pettka

Tanoa discussion (Dev-Branch)

This is just a guess, but on the transition between lods, which sometimes gives the impression of being in operation flashpoint, with some plans alphas as a foliage, I think this is the result of non-implementation Direct x 12 (I understand why this was not done and it's just an observation).

Therefore, I also believe that drastic choices had to be made to preserve the playability (fps) and the polycount budget has probably been downgraded and many, in my opinion.

Similarly, the quality of textures, card nohq seeming absent on certain trees (in fact, those who often come in large numbers?), Accentuates the impression of "back" and probably be impresion among trees created for ofp play.

Attention, it is not an easy criticism, especially as I also am of vegetation and I can not rate fps as important as that of tanoa, because I chose to keep quality textures, independently of falling fps that it causes, but it is true that I'm not chained to a particular graphic as a studio is mandatory.

All this sobering course and I wonder how I personally do to reach a good compromise, while realizing that this should not be simple or easy.

I remember hearing about a technique dating an old game (il2, I think), to represent the depth of the vegetation from above, by superimposing multiple alpha channels on the ground, much like the last lods your trees, but on the scale of a large grove, or even a portion of forest.

The few vertical planes for representing the trunks with the foliage portion on the same axis, were prepared individually to correspond to the location which were their intersecting horizontal alphas layers.

(Today it would be a weight of paint that would organize it more quickly).

I do not know if this technique could be applied to trees from a height view, but it would probably more intermediate lods for smooth transitions, independently of other blend techniques.

Or apply this idea to a group of plants of the first tropical layer: that of the soil, which also means to keep the logic groves, rather than making Number of single plant, or even a mix of both.

To clarify my idea would be like your version ATLIS groves of reeds, but mixed with more polygonal 3d: I tried this on my level and it works well visually, provided to treat the arrangement plans 2d 3d with the pure and allows significant savings of resources and thus fps.

Well, I'm not saying that I know the ideal solution, nor that I am "the best": this is absolutely not my purpose, which delivers unpretentious few ideas that come to me when I walk through the beautiful island of tanoa;

I also keep in mind that this is still largely the WIP.

This is just a guess, but on the transition between lods, which sometimes gives the impression of being in operation flashpoint, with some plans alphas as a foliage, I think this is the result of non-implementation Direct x 12 (I understand why this was not done and it's just an observation).

Lemme stop you right there : LOD switching is in no way related to DX12 or not DX12.

Plenty of games have been using perfectly working LOD techs before DX12 or 11.

Feedback thread, I think a Q&A thread is needed as half the posts here are questions around content and future releases nothing to do with the dev release to fix it.

I guess this is called a discussion thread.

Feedback thread, I think a Q&A thread is needed as half the posts here are questions around content and future releases nothing to do with the dev release to fix it.

I guess this is called a discussion thread.

Or Arma 3 - APEX - NEWS and SPECULATIONS

I'm drunk or is it animals?

Where? What? Which kind of animals?

Lotr? Trees maybe, could be high and drunk ? :)

Can you not turn foliage off in Eden?

ctrl+G :)

I'm drunk or animals

We will need liquor type and quantity to repro ;)
  • Like 2

Naaah, I see what he's onto. The last picture, the rock formation looks like a giant turtle. The first two look vaguely shaped like heads and giant bodies, but not sure of what.

• Like 1

Maybe it's a message from aliens who stole all the furniture on the planet in 2035?

• Like 3

on the topic of bumpy rides:

when playing a little with a bud last night i noticed how bumpy the terrain off the road can be. and i gotta say it's fckn beautiful. i hope it's not a WIP side effect and that it won't be smoothed out. i feel like it's the first time in arma driving offroad actually feels like it's supposed to be. i guess it's a nice side effect of being able to increase the terrain poly count over the years.

not only can you get stuck with a broken tire when driving too recklessly but it's also a lot of fun trying to find a good path while keeping a high speed. loving it. and yea, first time i'm on board with losing a tire in arma. probably until i hit some misconfigured wire fence and get stuck in a remote village lol.

also. general suggestion to everyone. stand in the dense jungle at midnight. if they added leopards growling i'd probably shit my pants. we tested the difference between day and night sound last night by doing an instant switch (skiptime) and man. i know it has been stressed a lot already bu the sounds make this something else.

it's the fact that the animal sounds actually appear in fixed locations (as in "heard something in that tree up there") and in addition the great use of reverb filters (or whatever) on the sounds that really make them sound like you are under a ceiling of leafs, almost like in a giant hall.

as for animals in general. i'd love to see at the least a reskinned bird with bright colours. i also wouldn't be opposed to simple porting over that wild boar that i'm always missing from arma 2. just something simple to match this alive sound environment on a visual level.

• Like 6

definitely drunk m8. XD

Seriously, can I request that people don't quote three full-HD screenshots just to add a single line of text?

• Like 2

when playing a little with a bud last night i noticed how bumpy the terrain off the road can be. and i gotta say it's fckn beautiful. i hope it's not a WIP side effect and that it'll be smoothed out. i feel like it's the first time in arma driving offroad actually feels like it's supposed to be. i guess it's a nice side effect of being able to increase the terrain poly count over the years.

not only can you get stuck with a broken tire when driving too recklessly but it's also a lot of fun trying to find a good path while keeping a high speed. loving it. and yea, first time i'm on board with losing a tire in arma. probably until i hit some misconfigured wire fence and get stuck in a remote village lol.

also. general suggestion to everyone. stand in the dense jungle at midnight. if they added leopards growling i'd probably shit my pants. we tested the difference between day and night sound last night by doing an instant switch (skiptime) and man. i know it has been stressed a lot already bu the sounds make this something else.

it's the fact that the animal sounds actually appear in fixed locations (as in "heard something in that tree up there") and in addition the great use of reverb filters (or whatever) on the sounds that really make them sound like you are under a ceiling of leafs, almost like in a giant hall.

as for animals in general. i'd love to see at the least a reskinned bird with bright colours. i also wouldn't be opposed to simple porting over that wild boar that i'm always missing from arma 2. just something simple to match this alive sound environment on a visual level.

I agree. I know the terrain is good off-road when one of my team mates bitches about how he breaks his quad-bike and vehicles while trying to go full speed off road carelessly.

Seriously, can I request that people don't quote three full-HD screenshots just to add a single line of text?

Will do. ;)

@haleks

I expressed myself badly: the lack of resources necessary to better graphics seems to come from the abandonment of directx 12 in general.

If the devs had planned to implement it was precisely in order to have more out of resources. :)

I'm drunk or is it animals?

This is engine preparation for procedural snow generation, maybe?. just guessing

when playing a little with a bud last night i noticed how bumpy the terrain off the road can be. and i gotta say it's fckn beautiful. i hope it's not a WIP side effect and that it won't be smoothed out. i feel like it's the first time in arma driving offroad actually feels like it's supposed to be. i guess it's a nice side effect of being able to increase the terrain poly count over the years.

Interesting post, as post #1183 says the opposite about the bumpy roads.

Wild feral animals would be a great addition, if they can add dogs and goats, then a Tiger/Leopard shouldn't be too difficult to model? Even a couple of fixed model macaques would certainly make the jungle feel more real.

There's already a Great White Shark being made for the waters, animals are often neglected in such games.

• Like 1

Apex predators would be pretty hard methinks.

Would be great to have jaguar/tigers but dont you think they would need a pretty advanced fsm compared to the current stock? Unless you dont mind them kinda hanging out, meandering in circles without a care in the world :P

Sharks would be easier as water is much easier pathfinding-wise.

• Like 2

@road runner: well. i was talking about offroad. i'm fine with level roads. i just like when going offroad means something more than getting magically slower on an even surface. i probably prefer level roads actually, just to save nerves and because of AI as has been mentioned. i also like the thrill of going waaaay too fast on a remote road wtih large trees on both sides. can't have that when EVERYTHING is bumpy.

well, just having some very rare predator SOUNDS would be great already. just to add some "implication" :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar9spNzOFPk

• Like 1

I think the Raptor mod with some deep jungle patrols be awesome. Sort of the scene from Jurassic World or any Jurassic with Raptors. But if you remember JW, they all swarm in middle of night in jungle after they find their new Alpha. The sounds, the rain drops, the jungle, the birds, its all perfect set up for a Raptor mission. Players task to patrol a jungle, have human raptors try and break the group up and ambush them. Patrol only equipped with flashlights :) Though the talk of Tigers and Leopards be awesome too! But I feel we already at a stretch with Raptors. Sharks though as mentioned, now that be awesome for Tanoa ocean. 

Apex predators would be pretty hard methinks.

Definitely, especially considering Arma's animation system, one of the biggest immersion killers in any game ever for me is the animations of 4-legged animals, once they stop just loitering around and start e.g hunting it almost always looks like shit with plenty of skating and other not-fit-for-the-situation-animation-stuff.

"Please switch off the game, wait until Steam downloads the DLC and start the game again"

Does anybody else have this message when launching/updating Dev brach from GameUpdater? Any fixes?

Yes, I'm getting that too. :(

Where? What? Which kind of animals?

Cloud ones I guess or imaginary ones. Has anyone found Weed farms? Or just generally some Herb growing somewhere?

• Like 1