pettka

Tanoa discussion (Dev-Branch)

You've forgot another ad sign under those ION, Red Burger, Pacific People's and Eastern Division Bank etc. ad signs, so they z-fight with each other.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T117524

/Every sign has the Dress Market sign under them which causes the problem.

We all provide feedback, but, lets try and be more constructive then just spout "wheres my trash". Thank you to the souls actually posting bug and errors and glitches on map. 

"Where's my trash" is just as valid a type of feedback as "the bucket (Item_Bucket_Crap_F) behind the Land_House_Shitter_F structure at [7102.123, 4134.12341, 0.00123] is slightly slanted at an abnormal 43 degree angle".  We're not QA, we're paying customers letting the developers know how we feel about the product.  While cinderblocks floating might be the most important thing to one person to many others the pristine look of a war torn island which breaks their immersion is much more important to them.  If you go 30 pages or so back you'll see that people were reporting floating cranes and what not and a developer came in and said "Yeah, we know, stop telling us, we're patching that tomorrow", so even the developers don't need every single map glitch documented to the exclusion of everything else.

Our impressions of the map as an experience are just as important to making Apex a wonderful release as any amateur QA we might do.  

That said, those who want more trash just spawn it in.  Those who want things clean have had to delete stuff all along, now it's your turn to make things messy. :)

• Like 1

This topic is for discussing Tanoa; and yes, I've also posted some pictures of bugs here, but a better place for reporting them would be of course the feedback-tracker.

What IS part of the discussion is if a gritty war zone could look like a Disney theme-park? Not saying Tanoa does, but that is part of the discussion; you might not have noticed it but most wars are fought in poor peoples back yards...

I'm sorry, since when does everything need to be a war zone? Why does every island need to be dirty and look like a cesspool? It's a tropical pacfic island, that was taken over by locals due to natural disaster. IIRC, No where was Tanoa labeled as being 'war torn'. If my memory serves me right, it's a island locals took over by abusing the aftermath of a natural disaster and taking control, and CSAT and NATO in region to stabilize. Not an active war zone. 

I don't see trash and wear on tear on some custom maps, and never see the complaints. But BIS puts out a new island, and all of a sudden people care about wear and tear and trash around... Amazing. 

I hope nothing gets touched about weathering and trash. It looks perfect the way it is. There is ton of little objects and things placed around the villages/cities to fulfill that 'trash look' and fill empty space. 

Island look tpo 'new' and buildings too clean? Oh, people actually care about their home and land and keep things clean, in a NON-WAR ZONE? Shocking!

the proportion of petty gripes sort of indicates they did a damn good job with the terrain. 

"not much to report"

I hope the buildings at the airport remain indestructible. As example, ATC towers on Altis was unusable because of object streaming and destructibility.

Parking respawnable vehicles in map hangars on Altis was also a big no-no, due to the collision with the ruin that spawns there when the hanger invariably blows up.

I agree. I think people are falling in the syndrome of "nothing to complain about, so i'm gonna complain about pitty things". Or just lazyness. Most people wanted to see a new island and explore it. Not actually bug test it. The same people that sign up for Alpha's, and will never report a single bug in the forum of the game...

Also fully agree on airport things. Makes exactly what you said easier this time by having things in hangars. Found that out last night actually ;)

EDIT:

@kylania,

Yea, I've noticed... Each people to their own opinion. Each person to value their own wants and wishes. But if people's #1 want and complaint is "too new" "too clean" then well, Hope I don't cross path with those people in-game. 

I've also did notice the later you said...

If you go 30 pages or so back you'll see that people were reporting floating cranes and what not and a developer came in and said "Yeah, we know, stop telling us, we're patching that tomorrow", so even the developers don't need every single map glitch documented to the exclusion of everything else.

I did notice this.. It irked the inner Q/A in me... It expected for some things, but that's not the thing you say as a Dev to the community you just released the island too. Also just shows BIS is slowly slipping... So we get Tanoa early to stare at and play, and 'encourage to give feedback'. But most of the bug reports are already 'we know' or fixed internally on many builds later then what we have... Basically its a glorified small demo. I don't want to ever hear that from BIS again "ya ya we know". No, you don't. You released this to us for this exact reason...How to irk a Q/A member, 101. 

You do know that this is a feedback threath not a report bugs here threath? its dev branch they know there are bugs in the map and they are ironing them out themself, what they want os constructive feedback on the map itself i.e. do you think it a good thing to place buildings here or should we put forest there or the music is amazing but it could last about 15 seconds longer kinda thingie not just everypne posting bug reports about what they found that where there Q/A department is for. If they release it and it has bugs thats when you post it or if you find a big bug that has not been fixed for 5/6 dev updates but otherwise thry to give constructive feedback about Tanoa ;)

Love the island, so not really complaining.  But here's another observation:

• AI can't navigate up stairs or ladders to any of the platforms, towers, etc. in the sugar refinery.   There are building positions on these objects, which implies you should be able to order AI to these positions...but alas they can't get there.

I did notice this.. It irked the inner Q/A in me... It expected for some things, but that's not the thing you say as a Dev to the community you just released the island too. Also just shows BIS is slowly slipping... So we get Tanoa early to stare at and play, and 'encourage to give feedback'. But most of the bug reports are already 'we know' or fixed internally on many builds later then what we have... Basically its a glorified small demo. I don't want to ever hear that from BIS again "ya ya we know". No, you don't. You released this to us for this exact reason...How to irk a Q/A member, 101. 

Well if the same bug is brought up multiple times without end it gets a bit frustrating, understandable that not everyone can be aware of what is reported and when (this is why feedback tracker is better cause it clusters the same problem into one page as opposed to spreading it). 

However its also possible that they got the build set up, thinking they had everything set in place as it should be but somewhere something got lost in translation and as a result things weren't where they should be, happens so very easily, but the build has been published and theres nothing you can do about it at the time (which honestly is even more infuriating).

You do know that this is a feedback threath not a report bugs here threath? its dev branch they know there are bugs in the map and they are ironing them out themself, what they want os constructive feedback on the map itself i.e. do you think it a good thing to place buildings here or should we put forest there or the music is amazing but it could last about 15 seconds longer kinda thingie not just everypne posting bug reports about what they found that where there Q/A department is for. If they release it and it has bugs thats when you post it or if you find a big bug that has not been fixed for 5/6 dev updates but otherwise thry to give constructive feedback about Tanoa ;)

IMO report every bug you find. Better report it early than later because the QA team will miss some bugs no matter how much they're paid, they're just humans. Even some very obvious bugs can sometimes slip through.

• Like 1

It's a mix of both, and the use of feedback tracker, yes I agree :). But not post of just "too clean, where the trash" one liners.

There shouldn't be trash everywhere, but there should be stacks of smoke from burning trash behind every shack... :P

There shouldn't be trash everywhere, but there should be stacks of smoke from burning trash behind every shack... :P

Hehe, I demand a Landfill Dump then for all this 'trash' :D

And, St. Jimmy here, he gets it. Thank you!

We like all the feedback: positive, negative, bug reports, feelings, experiences ... or no feedback, because you rather just get your first impressions in silence, or wait for the full release. There are no obligations, but we appreciate every contribution that leads to a better release and future support. Consider using Feedback Tracker for specific bugs or glitches, but mainly just keep it up ... and thanks!  :cheers:

• Like 15

Well my 2 cents of my experiences with the new map so far. 

Best map of the OFP/Arma series with difference. All the possible issues of Altis (which IMHO was one of the worse) were solved nicely. 

It feels fresh, there's a lot of variety, it's believable! I can just feel like I'm in a tropical island. The advertisements, shop signs, variety of streets, buildings, sounds, vegetation, really allow you to feel immersed. Also the lack of ruins, trash and others allows mission makers to prepare whatever plot they want, unlike Altis which was by far the most limited island of the series in that sense, as the car carcasses, container towers, domes, and FOBs allowed little variety of plots.

Thanks to Eden, if we want ruins, trash or fobs we can add them easily, for instance I have my own compositions. 

The fact that is an archipelago it also increases the possibilities (since I played the first OFP in 2001 I always wished to have different islands in one map, Sahrani was close).

I must recognise that the only downside of Tanoa is the lack of more enter-able buildings, hence no more missions of go to a village and clear it house by house (with my SimGroup we tended to do them a lot). But I can understand that performance wise, was an issue. I think that simply turning the 2-floor blue building that has like a covered balcony enter-able it would increase a lot the possibilities; as that building is in almost every village.

Middle-textures could also use some love, as right now flying over Tanoa feels a bit dull, but not a biggie.

In any case, really good job, and kudos to all the people in the environment team as well as external collaborators that helped making Tanoa the best map in the series by far  :wub:

PS: The jungle can be a bit creepy, I try to avoid going deep, as I don't want to experience PTSD  :P

• Like 6

It feels fresh, there's a lot of variety, it's believable! I can just feel like I'm in a tropical island. The advertisements, shop signs, variety of streets, buildings, sounds, vegetation, really allow you to feel immersed. Also the lack of ruins, trash and others allows mission makers to prepare whatever plot they want, unlike Altis which was by far the most limited island of the series in that sense, as the car carcasses, container towers, domes, and FOBs allowed little variety of plots.

Totally agree with this one. It was an issue for me too on Altis, where you just can't manage to have a clean island.

I must recognise that the only downside of Tanoa is the lack of more enter-able buildings, hence no more missions of go to a village and clear it house by house (with my SimGroup we tended to do it a lot). But I can understand that performance wise, was an issue. I think that simply turning the 2-floor blue building that has like a covered balcony enter-able it would increase a lot the possibilities; as that building is in almost every village.

+1 here too.

PS: The jungle can be a bit creepy, I try to avoid going deep, as I don't want to experience PTSD  :P

The horror... the horror... :D

• Like 2

Thanks to Eden, if we want ruins, trash or fobs we can add them easily, for instance I have my own compositions.

A bit off-topic, but it is equally easy to remove junk & ruins from Altis with a bit of scripting.

I get that Altis being depicted as a warn-torn island somehow limits possibilities for mission makers, but on the other hand, Arma never had a rock-solid civilian traffic system. All the terrains we got to play on felt more or less devoided of life (except for a few missions in AO); BI's depiction of Lemnos makes sense IMO, and I think Altis is a rather good map in that regard. It doesn't feel less believable than Chernarus to me.

The real issue is the scale of the island and its towns, wich makes them even more difficult to bring to life (wich obviously never was the intention); but Tanoa seems to be much more manageable... Let's hope those new civilians assets aren't meant to Life servers only. ;)

Well at 55 pages, this might have already been brought up, so my apologies if it already was and please disregard.

Grid 090106-ish, NNE of the Tanouka town center, the railroad crosses a dirt road and sits atop it. There is no grade crossing, nor is the track sunk into the dirt to suggest a dirt level crossing as it is on some of the other level crossings on dirt roads elsewhere on the map. As a railroad fanatic, it looks out of place to me as you wouldn't want car tires hitting the railroad ties square on as people tried to cross the tracks on a regular basis.

Glad I was able to get dev branch working. Enjoying spending a bit of my day looking around the island.

Hi everyone,  I really like the map a big well done and thank you to the creators.  The only thing that came to my mind was 4 of 5 runways being paved.  I feel it is a little strange to have 4 high grade runways like this on the map.  Maybe make 3 of 5 dirt/grass runways? Or just 2?  How do people feel? 

Hi everyone,  I really like the map a big well done and thank you to the creators.  The only thing that came to my mind was 4 of 5 runways being paved.  I feel it is a little strange to have 4 high grade runways like this on the map.  Maybe make 3 of 5 dirt/grass runways? Or just 2?  How do people feel? 

It's a bit odd for such a small island, but multiple airports in close proximity to eachother is not unheard of. Especially when you consider military and private installations.

an enemy AI see and fire through bushes or trees in Tonoa ????

an enemy AI see and fire through bushes or trees in Tonoa ????

I did not produce this video, I'm just a subscriber.

• Like 2

Just going to give my general thoughts

What I like about this DLC is that it allows for new things to be done, and different kinds of battles to be fought. The bridge, the thick jungle everywhere, the excavation site, the small cities. these are all things that lead to battles you wouldn't get on the Altis/Stratis and I love Tanoa for it. I'm disappointed at the lack of interiors for some buildings, but overall I'm very pleased with the DLC so far.

Sorry for being  repetitive but you guys need to do something with the mid range textures.. I mean the map is gorgeous , I don't even want to fight on the island but the only thing that might look less good is the mid range textures. I hope that either BI or some modder can work on it.

• Like 4

Totally agree with this one. It was an issue for me too on Altis, where you just can't manage to have a clean island.

+1 here too.

+2

Played Escape Tanoa last night on a random server an I hav'nt had that..run for my life feeling since OFP :D

• Like 1

Sorry for being being repetitive but you guys need to do something with the mid range textures.. I mean the map is gorgeous , I don't even want to fight on the island but the only thing that might look less good is the mid range textures. I hope that either BI or some modder can work on it.

Arma would not be Arma without proper mid-range texture issues, right? ;)