pettka

Tanoa discussion (Dev-Branch)

Played a CSAR mission the other day with a few friends, and I have to say, the jungle SOUNDS beautiful. It was raining while we played and it really sounded like and felt like the rain was actually there. Absolutely splendid.

Do you see the same performance increase with larger shadow distance on Altis?  Takistan?

Not in the same level of performance change but the same effect is there. Without AtoC the change is 6fps when playing with shadows. Btw the Kamino firing range video that I posted earlier in this page is still valid. GTX970 drops to around 40fps when having goodies on. That's the treeline where I tested it when answering you.

Guest ti0n3r

I am sorry to tell you this ... but your CPU can't handle it, AMD is worst CPU for gaming.

- disable the new water reflections

- set viewdistance not over 1600

- set terrain and object both to high

- set textures to high or very high

- disable PIP

- disable ATOC

- set AA not over 4x, if still scope lag set it to 2x AA

- do not run Arma3 on Windows 10

Also for nvidia users, might be worth disabling AA transparency in the nvidia control pannel. From what I have seen ever since A2, this setting seems to conflict with AtoC, causing input latency and fps drops. (AtoC and AA transparency basically do the same thing I think.)

Anyone else who experienced this?

On my opinion tanoa looks to clean and perfect, there is no junk around it, wrecked cars or abadoned buildings.

I went to revisit Altis, and what struck me almost instantly is that the perception of the climate is missing on Tanoa;

Both Altis and Stratis have these scorched arid area's that immediately make you aware of the blistering sun above.

Tanoa's green and lush appearance does not communicate this, which would not be a problem if the man made structures would show signs of the damaging heat...

But they don't, they are way too clean. Facades, roofs, roads deteriorate quickly, and where they get maintained it shows, and when they lack maintenance it shows even more.

The tension between the two would add character not only to the towns/villages, but to the island as a whole.

• Like 2

I went to revisit Altis, and what struck me almost instantly is that the perception of the climate is missing on Tanoa;

Both Altis and Stratis have these scorched arid area's that immediately make you aware of the blistering sun above.

Tanoa's green and lush appearance does not communicate this, which would not be a problem if the man made structures would show signs of the damaging heat...

But they don't, they are way too clean. Facades, roofs, roads deteriorate quickly, and where they get maintained it shows, and when they lack maintenance it shows even more.

The tension between the two would add character not only to the towns/villages, but to the island as a whole.

Too right.

Suns blisters everything, particularly paint, varnish & plastic.

High humidity from sea and/or tropics rots everything, particularly wood.

In terms of texture quality, I feel that Far Cry 3 did a good job.

Do some google maps street view around Fiji before commenting on these design characteristics :)

article-2426050-1BEAC1CC000005DC-663_964

• Like 2

Do some google maps street view around Fiji before commenting on these design characteristics :)

Exactly, I was just about to say that. A lot of the asphalt roads do look like they do in game; some old some new.

A suggestion would be to add a bit more dirt on some of the ones closer inside the jungle that have dirt on the side of the road(see image).  

I do agree, however, that a lot of the wooden materials should probably look a bit more worn out/faded.

RuUPAZE.jpg

On my opinion tanoa looks to clean and perfect, there is no junk around it, wrecked cars or abadoned buildings.

I think everyone has been playing on Altis too long. Why would there be alot of abandoned buildings and wrecked cars? People are supposed live on Tanoa (and actually there are plenty of boarded up shacks that you can't enter, as well as the occasional pile of boxes and other refuse, crates, building materials etc). Also, if you actually look at the textures of buildings, you do see signs of dirt and cracks. I think the vibrant colours are just contrasting with the arid, abandoned wasteland that everyone is used to.

• Like 2

@Sgt.Jimmy I've just tested and had the same results: FFAA+ATOC disabled and 200 meters Shadown in the scope resulted in 95FPS

However close range it decreased fps (40 -> 35), then putting shadow to 50 it increased the fps again (60FPS)

specs:

AMD FX8350 @4.0Ghz

24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz

GTX 980 GDDR5 4GB

arma 3 on SSD (~500 MB read/write)

• Like 2

You totally misunderstood my remark:

It is not about how it looks in real life, it's about communicating those aspects of a scenery that are not reproducible (eg. heat), by other means.

There's no doubt you'd experience the cool sea breeze, or choking hot air once you leave your air-conditioned hotel room...

But hey, it's a game; you're not really there...

What I'm hinting at is that when you visit Tanoa while living in Siberia, midwinter, you'd put your sunglasses and finest Hawaii-shirt on because it's going to get hot! B)

• Like 1

You totally misunderstood my remark:

It is not about how it looks in real life, it's about communicating those aspects of a scenery that are not reproducible (eg. heat), by other means.

There's no doubt you'd experience the cool sea breeze, or choking hot air once you leave your air-conditioned hotel room...

But hey, it's a game; you're not really there...

What I'm hinting at is that when you visit Tanoa while living in Siberia, midwinter, you'd put your sunglasses and finest Hawaii-shirt on because it's going to get hot! B)

how do you communicate heat/temperature to the player?

reduced stamina? :D

• Like 2

Have optics fog up on you 1st thing in the morning when the humidity is in the 25-30% bracket! :D

• Like 1

A simple heat haze on the roads would do it. While we're at it, specularity on the vegetation would be a massive immersion booster when it rains (also, bring back the rain drops on the ground already).

• Like 2

Told you in my initial post.

How do you reproduce the experience of nearby garbage without smell? The sound of flies, lots of them...

• Like 3

A few small requests:

1. Buildings on stilts should be enterable.  They are such simple buildings, i don't know why not.

2. You should be able to crawl under buildings on stilts.  Currently you are blocked:

crawl.jpg

3. Outhouses need toilets.  I'm serious...we've always had them in the past, and they're great for the occasional cutscene.  Plus its an immersion breaker when you open the door and there's not one.

outhouse.jpg

• Like 2

Found an Error with sounds:

instead of changing one FX Sound with another - there should be a smooth crossfade between the two (in this examples its the rain splash sound from the house - in real life sounds travel farther than 1-2 cm ;) )

Video: Tanoa - Rain - player near a house:

https://youtu.be/voZgzIXDkdE?t=179

the same goes with left right ear mix aswell. the left ear also hears sounds from the right side of the head (just not as loud) - there is no perfect difference where the right ear hears a sound and the left ear hears absolutely nothing from this sound.

If s.o. could add these to the Bug Tracker would be really appreciated!

--

as a rule of thumb: as with everything in life and nature Smooth Transitions are the key to everything ^^

I would like to see automated fogging or hazing (separate than the environmental options) in and around the airports and low laying areas as temp/dew point marry and wind dies down, as most located are near water. This would make the aviation aspect more challenging and more life-like.

Thanks,

Reed

• Like 1

Have optics fog up on you 1st thing in the morning when the humidity is in the 25-30% bracket! :D

agreed

unfortunately humidity in game is basically just modeled as  'is it raining?' 

if rain > 0 then humidity = 1

if rain = 0 then humidity quickly drops to 0

These bushes are rapidly phasing out of existence before reappearing. I didn't know bushes could travel across dimensions...

33OHJxg.pngdqUSgyT.png

You know, this is a feedback thread, But I can't help but SMH at all the post regarding this...

"Map is too clean"

"Nothing is dirty"

"Where is the wear and tear?"

"Can you make this building enterable? PRETTY PLEASE?"

All valid feedback and points, to ones personal belief... But really, this is the feedback we are sending? Not bug reports. Not objects floating. Not things not straight. Not things like LOD issues. (Okay, all have been noted, but go back 10 pages, count how many times you read "Map too clean, Where is the wear and tear, Why is there no trash?").. Its insane how many of you are complaining about how clean the map is, but not actually doing a Q/A job to examine and find bugs/missing things/floaters/non-aligned objects, missing textures, etc etc. Instead, we are complaining because a island is kept, too clean?... Sigh. 

If I was a dev and helped make Tanoa, and only to read "map is too clean, too bright, where the trash? where the wear and tear?" without reporting actual critical bugs and things found... I'd be a little upbeat. All my work and hours done, just to people cry over no trash or no wear and tear? Good lord. Then come full release, and bugs and things still on Tanoa will exist, and people will shout "why was this not found earlier?" Oh right, we complained about trash and wear and tear, not report bugs. The things most of you are wanting is comstetic changes that can easily be added after Tanoa's release. Go in the texture files, add some brushes and make some wear and tear. Adding trash is just placing more objects down in Builder... 90% of the things people want, are little things that are not release critical...

We all provide feedback, but, lets try and be more constructive then just spout "wheres my trash". Thank you to the souls actually posting bug and errors and glitches on map. 

/amazed at people and what they complain about..

• Like 6

You know, this is a feedback thread, But I can't help but SMH at all the post regarding this...

"Map is too clean"

"Nothing is dirty"

"Where is the wear and tear?"

"Can you make this building enterable? PRETTY PLEASE?"

All valid feedback and points, to ones personal belief... But really, this is the feedback we are sending? Not bug reports. Not objects floating. Not things not straight. Not things like LOD issues. (Okay, all have been noted, but go back 10 pages, count how many times you read "Map too clean, Where is the wear and tear, Why is there no trash?").. Its insane how many of you are complaining about how clean the map is, but not actually doing a Q/A job to examine and find bugs/missing things/floaters/non-aligned objects, missing textures, etc etc. Instead, we are complaining because a island is kept, too clean?... Sigh. 

If I was a dev and helped make Tanoa, and only to read "map is too clean, too bright, where the trash? where the wear and tear?" without reporting actual critical bugs and things found... I'd be a little upbeat. All my work and hours done, just to people cry over no trash or no wear and tear? Good lord. Then come full release, and bugs and things still on Tanoa will exist, and people will shout "why was this not found earlier?" Oh right, we complained about trash and wear and tear, not report bugs. The things most of you are wanting is comstetic changes that can easily be added after Tanoa's release. Go in the texture files, add some brushes and make some wear and tear. Adding trash is just placing more objects down in Builder... 90% of the things people want, are little things that are not release critical...

We all provide feedback, but, lets try and be more constructive then just spout "wheres my trash". Thank you to the souls actually posting bug and errors and glitches on map. 

/amazed at people and what they complain about..

the proportion of petty gripes sort of indicates they did a damn good job with the terrain. 

"not much to report"

I hope the buildings at the airport remain indestructible. As example, ATC towers on Altis was unusable because of object streaming and destructibility.

Parking respawnable vehicles in map hangars on Altis was also a big no-no, due to the collision with the ruin that spawns there when the hanger invariably blows up.

Bla, bla, bla...

This topic is for discussing Tanoa; and yes, I've also posted some pictures of bugs here, but a better place for reporting them would be of course the feedback-tracker.

What IS part of the discussion is if a gritty war zone could look like a Disney theme-park? Not saying Tanoa does, but that is part of the discussion; you might not have noticed it but most wars are fought in poor peoples back yards...

• Like 2