingly only for the new NATO VTOL atm, no mention of older vehicles like the huron supporting it.

On https://arma3.com/apex webpage, under the vehicle section for the NATO Blackfish VTOL:

"The huge internal storage allows for transportation of vehicles up to the size and weight of AMV-7 Marshall APC in the vehicle transport variant or up to 32 fully armed soldiers with supplies in the infantry transport variant"

So hyped for the vehicles and weapons to be launched.

Indeed because today's changelog changes so many things about Tanoa, wait... it does not... :P

Yep I needed to check if any .ebo even changed. Seems like most of them got a change so there's some bug fixing going on. Over half of them got changed.

I do hope so, if we believe that list we might see the new weapons and vehicle's today :ph34r:

All the new weapons and vehicles are displayed on the BI website.

Just not in dev yet :(

ikr, but having a 4.4 gig update for that small dev branch while the one from last friday was only 900m does seem wierd in my opinion :ph34r: I guess we will hear more in 3 hours 24 minutes on the live stream from e3 pc gaming show

right so they put in the base classes for the new weapons like: arifle_AK12_base_F BUT they have ofcoarse a scope of 0 (base classes) and they don't have a model. I think the model is in their but seeing that those are .ebo's we can located them to make a class ourself :(

one questions...if apex getting released, how we can get the texture files for the vehicles for retextures

one questions...if apex getting released, how we can get the texture files for the vehicles for retextures

I think they will include samples in "Arma 3 Samples" like they did for marksmen dlc

Honestly I find it to be a toxic community, let down by its past of using files without the designers permission and the amount of trolling it brings with it.  <_<

• Like 6